MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

"The above is an abbreviated artist lecture-style presentation.  We will spend the remainder of the time asking questions as a group (our recent grad students will join us as well).  Also, you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the program." 

For anyone giving an "artist talk" style interview with recent grad students as well as faculty (mine is with Tyler if that helps), do you know if they will all be given your artist statement prior to the interview? I am unsure about how much background/context will be needed and that would be taken care of if the students have already read my statement. 

18 minutes ago, katkat said:

Just wanted to share I got an invite to interview with University of Michigan last night. If anyone has any good questions to ask I would love some help with that. I feel like I blank every time at that part..

Grats and I heard that Stamps is pretty awesome. Experimental?

24 minutes ago, katkat said:

Just wanted to share I got an invite to interview with University of Michigan last night. If anyone has any good questions to ask I would love some help with that. I feel like I blank every time at that part..

I've asked questions about grad student outcomes, ie do graduates stay in the area? Does the program have specific objectives for their grads? What kinds of things have students recently gone on to do?

Congrats on the interview! Who contacted you about it?

Hey, guys. U of Washington told me that they want to have an interview with me with just audio. Did anyone ever hear of such practice? Seems kind of weird to me. I am like paranoid right now that they want to talk just with audio because they don't really want to see me in their school, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

On 2/11/2021 at 2:13 PM, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, can I ask what did you talk about in that introductory CalArts video? I am uploading one today. (I reached out to admissions and they I allowed me to do it)

I just came here to see about Columbia news but as an undergraduate alum of CalArts I just wanted to absolutely advise against setting foot in that wretched place! Good luck everywhere else.

1 minute ago, life-is-just-a-feeling said:

I just came here to see about Columbia news but as an undergraduate alum of CalArts I just wanted to absolutely advise against setting foot in that wretched place! Good luck everywhere else.

God. CalArts is my top choice school, so it is very interesting turn of events what you are saying here. Do you mind elaborating? (You can send me a private message if you feel more comfortable that way rather than sharing publicly) 

3 minutes ago, life-is-just-a-feeling said:

Can you share more about your experience? This concerns me as CalArts was one of my top choices, but I've never visited the campus...

2 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

God. CalArts is my top choice school, so it is very interesting turn of events what you are saying here. Do you mind elaborating? (You can send me a private message if you feel more comfortable that way rather than sharing publicly) 

Yes, same, if you prefer to share privately!

15 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, guys. U of Washington told me that they want to have an interview with me with just audio. Did anyone ever hear of such practice? Seems kind of weird to me. I am like paranoid right now that they want to talk just with audio because they don't really want to see me in their school, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

I totally understand the feeling, but try to not worry about it! I have an interview next week that is just audio as well, so it definitely isn’t unheard of. I try to think of it as an advantage, the pressure of looking presentable is off the table! It also gives you more of a chance to look through your notes. It is such an accomplishment to get an interview and it means that the school is interested in seeing how you would fit in there. You’ll do great!! 

Just now, graciej said:

I totally understand the feeling, but try to not worry about it! I have an interview next week that is just audio as well, so it definitely isn’t unheard of. I try to think of it as an advantage, the pressure of looking presentable is off the table! It also gives you more of a chance to look through your notes. It is such an accomplishment to get an interview and it means that the school is interested in seeing how you would fit in there. You’ll do great!! 

Thank you, you sound really kind. (About looking presentable, lol, I always take interviews in just my home shirt with a blazer on and like no pants and no underwear haha). I guess I am just surprised that they don't want to like... properly meet the candidates. Like how do they know, maybe I eat my own snort and in all other ways a monster.

4 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Thank you, you sound really kind. (About looking presentable, lol, I always take interviews in just my home shirt with a blazer on and like no pants and no underwear haha). I guess I am just surprised that they don't want to like... properly meet the candidates. Like how do they know, maybe I eat my own snort and in all other ways a monster.

I did some research about interview bias in undergrad and I think this might be an attempt to eliminate unconscious bias? For example, I had 3 classes in college where we never turned in any assignments with our name on it to avoid unconscious bias during grading, especially in politics classes. While it is not the most efficient I've read about experiments that test the unconscious bias of interviewers and most of the time ppl are very biased. But this research has so many loop holes bc some ppl have names that you can develop a bias towards or other demographic questions. One of my schools gave me the option of phone call or zoom and I chose phone call.. and preferred it so so much more. 

42 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Gah, I would give anything to have an audio-only interview... I can articulate myself more clearly if the only thing I have to worry about is what I'm saying!

1 minute ago, dgrkrk said:

Gah, I would give anything to have an audio-only interview... I can articulate myself more clearly if the only thing I have to worry about is what I'm saying!

I feel like I just rely a lot on scanning another person emotionally upon seeing them, and I can usually tell when people agree with my words or not, and that is why I would always prefer video. But audio-only also gives me an opportunity to have some notes in front of me

11 minutes ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

I did some research about interview bias in undergrad and I think this might be an attempt to eliminate unconscious bias? For example, I had 3 classes in college where we never turned in any assignments with our name on it to avoid unconscious bias during grading, especially in politics classes. While it is not the most efficient I've read about experiments that test the unconscious bias of interviewers and most of the time ppl are very biased. But this research has so many loop holes bc some ppl have names that you can develop a bias towards or other demographic questions. One of my schools gave me the option of phone call or zoom and I chose phone call.. and preferred it so so much more. 

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I think I rely a lot on physical cues that I read from zoom calls (like I can tell from other people's faces when they positively or negatively respond to my words) so that makes video preferable to me. But your point about bias does make a lot of sense

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

which department? i just had my zoom interview with them an hour ago 

50 minutes ago, GwenC said:

Been lurking and wanted to post my update for sculpture MFA aps

RCA (1st round) - Accepted

Yale - Rejected

UCLA - waiting?

Emily Carr - waiting

Just got an interview request for MIT SMACT.

Congrats on the interview request for MIT SMACT! I was really hoping to get an interview there but I guess I’m rejected. Keep us posted on how the interview goes!

6 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Damn. Did you like the faculty? (Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you?)

I did like the faculty. And the setup was each faculty member asked me one question. Questions that were asked included: Why I wanted to go to grad school and why UW? How do you view your work in relation to the current political climate? What was a recent exhibition you saw that had an impact on your work? What was your most valuable thing learned during your undergrad experience? How do you imagine seeing your work 5 years from now?

Hope that helps? I'm assuming photo will have different questions.