MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

5 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Well that's what my plan was and although SVA says that the deadline to accept the place is 15th April, they also say that my position is subject to availability and that they can't be sure when the class fills up.

This has gotten me a little nervous, considering that all the other colleges will be sending acceptance letters only after mid-March, which is a month from now and that I can't count on SVA if "the program fills up" I'm left behind

Yikes. That sounds a little shady.

1 hour ago, AidaLizard said:

What are some things you are all doing to stay distracted/healthy, pass the time while waiting on responses?

or if you are in the other side of the coin, what are some neurotic things you are doing because you are so anxious? (other than check your email, status of app. on the school website, and gradcafe) 

I got google analytics to see who looked at my website and where they are located geographically... in hopes I'd see views from the cities the schools are located at. They do look at artists websites sometimes so why not. 

Yale Sculpture- (Deadline Jan 5th) Rejected Feb 6th

Alfred Sculpture - (Deadline Jan 15th) Interview Feb 16th

Texas Austin Sculpture - (Deadline Jan 10th) Interview Jan 24th

VCU Sculpture- (Deadline Feb 1st) Waiting for response

Ha! I JUST looked at my Google Analytics and got new hits in the past 5 days from Virginia and Arkansas so I'm guessing they were visits from my CV in my VCU and UArk apps. On another note... I applied to VCU at the original Jan 15 deadline, and never saw any announcement of an extension to Feb 1. When did you apply?

On 2/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, crudd said:

Hello, joining in on here late! Here's my contribution:

U of Chicago - Interviewed on 2/5

VCU (Sculpture) - Waiting...

UArk (Sculpture) - Waiting...

Haven't seen anyone mention DoVA @ U of Chicago in a minute, but posting to share they sent out emails yesterday. I was *waitlisted* 

1 hour ago, dramallama_07 said:

So I have a question and I'm very desperate- any answers regarding this will be appreciated.

I have received an acceptance letter from SVA Fine Arts however theres been no mention of financial aid from their side. I've been told to secure my place in the program by paying 1000 USD and to do it asap as "There is no way for them to predict when a program will close."

I have tried asking the SVA Admissions about details of financial aid and they said that 'Scholarships are awarded upon acceptance' (But aren't I already accepted?) However they're also insinuating that I must pay the 1000 dollars to secure my position first.

So my question is- Does the college expect me to pay the 1000 USD and then they'd award some sort of scholarship? Because from what I know, don't most colleges give out some sort of financial award letter along with the acceptance letter even before you've 'secured' a place in the program?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm an international student and not eligible for FAFSA in case thats relevant to you guys. I'm just being a little cautious regarding 'securing' my seat at SVA right now. Although I love the college and want to go there, its very very expensive and if I get a better offer with financial assistance at other colleges, I might be open to those. But then again, the final acceptance letters from all the colleges I've applied to are due late March and SVA is already freaking me out by saying things like "There is no way for us to predict when a program will close."

I got an offer from SVA and have been wondering the same. I am going to contact the Financial Aid department and see what they have to offer. I was really surprised that there was no mention of financial aid in the acceptance letter, especially because during my interview I was told I should hear about financial aid soon after the acceptance. Am an international applicant, so I am in a similar situation where FAFSA isn't an option for me. The 1000$ deposit had me worried, but I have another offer now so not too stressed about it. I would definitely write or call the financial aid people. 

Just now, Gahhhhhhh said:

I got an offer from SVA and have been wondering the same. I am going to contact the Financial Aid department and see what they have to offer. I was really surprised that there was no mention of financial aid in the acceptance letter, especially because during my interview I was told I should hear about financial aid soon after the acceptance. Am an international applicant, so I am in a similar situation where FAFSA isn't an option for me. The 1000$ deposit had me worried, but I have another offer now so not too stressed about it. I would definitely write or call the financial aid people. 

Please let me know if you hear something and you can send me a private message too if you don't wanna share it here.

Also, when did you get this offer from SVA? It is afterall a little weird that we're already getting offers especially since they mentioned clearly that they'll be sending them out by 1st April

4 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Please let me know if you hear something and you can send me a private message too if you don't wanna share it here.

