MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

54 minutes ago, katfude said:

I was thinking the same thing.. it's also interesting to see the vibe shift between the interview request email and the actual interview. In my first interview, the email request tone was VERY nonchalant and perky seeming to guarantee acceptance into the program.. so I thought it was just going to be a quick "make sure I know what art is/not nuts" situation, but then ended up being grilled by monotoned academics on my research priorities and it was a bit jarring. Just a heads up to everyone to be ready for anything!!

Seconding this!!!!! I have been in three different interviews and two was much more casual (why do you want to come here? what do you like to do for fun?) and one felt like a mini critique (you mentioned blah blah blah about your influences but i noticed xyz in your work that has a history of zxy. Can you share with us reading you have done that supports xyz?) But they all made me excited about starting grad school. So I guess, mission accomplished? ??‍♀️?‍♀️??‍♀️

Edited by Purplepinkey

6 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

I really dont know how my interview with SAIC painting went. Only one out of the two faculty members asked me most of the questions while the other seemed either completely uninterested or distracted. It made me really nervous and I had a hard time concentrating on my answers. It seemed they had not even read my statement or seen my work.
I did get a few student names to connect with, that’s the only “good” sign I think.
Kinda bummed.

Still excited to meet some of you in the student mixer later!

I felt the same way! I had an interview today and it was mostly 30 minutes of me going through my portfolio while they commented or asked a question every once in a while. They said they had never seen the portfolio before. Does anyone know anything more about their selection process??

Also I wasn't able to make it to the student mixer, how was it?!

1 hour ago, rmwphoto said:

Received a couple hits on my website from CU Boulder, so fingers crossed for all of us waiting that we will start to hear something soon! 

Maybe it is a stupid question, but how do I check when a certain institution looks through my website?

10 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Maybe it is a stupid question, but how do I check when a certain institution looks through my website?

So you won't be able to see that it's a certain institution, but Squarespace will let you know what city it is! I just know its Boulder bc the hits came from Denver, CO :)

When you click on your website from the account dashboard, on the left hand menu (where it says pages, design, commerce etc) will be Analytics and click that, and it'll bring up your hits but under that Analytics overview will be Geography! Hope that helps! 

54 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

If your website is Squarespace check the analytics for geography which will tell you which locations have been viewing your website if you get any hits in relevant locations go to 'activity log' on the side menu, click on 'Visitor IP Address' and the referrer will be the name of the university or school.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, GwenC said:

Been lurking and wanted to post my update for sculpture MFA aps

RCA (1st round) - Accepted

Yale - Rejected

UCLA - waiting?

Emily Carr - waiting

Just got an interview request for MIT SMACT.

my college roommate is a freshman at SMACT! he really likes the program & was also very nervous for interviews but said Renee Green is very nice : )

8 hours ago, katkat said:

For people who have already done a mixer, I have one tonight and I’m just wondering if it is casual or does it almost feel like a secondary interview? 

is this a mixer for students who have been waitlisted ? i hope its fun & am very curious to hear how it goes!

59 minutes ago, antlore said:

is this a mixer for students who have been waitlisted ? i hope its fun & am very curious to hear how it goes!

Usually, these are mixers for everybody who is a finalist. In times pre-pandemic, you would go to interview in person and they would have a lunch or something of that sort on the day of your interview. You know, something casual just to feel your vibe in a more relaxed setting, get a tour, ask general questions, meet current students, etc. Not all schools have them, but they are more common in schools that do shorter individual interviews. Naturally, it’s a bit awkward but it’s ok.  :) 

49 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

Usually, these are mixers for everybody who is a finalist. In times pre-pandemic, you would go to interview in person and they would have a lunch or something of that sort on the day of your interview. You know, something casual just to feel your vibe in a more relaxed setting, get a tour, ask general questions, meet current students, etc. Not all schools have them, but they are more common in schools that do shorter individual interviews. Naturally, it’s a bit awkward but it’s ok.  :) 

I couldn’t attend mine due to different time zone

Will that affect their decision? 

5 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

I applied for Photography and have not heard anything since my first interview.... Honestly, the prospect of a second round of interviews does sound a bit insane to me. I really hope I am not rejected. 

You shouldn't worry. I think it should be different for different departments

Just now, TheePainter said:

Yay congrats!! Who did you interview with the first time? The director was in my first interview with some other faculty. I'm hoping that's a good sign??

Yeah. I interviewed with Anthony Aziz, Sharmishtha Ray, Andrea Geyer and Lydia Matthew. For the second interview I'll be interviewing with them all again. Are you in it too?

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Yeah. I interviewed with Anthony Aziz, Sharmishtha Ray, Andrea Geyer and Lydia Matthew. For the second interview I'll be interviewing with them all again. Are you in it too?

I interviewed with almost the same group, except with Matthew Villarreal instead of Lydia Matthew, on Feb 11th! I haven't heard much from them since. I hope that the second one goes well for you!!!

9 hours ago, antlore said:

my college roommate is a freshman at SMACT! he really likes the program & was also very nervous for interviews but said Renee Green is very nice : )

That's really encouraging to hear, MIT is my first choice! I'm super nervous about the interview and don't know what to expect since this is my first interview. Would you or your roommate have any tips?

2 hours ago, katkat said:

I feel like this was mentioned before, but are people sending thank you emails after interviews? I don't want to seem over eager or something. Thanks!

I'm in the camp of thinking that unnecessary emails wouldn't do anything for me if I was in their situation. Of course say thank you at the end of your interview but another email during a busy time that doesn't have any new information might be too much. That's just my opinion and I'm sure the various people interviewing you might have differing thoughts on the subject.

Edited by kwemo
Typo

8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Any word from Hunter or Columbia yet?

Still waiting. I'm assuming I'm rejected. Has anyone who interviewed for Tyler painting heard back? They told me I will hear from them in mid February but still nothing.