MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

4 hours ago, CSElli said:

Ok, so I just had my interview with MICA. 
It was a one on one interview with the director. And it went really well... at first. 
She asked:

How long have you been painting? 
What are your artistic strengths? 
What are your artistic weaknesses? 
Why MICA? 
What artists are you influenced by? 
What specifically do you like about those artists?
Why do you like working with this specific painting medium? 
What was the most challenging question I asked you? 

Then came my turn to ask questions, and this is where is got strange.
Q: Do alumni ever return as visiting artists? 
A: No never, maybe once in the last 10 years.

Q: Do you find that most alumni stay in Baltimore? 
A: Everyone is different. Some stay here because it’s cheaper that NYC. There are a lot of smaller art hubs. 

Q: MICA is a two year program, what are the benefits of a two year program vs. a three year program? 
A: I don’t know, it was like that when I got here. You would have to ask the Grad school administrator. 

This is where it got silent and she asked if I had any more questions. I didn’t want to say no, so I thought of something on the spot. 
Q: From your experience as the MFA director, what is your favorite aspect of the program? 
A: That is an extremely inappropriate question. That is too personal of a question and you should not be asking such an inappropriate question. I would not ask you something like that. 
I was so shocked by this. I was talking about the program. I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to speak about the benefits of MICA. I mean, I’m trying to decide what school is best for me as well. I ended up apologizing and she said it’s ok. Then said I have a funny question for you. What do you like to do outside of painting? 

I’m really upset right now because I feel like that was an over reaction? I keep going over it again and again in my head. I’m trying to think if there was something else I said that was wrong. Was it inappropriate to ask what her favorite aspect of the program is? 

I don’t know. I guess I’m not getting in. I still have an interview with Hunter on Saturday. I hope that goes better. 

I'm so sorry that happened! Personally, I think it is important to remember that when you interview at a school you are also interviewing them. That director sounds horrible and weirdly gave you a lot of information about what your experience would be like at the school. I agree with someone below ...it makes MICA look horrible. 

Edited by theundoing

On 2/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, Sofullsofull said:

Does anyone get an interview from NYU? I know they extended the application deadline. 

@sofullsofull

I also applied to NYU. Haven't heard back yet.

Do you know how long the deadline was extended?

5 hours ago, CSElli said:

It was a one on one interview with the director. And it went really well... at first. 
She asked:

Why MICA? 

A: Everyone is different. Some stay here because it’s cheaper that NYC. There are a lot of smaller art hubs. 

Q: MICA is a two year program, what are the benefits of a two year program vs. a three year program? 
A: I don’t know, it was like that when I got here. You would have to ask the Grad school administrator. 

This is where it got silent and she asked if I had any more questions. I didn’t want to say no, so I thought of something on the spot. 
Q: From your experience as the MFA director, what is your favorite aspect of the program? 
A: That is an extremely inappropriate question. That is too personal of a question and you should not be asking such an inappropriate question. I would not ask you something like that. 
I was so shocked by this. I was talking about the program. I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to speak about the benefits of MICA. I mean, I’m trying to decide what school is best for me as well. I ended up apologizing and she said it’s ok. Then said I have a funny question for you. What do you like to do outside of painting? 

I’m really upset right now because I feel like that was an over reaction? I keep going over it again and again in my head. I’m trying to think if there was something else I said that was wrong. Was it inappropriate to ask what her favorite aspect of the program is? 

I don’t know. I guess I’m not getting in. I still have an interview with Hunter on Saturday. I hope that goes better. 

Knowing a few folks from MICA I am not surprised especially as their painting program is tops.

Without knowing what you exactly asked in your interview this is pretty much conjecture. However, asking the director that question can be read as not a good idea and to be honest as directors are not artists but tend to be the power players in the contemporary art world they will see any question which denigrates their program as a negative. To ask what their favorite part of the program exists suggests that you see some parts of their program as second-rate or even questionable in quality. So I am not surprised that she got pissed off slightly by that question. Plus you also are asking for her opinion about the program and she is acting as an administrator and not in her artist (if she is even one) capacity so that question could be seen as very indiscreet.