Also, when did you get this offer from SVA? It is afterall a little weird that we're already getting offers especially since they mentioned clearly that they'll be sending them out by 1st April

Sure, will do! 

I got my offer on Monday. But I didn't think it was strange because during my interview, last week, I was told that I should hear back in a week.

Edited by Gahhhhhhh

Hi,

Been posting here for a while now, but haven’t done my list yet.  I applied to:

-SMFA: Interviewed last week

-UCLA: Interviewed last week

-Northwestern: Interviewing this week

- Yale: Interviewing next week

If anyone is interviewing with these schools and wants to talk about it, please hit me up via DM.

I also have experience interviewing with CalArts from the other year I applied. I am super hyped about this whole process. I’ve learned a lot and I am enjoying it although the wait is annoying.Also, anyone have experience with social hours with current students? Any advice? I have my first “social hour” on Saturday. Good luck to everybody!!!!!

Edited by Hphphphp

2 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

So I have a question and I'm very desperate- any answers regarding this will be appreciated.

I have received an acceptance letter from SVA Fine Arts however theres been no mention of financial aid from their side. I've been told to secure my place in the program by paying 1000 USD and to do it asap as "There is no way for them to predict when a program will close."

I have tried asking the SVA Admissions about details of financial aid and they said that 'Scholarships are awarded upon acceptance' (But aren't I already accepted?) However they're also insinuating that I must pay the 1000 dollars to secure my position first.

So my question is- Does the college expect me to pay the 1000 USD and then they'd award some sort of scholarship? Because from what I know, don't most colleges give out some sort of financial award letter along with the acceptance letter even before you've 'secured' a place in the program?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm an international student and not eligible for FAFSA in case thats relevant to you guys. I'm just being a little cautious regarding 'securing' my seat at SVA right now. Although I love the college and want to go there, its very very expensive and if I get a better offer with financial assistance at other colleges, I might be open to those. But then again, the final acceptance letters from all the colleges I've applied to are due late March and SVA is already freaking me out by saying things like "There is no way for us to predict when a program will close."

Check this article out:

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution-1?nl=

It’s a resolution amongst universities so that candidates aren’t swindled into picking a university without notice of financial aid. I would reach back to the university, they should be sending you a financial aid information, and if there’s none, they should be able to notify you of that.

I saw someone saying that they had an invitation to interview for Interdisciplinary Studio and New Genres at UCLA - does anyone else here have received an invitation from them? I'm starting to lose hope, haven't heard from them :(

2 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

Hey! We should cooperate as I have the exact same thing but for photography. The EXACT. I have been emailing admissions and the department of photo about the financial aid and heard NOTHING back. All I think so far is - I am not going to pay that 1k yet at all before they tell me what financial aid situation is. They gave us early offers because they really Want Us in their programs and now they are playing coy about financial aid, well this is just ain’t right. At least what I am going to do - I will wait my Fafsa results and results from other colleges and will leverage financial aid results from other colleges against SVA so they will try to give me a better financial aid offer.

don’t forget - they want you as an artist to be in their program. So don’t pay that 1k yet, but wait and find out what your options are and make sure they know that you are stubborn enough

1 hour ago, dramallama_07 said:

We might all be able to write one big letter together collectively so the SVA will become pressed. It is honestly disgusting that they think that they can pressure us into paying 1k just off the bat with no financial aid info. 
(I have also been told by a prof from another MFA program that SVA broke a certain agreement by giving out offers before mid February.). They should understand that we can stand up for ourselves. 

4 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

We might all be able to write one big letter together collectively so the SVA will become pressed. It is honestly disgusting that they think that they can pressure us into paying 1k just off the bat with no financial aid info. 
(I have also been told by a prof from another MFA program that SVA broke a certain agreement by giving out offers before mid February.). They should understand that we can stand up for ourselves. 

I already emailed the Admissions, got a response similar to the acceptance letter. They asked me to contact the photo department, so going to do that now. Already emailed the Financial aid office. 

