MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I have applied to 8 programs but only heard back from 3 (Yale and SAIC rejections, MICA interview). Should I be freaking out? Cause I am freaking out. This can't be a good sign, right? I applied for photo, haven't heard back from UNM, Arizona, RISD, MICA Mt Royal, Duke EDA MFA.

13 hours ago, papayalalala said:

Hello all,

I noticed some people here reapplied this year and got an interview with the schools that didn't offer them an interview when they applied for the first time. What changes did you make this year?
I am a little bit frustrated because obviously the schools I applied to were not interested in my works because I didn't even get an interview. I would love to hear some feedback from you all here!  

And is there such disadvantage for applicants that reapply? to the best of my understanding, there isn't but I feel like I heard from some schools that you can't reapply more than certain times.

I say reapply to previous schools you’ve already applied to. This year is my second time applying. I applied my first year out of undergrad and decided I need a good few years of making before applying again.

This year, the only school I’m applying to that I did the first time is Tyler. Honestly, what has helped me really solidify and understand exactly what I can get from graduate school, is any portfolio review and meetings I could have before applying. Most of the universities I’m applying to this year I was able to set up a zoom interview to talk with a program head (whether it’s a department head or graduate head). Having those discussions really helped tailor my artist statement and intent to my portfolio. 

I guess what I’m saying is, is to start early and really try and talk with professors in that university. Most of the time, the graduate advisor was happy to cc and introduce me to an actual chair of a program. It’s sort of their job to also be somewhat of a spokesperson for a given program, so a department head will really give you the best advice as to how to approach the university, and will also be a good indicator if the university is right for you.

21 hours ago, Popopopo said:

Congrats! I’m also curious about these schools especially Yale. Do you have a website, may I have a look at it? Thanks!

Thank you! I would like to remain anonymous until final decisions are out. When this whole process is over I will make a thorough post as I feel like I have a lot to share with future applicants, but I will have more of a feel for whether my strategies have been successful in March. 

Thanks to everybody who’s been sharing! And good luck to everybody! We got this! :)

I saw a big thread about this pertaining to non BFA students applying to an MFA program, but I'm curious if anyone else has applied to programs with a body of work that is concentrated in a different medium.. and what your interview was like? I went to pafa where the masters program was completely interdisciplinary-- so I didn't think too much about defining myself until now. 

I graduated from school as a sculpture major, but shifted into object based printmaking/very diet sculpture/video as a way to continue a rigorous practice post-grad with the limited space/facilities available, working full-time blah blah. I had an interdisciplinary interview last week, but I have two sculpture specific ones coming up.. and am not sure how defensive I will have to be in explaining why my body of work has a lot of 2D, but I am really deliberate about my desire to return to installation. There is such a fluidity between painting/sculpture/printmaking in contemporary art right now, but it still seems like schools are very strict about distinctions. 

Has anyone had an interview in a discipline that differs from your body of work even though you have a BFA in it? I may be shouting into the void, but you never know.

Edited by katfude

27 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Congratulations!!! Did you receive an aid package with your offer? I've always wondered about how good the funding is at CalArts.

I’m not sure yet... the letter didn’t mention anything about it, but maybe there will be more info coming soon??

So happy to find this forum! I've been having a not so fun time with all this stuff. Here's how it's going so far.

George Washington U (Fine Arts) - Waiting

U of Kansas (Expanded Media) - Waiting

U of W Milwaukee (Cinematic Arts) - Waiting

RISD (Digital + Media) - Waiting

U of M Ann Arbor (Art) - Waiting

U of W Madison (4-D Video & Performance) - Interviewed but rejected

MCAD (Visual Studies) - Waiting

VCU (Kinetic Imaging) - Waiting

Really hoping for decisions soon. It's hard to be stuck in the middle of a big project with this stuff weighing on your mind, every notification on your phone feeling like it could be that one good email.

But best of luck to you all!

2 hours ago, katfude said:

I saw a big thread about this pertaining to non BFA students applying to an MFA program, but I'm curious if anyone else has applied to programs with a body of work that is concentrated in a different medium.. and what your interview was like? I went to pafa where the masters program was completely interdisciplinary-- so I didn't think too much about defining myself until now. 

I graduated from school as a sculpture major, but shifted into object based printmaking/very diet sculpture/video as a way to continue a rigorous practice post-grad with the limited space/facilities available, working full-time blah blah. I had an interdisciplinary interview last week, but I have two sculpture specific ones coming up.. and am not sure how defensive I will have to be in explaining why my body of work has a lot of 2D, but I am really deliberate about my desire to return to installation. There is such a fluidity between painting/sculpture/printmaking in contemporary art right now, but it still seems like schools are very strict about distinctions. 

Has anyone had an interview in a discipline that differs from your body of work even though you have a BFA in it? I may be shouting into the void, but you never know.

I think most schools are interdisciplinary in their practice now days anyway (especially as an MFA student). I wouldn’t worry about it too much, as long as you believe the work you are making is in conversation with sculpture. And I’m sure faculty are understanding of having limited space and access to sculptural work.

One of the graduate advisors at SAIC looked at my work and told me that I should also consider applying for the fibers and materials studies programs due to the way I work with printmaking. If your work is primarily sculptural but has aspects of printmaking, I think it’s okay to go either way.

If I were in your shoes and a faculty member or interview went sour because you weren’t working “enough with sculpture,” I’d take that as a sign that maybe the school isn’t the right program for you.

1 hour ago, theundoing said:

everything I have heard is... really not good. but hopefully the administration will get it together. 

Oh boy, I'm not sure how to react to this information! Bard has seemed perfect to me for a long time, but if there's this much upheaval, I'm not sure what to think. All that said, even though I'm pretty old, I could see myself applying again next year. Could be a good thing actually!

Edited by 123123435

8 hours ago, writing2021 said:

Does anyone know what kinds of questions schools ask in an MFA Creative Writing interview? I have an interview at SAIC this weekend but it would be helpful to know sample questions from any MFA program!

I developed a few questions myself based on a google search. However, I can’t find anything directly correlated to SAIC’s interview. What time is your interview? Also, are you going to the luncheon thing at 12 on Saturday? 

Hey everyone!

Jumping in here, I've been reading these posts for awhile but hadn't made an account,

This year I applied to: 

Yale, Tulane, UCONN, UCLA, Tyler and DoVA all for painting

So far I've gotten rejection updates from Yale, DoVA, (I'm assuming Tyler, I never heard back), and haven't heard from the rest 

Has anyone heard from UCONN? 

Also a huge congratulations to everyone interviewing right now!

5 hours ago, jack343234 said:

NYU: Still Waiting

Pratt: Still Waiting

Hunter: Still Waiting

RCA: Still Waiting

I've applied to fine art painting to all these schools.  Has anyone else heard anything from these programs?

RCA sent me a mail saying they'll let us know on 24th March