Thus not really an over reaction but considering the elite status of MICA, I can see the flip side of what seems to be an innocent question being overinterpretated as an intrusion.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

4 hours ago, CSElli said:

She asked:

Why MICA? 

Yikes! All I can think if is that maybe they misheard you because I say THEIR response is “extremely inappropriate”!

Personally, I think that’s a great question to ask! I’ve asked that in interviews before. I also like to ask what they would love to change about the program, if anything. I ask that in job interviews too. I find it quite telling if they give me a thoughtful response vs. a more rote response.

I’m just so baffled by their reaction! They definitely overreacted. You definitely were not inappropriate. 

Baffled!! 

4 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

Ouf..I feel for you, that must’ve been difficult! I dont think it is weird to ask that question at all. If the phrasing was not satisfactory to them, they could’ve rephrased it and then answered (I’m thinking something along the lines of “well, i dont have a favorite part but i think the strengths of the program are etc..)

I really dont get the whole scare tactic...as artists I think a huge responsibility is making art more accessible. I dont think this elitist power dynamic serves that at all!

We are the ones who are committing our time, money and efforts to this 2 year program, if anything it is offensive to be offended by such questions! They should be welcoming any opportunity to clear confusions and highlight the qualities of their program, not push students away!

I’m sad to hear about your experience, and it really makes MICA look bad!

I am embedded in what you are saying about the elitist aspects of the contemporary art world and artists tend to be very democratic or caring about each other. However, the power players and art dealers are going to be elitists (and museum directors I wouldn't even comment) so if you are trying to get museum shows and gallery representation, any idealist concept about the happy little Bob Ross community about the art world will be burst immediately.

The scare tactic gets to be very brutal. As I have been making the rounds in the contemporary art world, the fact that I have seen much ugliness like my art friend getting paid by his former art dealers with bricks of cocaine instead of cash or another artist getting her artwork sabotaged by her assistant because of jealousy are more commonplace stories of how the elite and non-communal aspects of the contemporary art world function.

8 minutes ago, HB9bird said:

Yikes! All I can think if is that maybe they misheard you because I say THEIR response is “extremely inappropriate”!

Personally, I think that’s a great question to ask! I’ve asked that in interviews before. I also like to ask what they would love to change about the program, if anything. I ask that in job interviews too. I find it quite telling if they give me a thoughtful response vs. a more rote response.

I’m just so baffled by their reaction! They definitely overreacted. You definitely were not inappropriate. 

Baffled!! 

Ironically I am not baffled, MICA painting is a huge heavyweight program that graduated some the legends in the art world:

1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Koons

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Sherald

3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesley_Dill

4) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Baechler

5) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Enright

6) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_H._Fallah

7) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Louis

But honestly, I don't think that your question was an issue but considering that they are pretty open to interpretation, one can see how those get twisted here.

1 minute ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I am embedded in what you are saying about the elitist aspects of the contemporary art world and artists tend to be very democratic or caring about each other. However, the power players and art dealers are going to be elitists (and museum directors I wouldn't even comment) so if you are trying to get museum shows and gallery representation, any idealist concept about the happy little Bob Ross community about the art world will be burst immediately.

The scare tactic gets to be very brutal. As I have been making the rounds in the contemporary art world, the fact that I have seen much ugliness like my art friend getting paid by his former art dealers with bricks of cocaine instead of cash or another artist getting her artwork sabotaged by her assistant because of jealousy are more commonplace stories of how the elite and non-communal aspects of the contemporary art world function.

I agree, it is the reality especially on the commercial side. I have worked in galleries, at an auction house and a museum and have seen this first hand. But there is enough of that there; I would say I think there’s enough time to get to know the brutal elitism that exists in the real world, or “the market,” but I don’t believe that either. Things are changing. The power that gatekeepers held is slowly making its way into our hands, the artists. Ive interviewed artists who are getting out of contracts with their galleries because they are able to grow their art and reach on their own via social media! Lots more people are skipping MFAs altogether and doing okay too. With COVID, everything is changing exponentially, but this movement started way before

The art world can be gross. It’s terrible to hear about your friends experience getting paid with cocaine or another’s work being sabotaged. The reality is, these whole power structures depend on us. Without artists, there are no museums, no galleries, no auction houses. It’s about time they were reminded!

