MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

8 hours ago, sunnydelightt said:

Almost 15 minutes! They also asked questions along the way but the interview was exactly 30 minutes including me asking them questions :)

Thank you so much! I would assume it would have been like 5, so thanks for your help!

This is a bit of an odd question, but does anyone know if Columbia accepted anyone for the class of 2022? I see that there are a handful of Sound Arts MFA candidates, but no one is listed for Visual Arts. I ask because I was waitlisted last year and didn't get my formal rejection until about two weeks after the term supposedly started. 

I just found this forum, and wow, this is so helpful! 
Has anyone applied to Arizona State University’s MFA painting program for Fall 2021? If so, have you heard any updates on your application? 
My progress so far:

Hunter College - Interview scheduled for Saturday 

MICA - Interview scheduled for tomorrow 

Ohio University - Pending, no response 

ASU - Pending, no response 

Thanks for your help! 

15 minutes ago, HB9bird said:

What department? I heard from Craft & Materials a couple weeks ago. Seems like a lot of ppl are waiting to hear from their Sculpture department.

I am waiting for the response from painting department(VCU)
Then, sculpture did not mail the interview results to interviewees yet?

I hope painting department too.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Edited by Bybyegg

23 hours ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

In my most recent interview I got unexpectedly grilled about my age... like about how young I was. How do y'all feel about this? It feels like a backhanded question meant to throw ppl off, has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

giphy.gif

I know some programs like you to have some life experience out of college to make. I applied my first year out of school, and got waitlisted to a few places. I was upset at the time, but looking back I’m so thankful I didn’t. My work has changed so completely in a 3 year span that I really know what I want from an MFA program.

1 hour ago, CSElli said:

I just found this forum, and wow, this is so helpful! 
Has anyone applied to Arizona State University’s MFA painting program for Fall 2021? If so, have you heard any updates on your application? 
My progress so far:

Hunter College - Interview scheduled for Saturday 

MICA - Interview scheduled for tomorrow 

Ohio University - Pending, no response 

ASU - Pending, no response 

Thanks for your help! 

!!! I'm still waiting on an answer from Hunter in Painting :0 did you find out recently?! 

Congrats!

6 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

For those of us that interviewed on Saturday with SAIC, when do you think we’ll hear back on acceptances?

I was told that we should hear back by March 1st, but I don't know if that's for all departments.

22 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

For those of us that interviewed on Saturday with SAIC, when do you think we’ll hear back on acceptances?

Supposedly, we are to hear back by March 1st. However, it looks like acceptances already started going out. Someone in the ceramics department received an acceptance. 

35 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I applied for photo and already received an acceptance, by phone, but if I don't get more scholarship I wouldn't be able to attend... the news was equal parts exciting and kind of frustrating... I think they'll be giving news soon.

I had a question maybe someone who has applied more than one cycle could answer... If you haven't been contacted for an interview, are you pretty much out of the running for that program? Just trying to balance out acceptances with programs I haven't heard from, and what I can expect moving forward!

49 minutes ago, charliethecat said:

!!! I'm still waiting on an answer from Hunter in Painting :0 did you find out recently?! 

Congrats!

❤️ Thank you! 
Hannah Schutzengel (MFA Graduate Advisor) emailed me on 2/17, so kind of recent. 

11 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I had a question maybe someone who has applied more than one cycle could answer... If you haven't been contacted for an interview, are you pretty much out of the running for that program? Just trying to balance out acceptances with programs I haven't heard from, and what I can expect moving forward!

I guess it depends on the program, if you're expecting to hear from a school (or more specifically a department in that school) that you have confirmation that it already had some rounds of interviews, then perhaps yes you're out. But if the school or department either hasn't sent out interviews for anyone, or doesn't interview all of the finalists (like UCLA says it does) then I wouldn't consider myself out just yet.

I was ruling out columbia's new genres (because people here said they were already being contacted by its painting department) but I received my invitation to interview just today a few hours ago.

Right now I'm expecting to hear from UCLA Interdisciplinary/New Genres - some people had an interview but my hope is placed on being one of the finalists that isn't called for interview, which is perhaps naive optimism... I don't know.

It helped me a lot to see if people here were posting about the programs I applied to.

Edited by hsag
typo

3 hours ago, paul123 said:

This is a bit of an odd question, but does anyone know if Columbia accepted anyone for the class of 2022? I see that there are a handful of Sound Arts MFA candidates, but no one is listed for Visual Arts. I ask because I was waitlisted last year and didn't get my formal rejection until about two weeks after the term supposedly started. 

I know someone who was accepted in photo. He turned them down but did get an acceptance. If you check last years forum you can also see that students were accepted.  They probably just forgot to update the website. 

Edited by theundoing

Thanks for those who have been updating! Just sharing my side of things if it helps: 

UCI: no interview, rejected 

UIUC: interviewed, accepted with funding

DOVA: interviewed, accepted with funding

UCLA: no interview, probably rejection 

UCSD: interviewed, waiting 

ATP: interviewed, waiting

ISU: no interview, accepted with chance to apply for funding April 1

SAIC low res: no interview, accepted no funding

Edited by Purplepinkey

8 minutes ago, aniben3 said:

I got an email from ASU a few days ago saying they’d be contacting waitlisted & admitted students by mid-March, for anyone hoping for ASU news. 

Thank you for the update! Did you get an interview? If so, was it for the painting department? 

3 hours ago, HB9bird said:

What department? I heard from Craft & Materials a couple weeks ago. Seems like a lot of ppl are waiting to hear from their Sculpture department.

I had an interview for sculpture yesterday. They said we'd hear in one or two weeks. 

3 minutes ago, CSElli said:

Thank you for the update! Did you get an interview? If so, was it for the painting department? 

Yes, I did interview, it was for fiber! They said they’re accepting 11 students total for the MFA program this year with 1-2 per department depending on funding availability.