MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Hi! I got invited for an interview for the Art + Tech MFA. I'm so damn nervous.  Does anyone have any tips or/and clues how I can prepare myself for it? I would be also interesting to know how interviews at American Universities work in general (I'm European) 
Thank you so much xx

On 2/20/2021 at 10:08 PM, Reida said:

Just had a really great interview with art/tech at SAIC. Very relaxed and conversational!

happy to hear! I just read you got accepted to the CalArts Art+Tech MFA without interview ! Thats amazing !! :) They invited me to an interview (next week) Maybe you could share some details / questions that were asked during your SAIC interview. Im so nervous for the CalArts interview and it would be great to hear about your expierience :)

On 2/17/2021 at 8:42 PM, Hphphphp said:

Hi,

Been posting here for a while now, but haven’t done my list yet.  I applied to:

-SMFA: Interviewed last week

-UCLA: Interviewed last week

-Northwestern: Interviewing this week

- Yale: Interviewing next week

If anyone is interviewing with these schools and wants to talk about it, please hit me up via DM.

I also have experience interviewing with CalArts from the other year I applied. I am super hyped about this whole process. I’ve learned a lot and I am enjoying it although the wait is annoying.Also, anyone have experience with social hours with current students? Any advice? I have my first “social hour” on Saturday. Good luck to everybody!!!!!

Hii, could you share some of your interview expierence with CalArts. I got an invitation for an interview from them last week and im soooo nervous. Have no idea what to expect ...

Has anyone interviewed with Tyler Sculpture yet? Mine is tomorrow at 1:30 and I'm really not sure what to expect. I emailed the program director with a brief question a few weeks ago, but he never got back to me.. so now I am already feeling off to an awkward start. ?

On 2/11/2021 at 2:28 AM, Reida said:

Like our work in relation to art history? Or our conceptual development through our own work?

yes please could you elaborate. I am also pretty confused by this question? What does it mean? 

On 1/25/2021 at 2:20 AM, BrownBunny87 said:

Found this in last years forum, if it helps.

Common Questions Visual Arts Applicants are Asked During an Interview

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists do you like? (you can have a list prepared)

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist, year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What can you offer this program? Any special skills?

What do you think is a good way of critiquing? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besides art/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s environment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any questions for us?

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

So you've written a good amount about your practice in your statement...can you expand a little more?

What was the last show you saw that had a profound effect on you?

Ideas for Questions to Ask During Your Interview

What's the degree of permeability between the department's different studio areas?

What do the teaching assistantship duties generally consist of?

Will I be assisting a professor, or will I be teaching my own class?

Have recent alumni stayed in the area or ventured elsewhere? 

What is the grad student to faculty ratio? 

Ask for more information about particular courses in the curriculum.

Other Tips

Be able to speak about the professors work and why you are influenced by it. 

Write a follow up Thank you email within 48 hours after your interview.

this is fire !!! ty so much !

On 11/9/2020 at 4:57 PM, Eric from America said:

Hey everyone! I am at VCUarts right now. This forum was helpful to me when I was applying, so I am checking in to see how everyone's freak out is going! If anyone has any questions about VCU, I'd be happy to try to answer. I am in the Kinetic Imaging (time based and new media) program, and I also know VCU's other programs well, since we are all often together. 

It looks like the biggest issue this year is that some schools and programs are not accepting applicants this year. VCU definitely is. The VCU open house is this Saturday https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/graduate/virtual-open-house/

I also have experience all the way through the interview and decision process at several other schools (SAIC, Cranbrook, CalArts, University of Michigan, SVA, NYU, RISD, Columbia), particularly with new media, new genres, sound art, video art, art and technology, etc etc. so I might be able to answer questions about those as well.

Best of luck everyone!

Hiii :D  YEEEES IM FREAKING OUT !!!! I got an interview for the CalArts Art + Tech MFA and I'm so damn nervous. Could you share some of your experience/ some of the questions they asked you. That would be incredibly helpful :)

Ok, so I just had my interview with MICA. 
It was a one on one interview with the director. And it went really well... at first. 
She asked:

How long have you been painting? 
What are your artistic strengths? 
What are your artistic weaknesses? 
Why MICA? 
What artists are you influenced by? 
What specifically do you like about those artists?
Why do you like working with this specific painting medium? 
What was the most challenging question I asked you? 

Then came my turn to ask questions, and this is where is got strange.
Q: Do alumni ever return as visiting artists? 
A: No never, maybe once in the last 10 years.