I am looking for a place that values me...and those places exist! I’ve had different vibes from different interviews. And those interactions will definitely inform my decision. I do understand that sometimes our situations make it difficult to choose those environments that are less traditional or elitist..I’ve had to swallow my pride more than a couple of times in my work experience.. but I am finding that there is hope and there are alternatives!

28 minutes ago, tdrae said:

@sofullsofull

I also applied to NYU. Haven't heard back yet.

Do you know how long the deadline was extended?

I went to the NYU open house and really dig their laid back approach. It looked like a pretty awesome place :)

Just now, PlzTakeME said:

I agree, it is the reality especially on the commercial side. I have worked in galleries, at an auction house and a museum and have seen this first hand. But there is enough of that there; I would say I think there’s enough time to get to know the brutal elitism that exists in the real world, or “the market,” but I don’t believe that either. Things are changing. The power that gatekeepers held is slowly making its way into our hands, the artists. Ive interviewed artists who are getting out of contracts with their galleries because they are able to grow their art and reach on their own via social media! Lots more people are skipping MFAs altogether and doing okay too. With COVID, everything is changing exponentially, but this movement started way before

The art world can be gross. It’s terrible to hear about your friends experience getting paid with cocaine or another’s work being sabotaged. The reality is, these whole power structures depend on us. Without artists, there are no museums, no galleries, no auction houses. It’s about time they were reminded!

I am looking for a place that values me...and those places exist! I’ve had different vibes from different interviews. And those interactions will definitely inform my decision. I do understand that sometimes our situations make it difficult to choose those environments that are less traditional or elitist..I’ve had to swallow my pride more than a couple of times in my work experience.. but I am finding that there is hope and there are alternatives!

Indeed... I spent last year thinking about this and decided to start my own curatorial space in downtown Salt Lake City called Office Space (officespaceslc.com). I think that artist-run galleries are the best antidote to the traditional art power structures. I don't know whether I will make much of a difference but I am hoping that whatever meager effort I put in to create artist-safe spaces is my legacy in addition to the work I create.

I think that if artists decide en masse to remove power from galleries and museums back to their domains instead of leaving it up to dealers and museum officials, then perhaps we could have stronger concepts and issues in art instead of commercial eye candies.

6 hours ago, CSElli said:

She asked:

Why MICA? 

Sounds like an appropriate question to me. Feels like they didn't like being put on the spot..

I wouldn't feel bad about it, I think you got a good insight into the dynamics there.  

Was this the Hoffberger program? I felt a little uneasy about the program, just due to it's lack of faculty and reliance on the director to keep things going. Which is where my uneasiness rests, I thought if my relationship with this Director goes South, then there's no other faculty to turn to for guidance.

5 hours ago, rettetsvo said:

Is anyone aware of the situation that is going on at Bard? I'm interviewing with them next week and I've heard snippets from a variety of sources that they are having some difficulties right now (not sure if it is Covid or Faculty related). Anyone have an insight to this via current students?

I'd love to know more information on the state of things at Bard, too. Anyone have info?

50 minutes ago, 123123435 said:

I'd love to know more information on the state of things at Bard, too. Anyone have info?

My good friend goes to Bard (photography). I have an interview with photo. My friend says that more will be known more this weekend. So far...I have been told:

1) A few faculty have explicitly stated that the program is falling apart.

2) Faculty and admin are in a big standoff about COVID stuff this summer

3) Most Faculty want the program to be remote vs. many students want in person. So it seems likely that there will be 2 or so faculty in person per discipline whereas most faculty will be online. 

4) ~ 30-50% of students want to be entirely online (or will not be able to attend in person bc of travel restrictions)

5) Last summer was remote and it really sucked. 

6) Bard does not do weekly testing and instead practices random pool testing.... eek

7) Many first years from last year's cycle are returning as first years so the class size might be extra big. This could impact funding as returning students are guaranteed the same funding. 

...this is all speculation. Maybe the admin and faculty will settle their differences???

happy to pass on any more knowledge but to me those are the main takeaways. 

