MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I got an acceptance from Alfred Sculpture but they want a response by Monday and I am still waiting for responses from UT Austin and VCU Sculpture. I interviewed for both and the interviews went well but I won't hear back from VCU until 1-2 weeks form now and who knows what is going on in Austin since they were dealing with the storm and chaos... Anyone have any advice? Is it okay to ask Alfred for more time to decide? 

1 minute ago, aniben3 said:

Yes, I did interview, it was for fiber! They said they’re accepting 11 students total for the MFA program this year with 1-2 per department depending on funding availability. 

Congratulations on the interview! That sounds about right. I haven’t had an interview so I think it’s about time I focus on the other schools. 
I wish you the best! 

4 hours ago, hsag said:

An update for anyone interested in Columbia. They just emailed me an interview invitation for New Genres.

Same here. I don't think I'll get into UCLA. And for anyone looking into PNCA and PSU, I was accepted into PSU and had an interview for PNCA last Friday. I live in Portland and they're my backups. I only applied to these four schools. Buena suerte, hsag. I love your work. I don't have any doubt you'll be accepted into UCLA.

5 minutes ago, CHEABie said:

Same here. I don't think I'll get into UCLA. And for anyone looking into PNCA and PSU, I was accepted into PSU and had an interview for PNCA last Friday. I live in Portland and they're my backups. I only applied to these four schools. Buena suerte, hsag. I love your work. I don't have any doubt you'll be accepted into UCLA.

This extremely nice of you to say, muchas gracias CHEABie. But what makes you think you will not get into UCLA if they don't interview everybody? (I know that having an interview is always a good sign, but I feel like I'm pushing for the optimistic side of things...) Did you also apply for Interdisciplinary/New Genres? I haven't been interviewed by them, so I'm praying for us to be finalists without interview...

Best of luck for the Columbia interview!

51 minutes ago, Purplepinkey said:

Thanks for those who have been updating! Just sharing my side of things if it helps: 

UCI: no interview, rejected 

UIUC: interviewed, accepted with funding

DOVA: interviewed, accepted with funding

UCLA: no interview, probably rejection 

UCSD: interviewed, waiting 

ATP: interviewed, waiting

ISU: no interview, accepted with chance to apply for funding April 1

SAIC low res: no interview, accepted no funding

Congrats on those you were accepted to! I'm waitlisted @ DoVA ~ will be attending the upcoming events. Which are your top preferences?

2 hours ago, hsag said:

I applied for photo and already received an acceptance, by phone, but if I don't get more scholarship I wouldn't be able to attend... the news was equal parts exciting and kind of frustrating... I think they'll be giving news soon.

I’m afraid I might get that frustrating call as well. Still waiting on printmaking 

32 minutes ago, nobodyok said:

Congrats on those you were accepted to! I'm waitlisted @ DoVA ~ will be attending the upcoming events. Which are your top preferences?

Thanks! Yes! Will be too :)

I'm having a hard time, they all have profs I want to study with. But I hope to have more clarity with gathering more information about each program this upcoming month. And getting final offers/rejections.... 

1 hour ago, hsag said:

This extremely nice of you to say, muchas gracias CHEABie. But what makes you think you will not get into UCLA if they don't interview everybody? (I know that having an interview is always a good sign, but I feel like I'm pushing for the optimistic side of things...) Did you also apply for Interdisciplinary/New Genres? I haven't been interviewed by them, so I'm praying for us to be finalists without interview...

Best of luck for the Columbia interview!

Yes, New Genres/Interdisciplinary. Just a little dose of pessimism on my part. Other folks mentioned their references were contacted and mine were not. We'll see! 

6 hours ago, Ememem said:

Hi, 

Asking for a friend, on saic 's website, it says mfa in fiber and materials studies deadline is on the 1st of April, is that right or am I confusing it with something else?

Thanks ??

I am just confused as what I've applied to has a deadline of Jan 10

Has anyone heard back from UCLA DMA, VCU Kinetic, or Hunter? Currently waiting on those three and unable to find updates/timelines.

The rest of my list- Cranbrook (upcoming interview), CalArts (upcoming interview), Yale (rejected), SAIC (rejected)

21 hours ago, joeyjoejoeshabbadoo said:

This is a hot take, care to expand on this? I'd be especially interested to see data supporting your claim that folks who get an MFA never continue their art practice. it doesn't sound totally unlikely, but it does sound sad.

https://vasari21.com/the-value-of-an-mfa/

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qkwwa7/the-price-to-pay-artists-weigh-in-on-getting-an-mfa

https://brooklynrail.org/2017/10/art/The-Cult-of-Creative-Failure

https://brooklynrail.org/2017/10/art/The-Cult-of-Creative-Failure

6 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I know some programs like you to have some life experience out of college to make. I applied my first year out of school, and got waitlisted to a few places. I was upset at the time, but looking back I’m so thankful I didn’t. My work has changed so completely in a 3 year span that I really know what I want from an MFA program.

I admit that my life story is going to be the craziest one possible :D... :)

21 hours ago, joeyjoejoeshabbadoo said:

This is a hot take, care to expand on this? I'd be especially interested to see data supporting your claim that folks who get an MFA never continue their art practice. it doesn't sound totally unlikely, but it does sound sad.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/art-school-confidential/

57 minutes ago, cjfa said:

Has anyone heard back from UCLA DMA, VCU Kinetic, or Hunter? Currently waiting on those three and unable to find updates/timelines.

The rest of my list- Cranbrook (upcoming interview), CalArts (upcoming interview), Yale (rejected), SAIC (rejected)

I'm waiting for VCU Kinetic as well. Haven't heard anything from them.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you applied for MFA? Did you applied to the same school more than once? I know we should never make our works simply for getting in, we create for ourselves, but of course the recognition from others will be such a delight, so I wish you all the best and the acceptance from your dream schools!

19 minutes ago, Popopopo said:

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you applied for MFA? Did you applied to the same school more than once? I know we should never make our works simply for getting in, we create for ourselves, but of course the recognition from others will be such a delight, so I wish you all the best and the acceptance from your dream schools!

One of my friends applied twice to Yale sculpture and she got in on her second try :)

1 hour ago, cjfa said:

I heard back from Hunter last week. I have an interview coming up this Saturday! 

2 hours ago, Paintyface said:

Has anyone had to reschedule an interview due to a scheduling conflict or emergency? I have to reschedule (family medical emergency) but I’m really worried it’ll look unprofessional and they’ll reject me. Thoughts?

I have. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you don't reschedule more than once.