MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 2/10/2021 at 5:08 AM, vitbit said:

Is anyone else feeling completely disillusioned waiting to hear back knowing how much money and time you dedicated to these applications? So far I got two rejections and one interview with MICA that I think went really well, but at the same time it's their job to make us feel comfortable and confident during the interview. Just knowing how hard I worked and seeing how passionate and talented everyone in this forum is makes me angry. It might be a little bit of entitlement, but gosh, we really are just begging them to let us owe them money for the next decade in most cases and yet it is such a demoralizing struggle. 

Hi. I completely agree!! I have an interview with MICA soon. Do you have any pointers? Thanks in advance :D

1 hour ago, jadedfish said:

Hi all!!! I have an interview for MFA painting with MICA day after tomorrow. Does anyone of you know what kind of questions I should be ready to...aaah freaking out

Mica hoffberger? If so it is one on one with the director. 

Be prepared for a very in depth questioning about your work. And prepared to talk about pieces in the portfolio you applied with specifically if asked about them. 

Other questions include:

What's your process?

What do you hope to get from the program?

What can you offer to the program?

What do you do outside of art making? Hobbies?

What media (books, movies, etc. )has influenced you of late?

Why this program? 

Questions for us?

There were a few more q, but i cant remember them right now  

The interview impressed me, way more questions were asked than my other interview and maybe because it's one on one it was very conversational. Very lucid and candid observations of the work from the director. Mainly be ready for many specific questions about your work and it's themes. That was the main dish of interview, the other questions were side dish. interview went on 10 minute overtime- 40 minute total . So do not feel any time pressure- bring the honest answer to the table and director will bring their honest perspective/ q's

Good luck! 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, teetertotterr said:

call! they said they called but there is also something coming in the mail... i didn't receive any financial aid whatsoever, and would be curious to hear if anyone else that applied for low res got a scholarship. 

I got the letter in the mail yesterday!!! But same! I didn't receive any information about financial aid yet.. I'm guessing we'll get the financial package soon?

On 2/17/2021 at 11:39 PM, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, are you a current Tulane student or they gave you an offer for Fall 2021? 

Oh sorry in the context of the question I was responding to this made sense but I should be more clear. I chose to APPLY to Tulane. I just have an interview. I have not been accepted yet.

Did anyone out there apply to Concordia in Montreal? I haven't seen many Canadian programs mentioned so far, and no references to Concordia. I applied for the Drawing + Painting program, and it's one of my two top choices. I'm curious to know if anyone else applied and is waiting to hear back? Thanks!

1 minute ago, Artist99 said:

When was your interview? I was assuming acceptance would come out today around 5 PM PST. I am just figuring they will do it at the end of the day, but who knows! How was your interview?

Oops haha I misunderstood. I was never interviewed- so I've definitely been rejected. All of this stress has my brain turning to mush! 

hi I only applied to UPenn and Columbia University both for photo. Got interviewed with UPenn and it went well I guess? I am still waiting on to hear from Columbia and I am wondering if anyone applied for photo this year has heard back from Columbia?And also if any one who had interviewed with Columbia could share their experiences and tips? Much appreciated in advance!

Edited by linlinlin