MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 minute ago, Deeeleeeeahhhhhh said:

I am on print media, have you paid your studio deposit yet? I’m just curious 

I've tried calling to do so a few times but haven't gotten in touch! I emailed Philip about it and he said not to worry, that they will eventually reach out about it.. ahah

12 minutes ago, Deeeleeeeahhhhhh said:

I am on print media, have you paid your studio deposit yet? I’m just curious 

10 minutes ago, zizu said:

I've tried calling to do so a few times but haven't gotten in touch! I emailed Philip about it and he said not to worry, that they will eventually reach out about it.. ahah

Ahhh okay just making sure low key freaking out about it haha. Thank you for putting my mind at ease! 

15 hours ago, teetertotterr said:

i'm struggling so hard with this last min choice...

SAIC LOW RES OR SVA LOW RES

Please.... advise! I'm back and forth and back and forth-

My vote is for SVA because of the networking opportunities and sheer size of New York. Chicago seems to be more cutting edge technology wise, and is a newer city, but it is simply not NYC. You’d probably have access to a nicer fabrication lab in Chicago (I looked into SAIC a little).

This opinion is purely based on my “vibes” and I in no way know anything about SVA. 

Anyone know whats up with schools doing this? Screenshot below of an email from Pratt, that says they are accepting applications through April 15 ...... I'm assuming this year was really big for applications so curious as to why schools would do this.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 11.15.49 AM.png

Edited by salad

1 hour ago, salad said:

Anyone know whats up with schools doing this? Screenshot below of an email from Pratt, that says they are accepting applications through April 15 ...... I'm assuming this year was really big for applications so curious as to why schools would do this.

It means they want your money and will take anyone willing to pay to go there at this point. 

2 minutes ago, ThisSideOfPairOfDice said:

Congratulations (and also sorry because it’s nerve racking to not have a solid answer)!  Have you applied to other programs? 

I’m sorry for the bad news! I know its a very expensive school and I am still figuring out how I’m going to afford any of these programs.

I have offers to Tufts, SVA and SAIC (post bac tho). I’m leaning towards SVA because of the city and the programs focus on building practical skills for entering **the market**. Tufts seems to be the most welcoming though

Have you applied elsewhere?

4 hours ago, salad said:

That does seem concerning.  You would think with an excess of applications this year they would have enough to fill the programs.

Just got into UW in Seattle for Photo (got a call from the faculty). I was the first one on their waitlist, and I assumed someone said “no”. 

now I am waiting to know what is the financial side of things. 

if someone knows anyone who goes or went to UW - please hit me up. 

12 hours ago, ThisSideOfPairOfDice said:

My vote is for SVA because of the networking opportunities and sheer size of New York. Chicago seems to be more cutting edge technology wise, and is a newer city, but it is simply not NYC. You’d probably have access to a nicer fabrication lab in Chicago (I looked into SAIC a little).

This opinion is purely based on my “vibes” and I in no way know anything about SVA. 

Same, I'm having a hard time choosing between SVA and SAIC!!! I'm a returning student - kind of a mid-career artist with a young family on the west coast, which is why I'm doing the low res programs. Would love feedback on which one might be best for my career!!

9 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

I’m sorry for the bad news! I know its a very expensive school and I am still figuring out how I’m going to afford any of these programs.

I have offers to Tufts, SVA and SAIC (post bac tho). I’m leaning towards SVA because of the city and the programs focus on building practical skills for entering **the market**. Tufts seems to be the most welcoming though

Thanks for your condolences! I hope you figure your finances out. SVA seems like a pretty solid school, and it should be perfect for **the market** haha. I was looking to get into Brooklyn College, but after getting accepted I realized I didn't want more loans, so I'm basing my decision on financial aid and hoping that the Tampa market is enough for me to get my foot in the door.

I applied to a bunch of schools (mainly subsidized schools), but have only been accepted to: The University of South Dakota w/ financial aid, The University of South Florida Tampa, w/ financial aid, Brooklyn College no financial aid, and The University of Arkansas - waitlisted.

Rejected: Tulane, Columbia, Yale, Saic, IU Bloomington and waiting to hear back on 2 more. 

23 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

Let me know if you're coming to SVA. I most probably am too

Hey all, I'm here to share my results for Bard MFA in Painting. I applied once before and was rejected. Received an invitation to interview this time around, which put me over the moon. On March 12th I was notified that I was on the waitlist. And today I was informed I've been rejected.

Waitlist news was devastating -- seeing the writing on the wall -- but this rejection, I think I can more easily accept. I feel okay. I'm old so this may be the end of my MFA dreams, but it's okay. But there are other routes forward I can see for myself and that's the important thing.

Edited by 123123435

4 hours ago, 123123435 said:

Hey all, I'm here to share my results for Bard MFA in Painting...

HI 123123435!!!!! 

Man... Reading your post hit me kinda hard. Nahhh... I doubt you feel okay, and it's okay to not feel okay. Being rejected sucks at any age. 

Here's my story: I only applied to one university, this semester. I did my interview and it SUCKED. I was SO sick with a fever and high on cough medicine that I barely remember it. After that I never heard anything back except for an email yesterday of them saying that they needed some financial aid supplement and tax returns or something. For WHAT??? But I got nothing from the department, whatsoever. AT LEAST YOU GOT PUT ON A WAITING LIST. That's awesome and an accomplishment! They just fuckin FORGOT about me, lol!