Q: Do you find that most alumni stay in Baltimore? 
A: Everyone is different. Some stay here because it’s cheaper that NYC. There are a lot of smaller art hubs. 

Q: MICA is a two year program, what are the benefits of a two year program vs. a three year program? 
A: I don’t know, it was like that when I got here. You would have to ask the Grad school administrator. 

This is where it got silent and she asked if I had any more questions. I didn’t want to say no, so I thought of something on the spot. 
Q: From your experience as the MFA director, what is your favorite aspect of the program? 
A: That is an extremely inappropriate question. That is too personal of a question and you should not be asking such an inappropriate question. I would not ask you something like that. 
I was so shocked by this. I was talking about the program. I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to speak about the benefits of MICA. I mean, I’m trying to decide what school is best for me as well. I ended up apologizing and she said it’s ok. Then said I have a funny question for you. What do you like to do outside of painting? 

I’m really upset right now because I feel like that was an over reaction? I keep going over it again and again in my head. I’m trying to think if there was something else I said that was wrong. Was it inappropriate to ask what her favorite aspect of the program is? 

I don’t know. I guess I’m not getting in. I still have an interview with Hunter on Saturday. I hope that goes better. 

24 minutes ago, CSElli said:

It was a one on one interview with the director. And it went really well... at first. 
She asked:

Why MICA? 

A: Everyone is different. Some stay here because it’s cheaper that NYC. There are a lot of smaller art hubs. 

Q: MICA is a two year program, what are the benefits of a two year program vs. a three year program? 
A: I don’t know, it was like that when I got here. You would have to ask the Grad school administrator. 

This is where it got silent and she asked if I had any more questions. I didn’t want to say no, so I thought of something on the spot. 
Q: From your experience as the MFA director, what is your favorite aspect of the program? 
A: That is an extremely inappropriate question. That is too personal of a question and you should not be asking such an inappropriate question. I would not ask you something like that. 
I was so shocked by this. I was talking about the program. I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to speak about the benefits of MICA. I mean, I’m trying to decide what school is best for me as well. I ended up apologizing and she said it’s ok. Then said I have a funny question for you. What do you like to do outside of painting? 

I’m really upset right now because I feel like that was an over reaction? I keep going over it again and again in my head. I’m trying to think if there was something else I said that was wrong. Was it inappropriate to ask what her favorite aspect of the program is? 

I don’t know. I guess I’m not getting in. I still have an interview with Hunter on Saturday. I hope that goes better. 

Ouf..I feel for you, that must’ve been difficult! I dont think it is weird to ask that question at all. If the phrasing was not satisfactory to them, they could’ve rephrased it and then answered (I’m thinking something along the lines of “well, i dont have a favorite part but i think the strengths of the program are etc..)

I really dont get the whole scare tactic...as artists I think a huge responsibility is making art more accessible. I dont think this elitist power dynamic serves that at all!

We are the ones who are committing our time, money and efforts to this 2 year program, if anything it is offensive to be offended by such questions! They should be welcoming any opportunity to clear confusions and highlight the qualities of their program, not push students away!

I’m sad to hear about your experience, and it really makes MICA look bad!

1 hour ago, CSElli said:

She asked:

Why MICA? 

Yeah, that’s some bs. A director like that should step down.

Hey, hey everyone. I just got an email from U of Washington to have a second interview for the Photo program. What the hell do they want to talk about, I am freaking out. Like what should I say to swing the pendalum my way. Damn. They say “it should be more casual”. Dows anyone have insight?  

1 minute ago, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, hey everyone. I just got an email from U of Washington to have a second interview for the Photo program. What the hell do they want to talk about, I am freaking out. Like what should I say to swing the pendalum my way. Damn. They say “it should be more casual”. Dows anyone have insight?  

I would say that they really like your work and responded to you as a candidate but just might want to get to know you a bit more? Maybe the first interview was very formal and there wasn't enough time to get a real read on who you are. You'll probably get in tbh. 

Hey all,

I applied to Parsons, Pratt, UCLA, Hunter Cuny, RISD, Yale and Columbia MFA programs. So far I have had one very promising and positive interview with Parsons and I have been rejected by Yale. (The program at Yale was a super longshot with only 3 spots open in my area, so I had no illusions of getting in.) But has anyone heard of from any of these other programs? I am also wondering if they're going to request interviews too.

Good luck everyone!

Is anyone aware of the situation that is going on at Bard? I'm interviewing with them next week and I've heard snippets from a variety of sources that they are having some difficulties right now (not sure if it is Covid or Faculty related). Anyone have an insight to this via current students?

