MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

HOW DID IT GO?!?! ❤️ i hope you knocked it out the park

I felt it went great! Maybe it's the rush but I felt very good about the whole thing.

Mostly it was questions about my practice and the works I presented in the 5 minute intro + the usual stuff about what did I expect from the faculty and school, and what did I think I'll be pursuing in gradschool. They were super nice, I hope that's a good sign.

Best of luck to everyone!! 

Edited by jdsh
typo

On 2/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, slickjaketheruler said:

I say reapply to previous schools you’ve already applied to. This year is my second time applying. I applied my first year out of undergrad and decided I need a good few years of making before applying again.

This year, the only school I’m applying to that I did the first time is Tyler. Honestly, what has helped me really solidify and understand exactly what I can get from graduate school, is any portfolio review and meetings I could have before applying. Most of the universities I’m applying to this year I was able to set up a zoom interview to talk with a program head (whether it’s a department head or graduate head). Having those discussions really helped tailor my artist statement and intent to my portfolio. 

I guess what I’m saying is, is to start early and really try and talk with professors in that university. Most of the time, the graduate advisor was happy to cc and introduce me to an actual chair of a program. It’s sort of their job to also be somewhat of a spokesperson for a given program, so a department head will really give you the best advice as to how to approach the university, and will also be a good indicator if the university is right for you.

Thank you for this. It looks like I'm heading into try-again-next-year territory, so I plan to heed your advice. I have to admit, though, I find the idea of approaching professors out of the blue intimidating. Do you have any tips on what to say in that first e-mail (I assume that's how you made your initial approach)? Also, I'm a bit confused about who to contact first. Are you advising we start with someone in the graduate school generally, rather than someone from whatever they call the school of art? Thanks again, and best of luck to you!

43 minutes ago, linlinlin said:

hi I only applied to UPenn and Columbia University both for photo. Got interviewed with UPenn and it went well I guess? I am still waiting on to hear from Columbia and I am wondering if anyone applied for photo this year has heard back from Columbia?And also if any one who had interviewed with Columbia could share their experiences and tips? Much appreciated in advance!

I also applied to Columbia for photo and have yet to hear back!

3 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Received an interview request from Columbia sculpture. Check your emails maybe there will be good news

Congratulations! And thank you for passing on the info!

34 minutes ago, JellyRoll said:

Thank you for this. It looks like I'm heading into try-again-next-year territory, so I plan to heed your advice. I have to admit, though, I find the idea of approaching professors out of the blue intimidating. Do you have any tips on what to say in that first e-mail (I assume that's how you made your initial approach)? Also, I'm a bit confused about who to contact first. Are you advising we start with someone in the graduate school generally, rather than someone from whatever they call the school of art? Thanks again, and best of luck to you!

Start with an admissions counselor. It's their job to help you get the information you need to make a clear decision with school. They'll most likely put you in contact with someone that can help you out or talk to. I just politely asked if I could speak with someone from the department.

I don't think its weird asking out of the blue. You have to remember that these are people that work for a university. They aren't there for us to walk on eggshells around them. The way I see it, if they don't want to take time to talk for 20-30 minutes with an MFA student, then it's clear where their priorities land. 

I can give some pointers. I am applying for printmaking programs. And it's really important for me to be working with faculty that really have a grasp and understanding of how printmaking operates within the surrounding area of the university at large. I made it very clear with the admissions counselor that I wanted to have a discussion on what printmaking opportunities exist outside the university, and how the university supports student growth into other areas like nonprofit and experimental art spaces. Some universities put me in contact with a print shop manager, an adjust, or the department head who could best answer those questions. 

What I would personally would NOT do is ask to schedule a portfolio review. Just include your website in your signature and tailor your initial email specifically to something about the university or program at large. Rarely do I feel that a faculty member is going to say "wow your work looks great!" Instead let them browse your site on their own time. A lot of times, the professors I spoke with mentioned ways in which my work could blossom in their program, and in ways I didn't expect (such as moving towards more performance, textile, sculpturally). Use that time that you might have with a professor to talk about how the university program supports what you do. 

Long statement short, start with the counselor. They'll guide you to who you need to speak to. And from there, make it very clear about what you need to know about the university. It can even be, "I'm looking for a program that allows me explore ____ and ____. How could you see this university supporting it or helping me achieve that?" 

New here and feeling generally overwhelmed - wondering what everyone’s status is that applied to IU Bloomington? It’s my top choice, I’ve interviewed with them and have read in this thread that a couple others have too. Just seeing if I can gain any other insight! Thanks in advance, glad to finally be here :)

Edited by Ab2020

4 minutes ago, Ab2020 said:

New here and feeling generally overwhelmed - wondering what everyone’s status is that applied to IU Bloomington? It’s my top choice, I’ve interviewed with them and have read in this thread that a couple others have too. Just seeing if I can gain any other insight! Thanks in advance, glad to finally be here :)

Hey, I interviewed with them and haven't heard anything yet either. I'll let you know if I do! 

21 hours ago, refereemandem said:

Mica hoffberger? If so it is one on one with the director. 

Be prepared for a very in depth questioning about your work. And prepared to talk about pieces in the portfolio you applied with specifically if asked about them. 

Other questions include:

What's your process?

What do you hope to get from the program?

What can you offer to the program?

What do you do outside of art making? Hobbies?

What media (books, movies, etc. )has influenced you of late?

Why this program? 

Questions for us?

There were a few more q, but i cant remember them right now  

The interview impressed me, way more questions were asked than my other interview and maybe because it's one on one it was very conversational. Very lucid and candid observations of the work from the director. Mainly be ready for many specific questions about your work and it's themes. That was the main dish of interview, the other questions were side dish. interview went on 10 minute overtime- 40 minute total . So do not feel any time pressure- bring the honest answer to the table and director will bring their honest perspective/ q's

Good luck! 

This is great!! Thank you so much for taking time to write this thoughtful reply. Although I am a bit anxious that Waltemath is going to interview me, I can at least be more ready for these questions. I hope we both get in and meet this fall. 

19 hours ago, 19902212 said:

Hi! Wondering if anyone has heard from: 

-CalArts (Art/Painting)

-UCLA (Art/Painting)

-Bard 

Thank you!!

I received an interview request a few days ago for CalArts art program...nothing on the others yet!

For everyone that has an interview today with SAIC, I am wishing you tremendous luck and blessings. We made it this far, let keep up the momentum. I hope to meet some of you tonight at the mixer at 5pm CST. 

Again, good luck, everyone. Just be yourself and I am sure it will work out for all of us. 

7 minutes ago, Gorg said:

wow, just had my interview with SAIC and it felt like I was having to aggressively defend my work the entire time. It was a weird/unexpected vibe. Did anyone else have this experience?

Really?? i just had mine

and it was sooo friendly and nice

Just now, Ememem said:

Mine is in a little bit, any pointers/advice ? :)

They asked me why graduate? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

and then asked me to talk about one of my works for 1 minute.

Then ask if I had any questions which I had 2. 
thats it