MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Hi all! 

I am currently applying to interdisciplinary MFA programs for the 2021 cycle. This is where I am at. 

• CMU: Rejected on Feb. 4th
  • UCI: Interviewed on Feb. 1st
  • USC: Nothing as of yet. 

Does anyone have any new on UCI? I went down a gradcafe rabbit hole and saw that acceptance from past years came out around Feb. 15.... EEEEEK!

55 minutes ago, Artist99 said:

Hi all! 

I am currently applying to interdisciplinary MFA programs for the 2021 cycle. This is where I am at. 

• CMU: Rejected on Feb. 4th
  • UCI: Interviewed on Feb. 1st
  • USC: Nothing as of yet. 

Does anyone have any new on UCI? I went down a gradcafe rabbit hole and saw that acceptance from past years came out around Feb. 15.... EEEEEK!

I have interviewed with UCI on jan 28. Haven’t heard decision yet. They said in the following weeks.

25 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

For those of you with interviews at SAIC this weekend, did you happen to get an invite to a virtual hangout the Friday before? The department of printmedia is doing a virtual get together instead of an in person one due to COVID.

Are any other departments doing this?

Painting is doing the same

2 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

For those of you with interviews at SAIC this weekend, did you happen to get an invite to a virtual hangout the Friday before? The department of printmedia is doing a virtual get together instead of an in person one due to COVID.

Interview with SAIC on Saturday and the virtual hangout is that night. Photography department

1 hour ago, dgrkrk said:

Just received a rejection from UofArk through email. I'm gutted ? My first grad school rejection letter ever. It stings. Oof.

I’ve gotten a few so far too. It can be discouraging but the whole admissions process is quite obscure, and it changes every year! I told myself if I dont get in anywhere this year ill just try again next... lots of people dont get their choices on the first try. The fact that we might get into some places and not others shows that there is something unique in us//our work..i would be worried if I pleased every school!

2 hours ago, 3arabiyya said:

I’ve gotten a few so far too. It can be discouraging but the whole admissions process is quite obscure, and it changes every year! I told myself if I dont get in anywhere this year ill just try again next... lots of people dont get their choices on the first try. The fact that we might get into some places and not others shows that there is something unique in us//our work..i would be worried if I pleased every school!

Thank you for this message; I really needed it!!! ❤️ The process is definitely daunting but I'm so proud of myself for trying. Rejections are a part of life and I'm learning everyday how to handle them constructively! 

1 hour ago, crudd said:

?Which program at UArk did you apply to? I applied to sculpture but have not heard anything yet.

I applied to painting! I wish you the best of luck!!!

6 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I did not receive an invite to a virtual hangout last Friday. I don’t think the writing department is having a separate gathering; the only one I know of is the graduate mixer that’s happening on Saturday at 5pm CST.

1 hour ago, ShydreezyWrites said:

I did not receive an invite to a virtual hangout last Friday. I don’t think the writing department is having a separate gathering; the only one I know of is the graduate mixer that’s happening on Saturday at 5pm CST.

Of course you are welcome to hang with us visual artists, but you may find more accurate info on the writing boards. :)

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/80-literary/

7 hours ago, crudd said:

?Which program at UArk did you apply to? I applied to sculpture but have not heard anything yet.

The sculpture faculty at UARK is extremely relaxed so not surprising they're behind the other departments. They were usually last to figure out offers/scholarships/visiting artists/etc.

UARK also got a massive donation about 5 years ago now? so funding there is wild - so SO much money coming in and out. Ever since the donation the application numbers increased dramatically so it's bound to take a little longer as they continue growing into it and introducing new faculty. Incredible program though - really great people and a funky town. Best of luck!!

1 hour ago, jp0101 said:

The sculpture faculty at UARK is extremely relaxed so not surprising they're behind the other departments. They were usually last to figure out offers/scholarships/visiting artists/etc.

UARK also got a massive donation about 5 years ago now? so funding there is wild - so SO much money coming in and out. Ever since the donation the application numbers increased dramatically so it's bound to take a little longer as they continue growing into it and introducing new faculty. Incredible program though - really great people and a funky town. Best of luck!!

Cool - thank you for the info!

I just got a mail from SVA Fine Arts accepting me into their program. I'm so happy but weirded out cus they'd said they'd be sending the letters by 1st April. This is wayyyy too early. I'm still very very thrilled. Although, its very expensive. I had a question- how do you ask for a scholarship? Do most colleges give financial aid in the first acceptance mail only? Or does a student have to request them separately?

I just really hope I get a scholarship there but idk how to approach them or even if that's something they'd consider

5 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

I just got a mail from SVA Fine Arts accepting me into their program. I'm so happy but weirded out cus they'd said they'd be sending the letters by 1st April. This is wayyyy too early. I'm still very very thrilled. Although, its very expensive. I had a question- how do you ask for a scholarship? Do most colleges give financial aid in the first acceptance mail only? Or does a student have to request them separately?

I just really hope I get a scholarship there but idk how to approach them or even if that's something they'd consider

A financial aid officer at SAIC suggested looking at https://www.fastweb.com for outside scholarships. I've subscribed to their emails, but I haven't looked closely. I hope it's a useful resource.

Has anyone brought up COVID in their interviews? I have my first interview tomorrow with UMass, then one with BU and Tyler next week and am curious if it is taboo to question how they are going to navigate the potential upcoming school year. UMass is a three year program so I am leaning toward them solely based on the chance that if things go virtual again, I will still have a full two years of in person classes (hopefully). I'm not sure how to press the other schools without seeming judgmental or closed off.  

30 minutes ago, katfude said:

Has anyone brought up COVID in their interviews? I have my first interview tomorrow with UMass, then one with BU and Tyler next week and am curious if it is taboo to question how they are going to navigate the potential upcoming school year. UMass is a three year program so I am leaning toward them solely based on the chance that if things go virtual again, I will still have a full two years of in person classes (hopefully). I'm not sure how to press the other schools without seeming judgmental or closed off.  

I would not bring up Covid questions here because the interviews go by fast and this is your opportunity to show why you would be a great addition to their program. You can direct those types of questions via a phone call or email to the school's office, or, in follow-up communications after being admitted. It is inevitable that they will have to share that with you before attending anyway. Let your interview be exclusively about your work and your ambitions as an artist. I've only had one interview so far, and 20 minutes went by incredibly fast. If you have an opportunity to ask a question at the end, I would find a way to make it unique to the committee interviewing you. It's a chance to get their perspective / learn if that fits with what you want out of your graduate education.

When is it appropriate to follow up with a professor post-interview? I had an interview with one of my top choice schools over a week ago. They said I should hear back from them within 10 days. I have yet to hear anything.