Critical Language Scholarship 2021 Applicants

Umenohana

Hi all, CLS Bangla finalist here. I just got off the alternate list and I have no idea what to do. I did the same program that the CLS is organized through last year--in a virtual format--and I hated it. Normally I love learning new languages, going to class, and working through the struggle of finding your way in a new linguistic context, but doing this online just sounds absolutely miserable. I'm wondering whether I should decline the offer, and if I do, whether that hurts my chances of getting the CLS again. Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, phantomramen1 said:

Hi all, CLS Bangla finalist here. I just got off the alternate list and I have no idea what to do. I did the same program that the CLS is organized through last year--in a virtual format--and I hated it. Normally I love learning new languages, going to class, and working through the struggle of finding your way in a new linguistic context, but doing this online just sounds absolutely miserable. I'm wondering whether I should decline the offer, and if I do, whether that hurts my chances of getting the CLS again. Does anyone know?

I don't think it will hurt your chances. They will understand, and accepting now would count against your two-time limit that you could participate in CLS. 

5 hours ago, phantomramen1 said:

I would suggest trying to speak to others who did CLS Bangla last year (if there was a virtual institute for it) and hear about their experiences. In general, participants of virtual programs said it was absolutely worth it, but if your worries are about Bangla specifically, it may be worth it to talk to others.

But as someone above said, it will not hurt your chances at all if you decline now. If you already decided you don't want to do it this year, don't worry about having to decline. 

7 hours ago, phantomramen1 said:

I got alternate to finalist for CLS bengali too and I'm having the same dilemma. I was excited for doing CLS in person, but I really don't know about this online format. I'm not really a fan of learning languages in a classroom. I was never good at it and it felt mindnumbing. 

How was your experience doing it online? Was there anything special or was it just a long duolingo course? 

Also a Bangla finalist! I accepted it though already and took the OPI, since I've mainly heard good feedback about the virtual institutes and it made me optimistic, as well as this is my last opportunity for CLS. From what I've heard it sounds like it's been really productive for many language-wise, generally, saw quite a few people mention they'd jump 2-4 levels on the OPI. Will miss that in-person culture aspect, but, alas. 

Last fall though I saw Bangla was virtual and literally only had five people in the program, so I do believe we'd get a lot of one-on-one time and attention if that's still the case. 

56 minutes ago, hannahfischer said:

Participation in CLS Virtual Institutes in Summer or Fall 2020 does not count towards the limit of two participations!! 

*** this is true but does NOT apply to 2021 Virtual Institutes. If you participate in 2021, it does count against the limit.

4 hours ago, thediesel said:

Where did you hear this?

I read this directly on the CLS website. It is under FAQs and the subheader "I participated in a previous CLS institute. Provided that I meet the other eligibility requirements, can I apply again?" But I am unaware of whether or not this applies to 2021 virtual institutes. I did CLS Hindi virtually last year and am a finalist for the virtual institute again this year. I have said yes, but 

4 hours ago, Umenohana said:

*** this is true but does NOT apply to 2021 Virtual Institutes. If you participate in 2021, it does count against the limit.

if this is true it does make me a little sad that a virtual program will count towards the limit as what I really desire is to study my target language in the region.