3 minutes ago, Gahhhhhhh said:

I already emailed the Admissions, got a response similar to the acceptance letter. They asked me to contact the photo department, so going to do that now. Already emailed the Financial aid office. 

I did just that and never got a response from the photo department (I sent them 2 polite emails already actually.) is there an IG i can check your work at as we might attend the same program the next year? Is sva your top choice? My ig is @erakhilkina

14 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I did just that and never got a response from the photo department (I sent them 2 polite emails already actually.) is there an IG i can check your work at as we might attend the same program the next year? Is sva your top choice? My ig is @erakhilkina

? . Thinking out loud, maybe I should also email the faculty who interviewed me? 

SVA is great school but it wasn't THE top choice (but its up there among the others), because I knew the financial hurdle would be a difficult one for me. And I did ask about/for aid during my interview, so its kinda sad that I maybe not have been considered for it. 

Just followed you on IG! 

7 minutes ago, Gahhhhhhh said:

? . Thinking out loud, maybe I should also email the faculty who interviewed me? 

SVA is great school but it wasn't THE top choice (but its up there among the others), because I knew the financial hurdle would be a difficult one for me. And I did ask about/for aid during my interview, so its kinda sad that I maybe not have been considered for it. 

Just followed you on IG! 

Well I don't think they'd have sent out financial aid letters as of now anyway because I'm assuming they've only sent out a few acceptance letters yet.

This is my guess though

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Check this article out:

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution-1?nl=

It’s a resolution amongst universities so that candidates aren’t swindled into picking a university without notice of financial aid. I would reach back to the university, they should be sending you a financial aid information, and if there’s none, they should be able to notify you of that.

Not all schools follow that agreement. This link shows members of CGS. At a cursory glance though, it is not clear if these schools are automatically a part of the April 15th agreement or not. https://cgsnet.org/institutional-members

Edited by SpillToBuilt

12 minutes ago, Gahhhhhhh said:

Just followed you on IG! 

Same! I also asked about Aid. Can I ask who interviewed you? I emailed the prof who interviewed me (Seth Lambert) and did not get a response from him either! 

what is your top choice school?

5 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Same! I also asked about Aid. Can I ask who interviewed you? I emailed the prof who interviewed me (Seth Lambert) and did not get a response from him either! 

what is your top choice school?

Was interviewed by Randy West. 

UConn is my top choice.  

2 hours ago, crudd said:

Ha! I JUST looked at my Google Analytics and got new hits in the past 5 days from Virginia and Arkansas so I'm guessing they were visits from my CV in my VCU and UArk apps. On another note... I applied to VCU at the original Jan 15 deadline, and never saw any announcement of an extension to Feb 1. When did you apply?

I also applied before their January 15th deadline. I didn't really get any email announcements or anything that said it was extended but I assumed so because I THOUGHT it was on Jan 15th and then saw their website again later and saw it said Feb 1st.

2 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi,

If anyone is interviewing with these schools and wants to talk about it, please hit me up via DM.

I also have experience interviewing with CalArts from the other year I applied. I am super hyped about this whole process. I’ve learned a lot and I am enjoying it although the wait is annoying.Also, anyone have experience with social hours with current students? Any advice? I have my first “social hour” on Saturday. Good luck to everybody!!!!!

Hi! Good luck! I’m interviewing for Yale too. First time and I’m so nervous! Do you have an insta or a website?  I’d love to see your work. 

4 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi,

Congrats! I’m also curious about these schools especially Yale. Do you have a website, may I have a look at it? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I got an interview request from goldsmiths! Had no idea there was a strike happening so that’s concerning. 
I also got an interview request for Tulane though I’m not sure if anyone else is applying there. Haven’t heard many people talking about it. 
NYAA scholarship offer was surprisingly good. Feeling more optimistic! Good luck everyone!

that's super interesting, I almost applied to Tulane since I have family in NOLA, and I was super impressed with Ronna S. Harris' work. what attracted you to the program?

stoked you got a good offer from NYAA!!! not surprising since I saw your work!
they gave me a decent offer as well, but I'm ballin on a budget so I gotta be extra patient over here with my FAFSA and all haha