MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, NoraEllie said:

Received notice about another interview from Parson. Did anyone else on here? Is that good or bad bc I thought it was just one round? 

Also, is it just me or are the rates for these schools ridiculously expensive. Especially for schools being in NYC. Yale was another story since they have a great financial aid package/funding program. But like it’s scary to accept an offer with Columbia, Parsons, NYAA, etc. to only come out with as much debt as a healthcare professional would. I don’t want my Dad having to pay for my entire tuition when I’m 25 and working due to not making ends meet when I graduate. Jesus, LOL. Has this ever led any of you to reject an offer? 

Yeahh, unfortunately I think a lot of people intentionally avoided applying to the poorly funded high caliber programs because they’re so expensive. Even with just application fees it didn’t seem worth it to spend all of the money to apply to programs that wouldn’t be financially feasible upon acceptance. 

Edited by katfude

2 hours ago, rororiroor said:

Anybody hear back from Columbia photo? A friend of mine got an interview last week for Columbia painting and some people on here for sculpture, but i’ve heard nothing from any photo applicants. Any word?

Probably just living in denial, but does anyone know if Columbia sends interview requests on set days like Yale or is it done progressively?

3 minutes ago, imcyborgbuthatsok said:

Has anyone heard back from RISD Graphic Design after their interview? Been doomscrolling and seeing a lot of offers a few days after their interviews with other departments. ?

I am also still waiting to hear from RISD ceramics (after interview), I guess it can either be different programs respond at different times or the other possible outcome. I guess we wait and see. 

10 minutes ago, Ememem said:

I am also still waiting to hear from RISD ceramics (after interview), I guess it can either be different programs respond at different times or the other possible outcome. I guess we wait and see. 

Thank you! Good luck and hoping it's the former for us, for all of us here!

4 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

Received notice about another interview from Parson. Did anyone else on here? Is that good or bad bc I thought it was just one round? 

Also, is it just me or are the rates for these schools ridiculously expensive. Especially for schools being in NYC. Yale was another story since they have a great financial aid package/funding program. But like it’s scary to accept an offer with Columbia, Parsons, NYAA, etc. to only come out with as much debt as a healthcare professional would. I don’t want my Dad having to pay for my entire tuition when I’m 25 and working due to not making ends meet when I graduate. Jesus, LOL. Has this ever led any of you to reject an offer? 

What did the mail for the second interview say? Did they state a reason for the interview?

3 hours ago, imcyborgbuthatsok said:

Has anyone heard back from RISD Graphic Design after their interview? Been doomscrolling and seeing a lot of offers a few days after their interviews with other departments. ?

Hello, did you get an interview from RISD GD? If you did, when?

On 2/21/2021 at 6:01 PM, katkat said:

I feel like this was mentioned before, but are people sending thank you emails after interviews? I don't want to seem over eager or something. Thanks!

I don't know if it helps but after I sent a thank you email to University of Washington, one of the professors called me with an acceptance.  I think I wouldn't have heard back so soon if I hadn't kept in touch.

13 hours ago, rororiroor said:

Anybody hear back from Columbia photo? A friend of mine got an interview last week for Columbia painting and some people on here for sculpture, but i’ve heard nothing from any photo applicants. Any word?

I didn't apply to Columbia but my friend is a current Columbia photo student and says that they have zero permanent photo faculty rn...so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer than other departments. 

12 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

I got my undergrad at Columbia (I finished recently). Some of  the MFA students seem pretty unhappy . There have been two lawsuits against the MFA ( from the students) in like the last 5 years. So yeah...unless they give someone really good aid or you come from money ... it seems way too high. 

https://hyperallergic.com/440469/columbia-university-mfa-students-demand-tuition-refunds/

The studios are the same (they did put nets on all the ceilings). Many of the faculty are still absentee. Some of the faculty only function through a lottery system so you might not even get a visit with them. Idk I've heard a few MFA students describe Columbia as "pay to play." Which is possible for some people but not something I can afford to do.

Edited by theundoing

14 hours ago, rororiroor said:

I was wondering about this too! I haven't heard anything from them

2 hours ago, theundoing said:

I got my undergrad at Columbia (I finished recently). Some of  the MFA students seem pretty unhappy . There have been two lawsuits against the MFA ( from the students) in like the last 5 years. So yeah...unless they give someone really good aid or you come from money ... it seems way too high. 

https://hyperallergic.com/440469/columbia-university-mfa-students-demand-tuition-refunds/

The studios are the same (they did put nets on all the ceilings). Many of the faculty are still absentee. Some of the faculty only function through a lottery system so you might not even get a visit with them. Idk I've heard a few MFA students describe Columbia as "pay to play." Which is possible for some people but not something I can afford to do.

I just can’t bring myself to attend Columbia bc I’ve heard terrible things about the MFA department as well. 

I have surprisingly heard really good things about NYAA when it comes to their funding/financial aid. Does anyone know more insight on this? 

1 hour ago, Gorg said:

I was wondering about this too! I haven't heard anything from them

For what it's worth--and it's probably worth very little!--I looked it up, and last year I got my interview request for New Genres five weeks to the day from the application deadline. Their deadline was later this year, so if they're following the same timetable, that would mean people might hear this week. It is kind of embarrassingly late though, isn't it?

Does anyone have any insight to what the USC Roski MFA program is like now? Have they recovered at all? I'm trying to find out by searching online but all of the articles are from 2015/2016. Does anyone know anything or know somebody who is there now?

Screams into the void

Just wrapped up my interview with Emily Carr for the Low-Residency MFA. I think it went well! Here's what they asked me (paraphrased because I have a terrible memory):

1) Describe your work (in a more casual way in addition to what you already wrote in your statement).

2) How would you go about critiquing another student if they presented or said something offensive?

3) Why do you want to go to grad school? Why this program?

4) Did I apply to any other programs? 

Additional info I learned:

- They are shooting for admitting 12 students for this year.

- Program will start in September instead of June to account for COVID, etc.

43 minutes ago, Gorg said:

Does anyone have any insight to what the USC Roski MFA program is like now? Have they recovered at all? I'm trying to find out by searching online but all of the articles are from 2015/2016. Does anyone know anything or know somebody who is there now?

What are you looking to know? I know that after the MFA walkout, they restructured their program and hired different faculty. From what I hear they are a very queer, concept oriented program! I applied in January, and I am currently awaiting a decision!

6 hours ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I don't know if it helps but after I sent a thank you email to University of Washington, one of the professors called me with an acceptance.  I think I wouldn't have heard back so soon if I hadn't kept in touch.

that is amazing! what department?

Edited by lizavetar96