MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

13 minutes ago, graciej said:

fully can’t process this rn because I thought I would never hear back from them, but I just got an interview request from UC Berkeley!! ?

Who contacted you? I had my interview with the HOD on feb 5th. 

2 minutes ago, graciej said:

Stephanie Syjuco

That’s awesome! But also strange? Greg is who contacted me and who I interviewed with. It seems weird that different faculty members would reach out at different times.

Just now, XSX said:

That’s awesome! But also strange? Greg is who contacted me and who I interviewed with. It seems weird that different faculty members would reach out at different times.

It is strange! In all honesty I’m not sure it is the right place for me in the long run, but it’s been my dream school for a while and I applied on a whim, so I’m taking it as a win to even get an interview! And also taking it as a win to get to talk to Stephanie because I really love her work

this whole process is so confusing lol

11 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

I just got a mail from SVA Fine Arts accepting me into their program. I'm so happy but weirded out cus they'd said they'd be sending the letters by 1st April. This is wayyyy too early. I'm still very very thrilled. Although, its very expensive. I had a question- how do you ask for a scholarship? Do most colleges give financial aid in the first acceptance mail only? Or does a student have to request them separately?

I just really hope I get a scholarship there but idk how to approach them or even if that's something they'd consider

I think that your portfolio was of exceptional quality so they couldn't decline it :) Positive thinking here :)

39 minutes ago, MFAHOPEFULL said:

Has anyone else heard from Columbia MFA painting?  I know one person mentioned that they had been invited to an interview this past weekend, so I wanted to know if I can still hold out hope or officially accept my rejection.  Much love and good luck to everyone!

SAME who else heard from columbia. only one person here got interview

I believe Goldsmiths teachers are on a partial strike at the moment: I wonder how this will affect the admission timetables.

The faculty of Fine Art were also absent from their open house zoom a few months back.

Anyone have any background on what’s going on behind the scenes there?

4 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

I believe Goldsmiths teachers are on a partial strike at the moment: I wonder how this will affect the admission timetables.

The faculty of Fine Art were also absent from their open house zoom a few months back.

Anyone have any background on what’s going on behind the scenes there?

Idk but I just got a rejection from them lol. Not that I'm taking it badly because I wasn't planning to go anyway after what's been happening recently at Goldsmiths

I got an interview request from goldsmiths! Had no idea there was a strike happening so that’s concerning. 
I also got an interview request for Tulane though I’m not sure if anyone else is applying there. Haven’t heard many people talking about it. 
NYAA scholarship offer was surprisingly good. Feeling more optimistic! Good luck everyone!

What are some things you are all doing to stay distracted/healthy, pass the time while waiting on responses?

or if you are in the other side of the coin, what are some neurotic things you are doing because you are so anxious? (other than check your email, status of app. on the school website, and gradcafe) 

I got google analytics to see who looked at my website and where they are located geographically... in hopes I'd see views from the cities the schools are located at. They do look at artists websites sometimes so why not. 

Yale Sculpture- (Deadline Jan 5th) Rejected Feb 6th

Alfred Sculpture - (Deadline Jan 15th) Interview Feb 16th

Texas Austin Sculpture - (Deadline Jan 10th) Interview Jan 24th

VCU Sculpture- (Deadline Feb 1st) Waiting for response

So I have a question and I'm very desperate- any answers regarding this will be appreciated.

I have received an acceptance letter from SVA Fine Arts however theres been no mention of financial aid from their side. I've been told to secure my place in the program by paying 1000 USD and to do it asap as "There is no way for them to predict when a program will close."

I have tried asking the SVA Admissions about details of financial aid and they said that 'Scholarships are awarded upon acceptance' (But aren't I already accepted?) However they're also insinuating that I must pay the 1000 dollars to secure my position first.

So my question is- Does the college expect me to pay the 1000 USD and then they'd award some sort of scholarship? Because from what I know, don't most colleges give out some sort of financial award letter along with the acceptance letter even before you've 'secured' a place in the program?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm an international student and not eligible for FAFSA in case thats relevant to you guys. I'm just being a little cautious regarding 'securing' my seat at SVA right now. Although I love the college and want to go there, its very very expensive and if I get a better offer with financial assistance at other colleges, I might be open to those. But then again, the final acceptance letters from all the colleges I've applied to are due late March and SVA is already freaking me out by saying things like "There is no way for us to predict when a program will close."

7 minutes ago, AidaLizard said:

What are some things you are all doing to stay distracted/healthy, pass the time while waiting on responses?

or if you are in the other side of the coin, what are some neurotic things you are doing because you are so anxious? (other than check your email, status of app. on the school website, and gradcafe) 

I got google analytics to see who looked at my website and where they are located geographically... in hopes I'd see views from the cities the schools are located at. They do look at artists websites sometimes so why not. 

continuing to push the paint around while also obsessively check this forum and email every time i need to step back from what i'm doing. 

33 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

So I have a question and I'm very desperate- any answers regarding this will be appreciated.

I have received an acceptance letter from SVA Fine Arts however theres been no mention of financial aid from their side. I've been told to secure my place in the program by paying 1000 USD and to do it asap as "There is no way for them to predict when a program will close."

I have tried asking the SVA Admissions about details of financial aid and they said that 'Scholarships are awarded upon acceptance' (But aren't I already accepted?) However they're also insinuating that I must pay the 1000 dollars to secure my position first.

So my question is- Does the college expect me to pay the 1000 USD and then they'd award some sort of scholarship? Because from what I know, don't most colleges give out some sort of financial award letter along with the acceptance letter even before you've 'secured' a place in the program?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm an international student and not eligible for FAFSA in case thats relevant to you guys. I'm just being a little cautious regarding 'securing' my seat at SVA right now. Although I love the college and want to go there, its very very expensive and if I get a better offer with financial assistance at other colleges, I might be open to those. But then again, the final acceptance letters from all the colleges I've applied to are due late March and SVA is already freaking me out by saying things like "There is no way for us to predict when a program will close."

Have you tried calling? Or have you only asked over email? You could say you are waiting for your financial aid award/scholarship offer before committing and making the deposit. They should be understanding about that, otherwise it would seem very sketchy 

Edited by Hphphphp

38 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

You are under no obligation to accept any offer until the deadline which should be mentioned in your letter of acceptance. If it's not, then contact admissions. I personally would not accept the offer until you hear from all other programs you applied to. Definitely don't pay any money prior to determining whether or not you'll be attending. Legally, offers can't just be rescinded for no reason, especially if it's prior to the deadline.

Typically you evaluate the financial aid packages from all programs you are accepted to and then make a decision...

51 minutes ago, AidaLizard said:

Painting and obsessively checking status too. Also looking at website analytics, although this can also be a source of anxiety and disappointment. I noticed 24 hits in one day all from different devices but ip address was one of the universities I applied to so I know they were checking me out. Haven't heard a peep and it's rough.

2 minutes ago, Paintyface said:

You are under no obligation to accept any offer until the deadline which should be mentioned in your letter of acceptance. If it's not, then contact admissions. I personally would not accept the offer until you hear from all other programs you applied to. Definitely don't pay any money prior to determining whether or not you'll be attending. Legally, offers can't just be rescinded for no reason, especially if it's prior to the deadline.

Typically you evaluate the financial aid packages from all programs you are accepted to and then make a decision...

Well that's what my plan was and although SVA says that the deadline to accept the place is 15th April, they also say that my position is subject to availability and that they can't be sure when the class fills up.

This has gotten me a little nervous, considering that all the other colleges will be sending acceptance letters only after mid-March, which is a month from now and that I can't count on SVA if "the program fills up" I'm left behind