My situation sounds like it sucks, amirite? But these things happen, tho. Listen... You and I have a couple things in common, yeah? I'm older as well, like YOU. I'm 44 years old, a middle age artist, and I'm going to apply for an MFA again for next year because I want to teach kids how to create art at the collegiate or HS level and I feel that my Chicano Art and Culture is something that benefits society and would be an asset to any art department. You can't give up just because of your age, you've got your OWN good things to share that will make us a better society, especially for the kids and the old people! You gotta know that.

If you apply this fall 2021 for next year, I've got a good feeling that the third times gonna be the charm for you. Just keep your head up, stay positive, and never stop making art. Make a drawing a day. Take a sketch pad with you everywhere. Do good things for people and bring others up! Oh, and... MAKE A LOT OF ART, AND START NOW. :D

It's gonna happen for you homie, I just KNOW it!

JoyousDistinctIndianglassfish-small.gif

Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2

On 4/9/2021 at 1:52 AM, MFA Troll said:

Was there an excess of MFA applications this year?

Yale reported that 'significantly less' students applied to their grad MFA program this year, so I doubt there's an excess of applications. 

MFA programs are typically seen as a money-maker for universities and many top schools (like CalArts & VCU) offered "rolling" or "extended" deadlines this year--and as we all know, most schools are looking at budget shortfalls for the near future. I wouldn't be concerned about Pratt.

11 hours ago, San Diego Stone said:

HI 123123435!!!!! 

Man... Reading your post hit me kinda hard. Nahhh... I doubt you feel okay, and it's okay to not feel okay. Being rejected sucks at any age. 

Here's my story: I only applied to one university, this semester. I did my interview and it SUCKED. I was SO sick with a fever and high on cough medicine that I barely remember it. After that I never heard anything back except for an email yesterday of them saying that they needed some financial aid supplement and tax returns or something. For WHAT??? But I got nothing from the department, whatsoever. AT LEAST YOU GOT PUT ON A WAITING LIST. That's awesome and an accomplishment! They just fuckin FORGOT about me, lol!

My situation sounds like it sucks, amirite? But these things happen, tho. Listen... You and I have a couple things in common, yeah? I'm older as well, like YOU. I'm 44 years old, a middle age artist, and I'm going to apply for an MFA again for next year because I want to teach kids how to create art at the collegiate or HS level and I feel that my Chicano Art and Culture is something that benefits society and would be an asset to any art department. You can't give up just because of your age, you've got your OWN good things to share that will make us a better society, especially for the kids and the old people! You gotta know that.

If you apply this fall 2021 for next year, I've got a good feeling that the third times gonna be the charm for you. Just keep your head up, stay positive, and never stop making art. Make a drawing a day. Take a sketch pad with you everywhere. Do good things for people and bring others up! Oh, and... MAKE A LOT OF ART, AND START NOW. :D

It's gonna happen for you homie, I just KNOW it!

JoyousDistinctIndianglassfish-small.gif

Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes on Apple iOS 14.2

I am the same age as you are!

Hi all, 

It seems this application season is coming to an end, before it does I wanted to leave here some pieces of advice that helped me in this application process for those of you who haven't applied yet, or will apply again next year. 

This was a tough year for applying. Even though I have a feeling overall applications were less, most programs were also accepting *significantly* less people. For example, for painting programs I know, Yale accepted two thirds their usual number, that's 12 instead of 18, and UCLA accepted 1 or 2 people instead of 3 or 4 for painting.  So there's a chance that if you got waitlisted somewhere you would have been an admit during a non-covid year. U Wahington I think also accepted less people, Rutgers and Stanford didn't even open admissions this year. 

Anyways, here are my two cents:

-I did my best in interviews when I had a bullet point list of things about my practice (besides my usual elevator pitch) that are unique to me and that enlighten some ways in which I can contribute to the specific program. I tried to weave these points in regardless of what questions were asked. Have questions prepared, and use them as a way of saying something about who you are and what you care about. Best advice I've been given for interviews: be excited and show it. Practice interviewing, the questions they ask tend to be similar across programs, at least some of the questions, such as: why grad school why now? why this program? what faculty do you want to work with? how do you see your work evolving? how are you in communities? what are you reading now? artists your work is in dialogue with? Be yourself, and don't worry about seeming perfect. 

-Do your research really well, apply to schools where you actually see yourself going, research the city, the orgs around, and of course research the courses offered and faculty.

-If you can reach out to current students or alumni, they will be able to give you a clear impression of what things are really like. However, do take these with a grain of salt. At the end of the day I believe an MFA will be what we make of it, someone else's experience is not always indicative of how things will be like for YOU. Ask if they would be willing to share a syllabus with you, or at least describe the kind of material they are studying. Talking to students may also give you a chance to speak more honestly, don't be afraid to reach out to people you don't know, via email, politely. A lot of schools have public lists of current students.

-Remember at the end of the day for many schools it comes down to forming a cohort that will work well together. So, have in mind sometimes rejections are due to that.

That's all, if I think of something else I will respond here! :):)

Edited by Hphphphp