MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

6 hours ago, HB9bird said:

I felt the same way about UMD after my interview! So nice to hear someone else had the same experience. I’ve been accepted into their ceramics program as well. My decision will come down to funding, but I really really enjoyed my interview.

Regarding a highly ranked school vs. not...Someone shared some advice they were given & it resonated with me. They were told to pick a school that’s in a place you could see yourself living in for 2-3 years & a professor that you want to work with. I think that bit about the professor is extra important.

Thanks!! And congrats on your acceptance as well. Since I posted this, I have gotten more information about UMD from alumni that has steered me toward other programs that I've been accepted to being a better fit. Good luck on your decision! 

3 hours ago, Painfullywaiting said:

Its a very confusing question that I don’t fully comprehend. I totally butchered it in my interview. Maybe how our practice and concepts relate historically to our medium? 

But what if one has an interdisciplinary practice using lots of medium??? Or are we talking specifically about photography here

31 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

But what if one has an interdisciplinary practice using lots of medium??? Or are we talking specifically about photography here

I said in my original comment that this was a hypothetical question posed by one of my previous professors from SAIC. He was a ceramics professor. I did end up getting asked this question in my interview with Tyler (ceramics.) I mentioned it because it’s definitely a question that could pertain to other mediums and it’s a toughy. If you are applying to an interdisciplinary program this might not be a question you have to worry about. 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, refereemandem said:

my honest opinion is if you're committed to gaining knowledge and becoming a better artist then that's valid enough reason for an mfa at any school.

Every rejection makes you stronger. Life is inherently not easy.

Especially the life of a working artist.

If you've gotten an interview anywhere, I'd mention taking a brief moment to be proud of yourself, it's an accomplishment. If you haven't gotten an interview then perhaps take it as fuel to work harder. There's always room for improvement. Your best work is ahead of you and not in the present. 

From lurking on this site for many years, through many rounds of my own applications. The main source of dissatisfaction seems to be the the difference between expectation and reality. 

(end of rant)

ps. interview tip- get a friend to mock interview you, multiple times- so you get used to talking and answering the questions commonly asked in the interviews. This will get your ideas coherent and you will be able to speak fluidly. 

Yes! I second a mock interview as prep. Although maybe because I only did it once so I still felt super nervous and my mind still did go blank a couple times. Lol. But it did help to get feedback prior to the real thing. 

My other interview is for UIUC tomorrow. Good luck to those still preparing and waiting!! I agree that wherever you are in the process, recognizing your efforts so far before continuing to work is important too!

Edited by Purplepinkey

7 hours ago, jdsh said:

I saw someone already posting about having a painting interview with UCLA - does anyone know about their interdisciplinary studio? I haven't heard anything. I have an interview coming up with SAIC (Photography, but my work is interdisciplinary) and Northwestern ATP, extremely nervous about both. The questions shared here have been really helpful.

Hi! I’ m also curious about the interdisciplinary studio, do you have a website, would you mind if i have a look at it??

8 hours ago, jdsh said:

I saw someone already posting about having a painting interview with UCLA - does anyone know about their interdisciplinary studio? I haven't heard anything. I have an interview coming up with SAIC (Photography, but my work is interdisciplinary) and Northwestern ATP, extremely nervous about both. The questions shared here have been really helpful.

I am applying for New Genre and Interdisciplinary and I haven't heard anything yet... knowing that someone in painting got interview kindda freaks me out ?

14 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

Just had my interview with Parsons which was held with their Director of Grad Studies James Ramer and one of Photography Profs Simone Douglas. It went for a long time- 35 minutes, and I think was quite successful. They asked about conceptual part of my portfolio and asked to speak about several images of my choosing. One of the questions caught me of guard - the political relationship between my subjects and the monochrome style of my work, but I think I was able to spin it. I was quite nervous in the beginning though, so I think my speech at first sounded a bit laboured. But I do hope that overall I did well. 

Still waiting on Tulane, U of Washington, CalArts, USC (UT did not contact me but I am sure it is a rejection)

The interview with parsons was it just mainly those two questions about the conceptual part of your portfolio and speaking about images of your choosing? If you don't mind me asking did you get a BFA in undergrad?

I've been watching/lurking on this forum for the last three weeks figured I would jump in. 

I applied to MFA photo programs:

Parson - interview (next week)

Pratt - interview (next week)

RISD - radio silence

Yale - denied 

SAIC - interview (next week)

Columbia Chicago - radio silence

Did anyone else apply to RISD or Columbia Chicago for MFA photo and already get word back?

On 1/27/2021 at 11:16 PM, slickjaketheruler said:

For anyone that applied to SMFA at Tufts in Boston, I just got an interview request. So you may get one soon if you applied. 

Still waiting on: 

SAIC

Tyler School of Art

MECA

SUNY Purchase

Have you heard from Purchase? First time I see them mentioned on this thread. 

11 hours ago, CheesyClay said:

Thanks!! And congrats on your acceptance as well. Since I posted this, I have gotten more information about UMD from alumni that has steered me toward other programs that I've been accepted to being a better fit. Good luck on your decision! 

Good for you! Finding the best place for you is what’s most important.

Interesting to hear about the alumni...hmm

14 minutes ago, geemun said:

Have you heard from Purchase? First time I see them mentioned on this thread. 

I applied to Purchase but no word yet. Deadline was 02/01 and I know they were having issues with their portal so deadline was extended for some. I don't expect to hear anything for a while...

On 2/11/2021 at 5:16 AM, Popopopo said:

Hi! I’ m also curious about the interdisciplinary studio, do you have a website, would you mind if i have a look at it??

I'm thinking maybe they do interview for other disciplines at UCLA? like the painting one - anyway, that's what I'm telling myself until get a rejection

Just now, Paintyface said:

I applied to Purchase but no word yet. Deadline was 02/01 and I know they were having issues with their portal so deadline was extended for some. I don't expect to hear anything for a while...

Yeah the portal was TERRIBLE! I had to send some of my materials directly to admissions. Well, good to know that I can relax for a little bit, aha.