2 minutes ago, sunnydelightt said:

I got a rejection letter from UCI yesterday and so did my friend! 

I’m really sorry to hear that! I wish you best with the rest of your school! I interviewed at the beginning of Feb... but haven’t hear anything! :o 

2 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

Ouf..I feel for you, that must’ve been difficult! I dont think it is weird to ask that question at all. If the phrasing was not satisfactory to them, they could’ve rephrased it and then answered (I’m thinking something along the lines of “well, i dont have a favorite part but i think the strengths of the program are etc..)

I really dont get the whole scare tactic...as artists I think a huge responsibility is making art more accessible. I dont think this elitist power dynamic serves that at all!

We are the ones who are committing our time, money and efforts to this 2 year program, if anything it is offensive to be offended by such questions! They should be welcoming any opportunity to clear confusions and highlight the qualities of their program, not push students away!

I’m sad to hear about your experience, and it really makes MICA look bad!

Thank you for reaching out. It helps to have some sort of validation because I keep going over the interaction in my head. Like logically I know I’m in the right, but emotionally I need to come to terms with that. 

I wish you the best on your future plans! 

3 hours ago, andrew_wyn said:

Hiii :D  YEEEES IM FREAKING OUT !!!! I got an interview for the CalArts Art + Tech MFA and I'm so damn nervous. Could you share some of your experience/ some of the questions they asked you. That would be incredibly helpful :)

Hi, Andrew! When I interviewed at CalArts Art & Technology, it was pre-pandemic so I visited in person. I'm assuming your interview is probably over Zoom or Skype? I spoke largely with Tom Leeser for the sort of official interview, and with Scott Benzel sort of outside of official interviews, like tours and lunch, etc. I also spoke briefly with Stephenie Cheng Smith, after a performance of theirs. Everyone was great. The interview itself was just like a pretty open conversation. It didn't seem like the questions were formulaic or anything, just them looking at and asking questions about my specific work, and me asking questions about them and the school and how we might fit together, just us having a good conversation. I had a really positive experience there, and it was really hard to turn down their offer, but we only get to one grad school at a time after all. I still regularly use some of the advice they gave me.

I hope this is helpful? Some of the interviews I did elsewhere pretty clearly had a set series of questions they asked everybody, but CalArts didn't seem to, or else we just got rolling and deviated from the plan pretty quickly. Anyway, my basic advice for most anywhere would be: Just be ready to talk about your work and yourself, have good questions for them, and look at it as an interesting conversation where you are trying to make a good impression.

Best of luck! Let me know if you or anyone else has any other questions, either here or PM.

Again, I am at VCUarts right now, and also have experience all the way through the interview and decision process at several other schools (SAIC, Cranbrook, CalArts, University of Michigan, SVA, NYU, RISD, Columbia), particularly with new media, new genres, sound art, video art, art and technology, etc etc. so I might be able to answer questions about those as well.

10 minutes ago, CSElli said:

Thank you for reaching out. It helps to have some sort of validation because I keep going over the interaction in my head. Like logically I know I’m in the right, but emotionally I need to come to terms with that. 

I wish you the best on your future plans! 

I’m sorry this happened to you. Sounds extremely unprofessional.

1 hour ago, zoopsia said:

Hey all,

I applied to Parsons, Pratt, UCLA, Hunter Cuny, RISD, Yale and Columbia MFA programs. So far I have had one very promising and positive interview with Parsons and I have been rejected by Yale. (The program at Yale was a super longshot with only 3 spots open in my area, so I had no illusions of getting in.) But has anyone heard of from any of these other programs? I am also wondering if they're going to request interviews too.

Good luck everyone!

I applied to Pratt as well but have heard nothing.  I don't think anyone else on here have heard from them either.  I'm applying for painting.  How about you?

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

I think this is a good thing and perhaps almost an acceptance? Them saying it will be more casual and taking the time to talk to you more just seems like a very positive sign to me. 
I’d just go into it confident and familiar and see what they want to talk about!  Wanting to invest more time would usually suggest they like you! 

2 minutes ago, jack343234 said:

I applied to Pratt as well but have heard nothing.  I don't think anyone else on here have heard from them either.  I'm applying for painting.  How about you?

I was going to apply there and decided not to apply. Anyways they emailed me today and said their applications are due March 1, 2021.

11 minutes ago, jack343234 said:

Ok, good to know. Thanks! I’m applying for sculpture and new media, depending on the program. Good luck to you!