Edited by theundoing

44 minutes ago, theundoing said:

My good friend goes to Bard (photography). I have an interview with photo. My friend says that more will be known more this weekend. So far...I have been told:

1) A few faculty have explicitly stated that the program is falling apart.

2) Faculty and admin are in a big standoff about COVID stuff this summer

3) Most Faculty want the program to be remote vs. many students want in person. So it seems likely that there will be 2 or so faculty in person per discipline whereas most faculty will be online. 

4) ~ 30-50% of students want to be entirely online (or will not be able to attend in person bc of travel restrictions)

5) Last summer was remote and it really sucked. 

6) Bard does not do weekly testing and instead practices random pool testing.... eek

7) Many first years from last year's cycle are returning as first years so the class size might be extra big. This could impact funding as returning students are guaranteed the same funding. 

...this is all speculation. Maybe the admin and faculty will settle their differences???

happy to pass on any more knowledge but to me those are the main takeaways. 

Wow thank you so much for this great information. Bard is my dream school. So this is a lot to unpack and think through. I guess they're doing the same on their end -- unpacking and thinking it out.

What you say about "the program falling apart" sounds really extreme though. I mean, COVID is such a challenge and such a disruption that we are all experiencing, but is Bard doing anything especially off course or mismanaged? Don't you think it's an exaggeration that it's falling apart?

I hope they do find a path forward. This summer will still be a challenge, but since it's three years, it seems by the next year things will be figured out. Would love to know any more information you have! Thank you so much for sharing this.

2 minutes ago, 123123435 said:

Wow thank you so much for this great information. Bard is my dream school. So this is a lot to unpack and think through. I guess they're doing the same on their end -- unpacking and thinking it out.

What you say about "the program falling apart" sounds really extreme though. I mean, COVID is such a challenge and such a disruption that we are all experiencing, but is Bard doing anything especially off course or mismanaged? Don't you think it's an exaggeration that it's falling apart?

I hope they do find a path forward. This summer will still be a challenge, but since it's three years, it seems by the next year things will be figured out. Would love to know any more information you have! Thank you so much for sharing this.

It seems that the biggest issue with Bard is that admin aren't listening to faculty concerns and are pissing faculty off. Two co-chairs already left last summer and the fear is that there will be a mass exodus of faculty. Since a big appeal of the program is amazing, dedicated faculty...that would be a big big issue for the program. Three years might allow for things to settle but...if a bunch of faculty get annoyed and leave then it might take longer to rebuild the program. ++ if a bunch of students take leave this summer the program would take a big financial hit. My friend says that the new director seems to be some sort of upper admin sycophant instead of advocating for faculty or students. and ... of course there is a lot of ego involved in this fight.  "falling apart" sounds extreme to me but that is why my friend remembered that quote...because it was very alarming. 

I hope there will be more information by the time a deposit is due. If I am even offered a spot :)

37 minutes ago, theundoing said:

It seems that the biggest issue with Bard is that admin aren't listening to faculty concerns and are pissing faculty off. Two co-chairs already left last summer and the fear is that there will be a mass exodus of faculty. Since a big appeal of the program is amazing, dedicated faculty...that would be a big big issue for the program. Three years might allow for things to settle but...if a bunch of faculty get annoyed and leave then it might take longer to rebuild the program. ++ if a bunch of students take leave this summer the program would take a big financial hit. My friend says that the new director seems to be some sort of upper admin sycophant instead of advocating for faculty or students. and ... of course there is a lot of ego involved in this fight.  "falling apart" sounds extreme to me but that is why my friend remembered that quote...because it was very alarming. 

I hope there will be more information by the time a deposit is due. If I am even offered a spot :)

Also I believe that ICP-Bard is ran separately with Neyland Blake as the director so this probably only applies to the upstate Bard program.

I have 2 years (or so) left to apply for a MFA program and honestly, it's an ongoing battle between validation and success within the contemporary art world (the cutting-edge stuff and not the traditional art/classic) and self-satisfaction. But I will continue to be active and be supportive here while relaxing here before I have to apply in fall 2022.

49 minutes ago, 123123435 said:

Some folks argue that Columbia's program is in the same route as this. However, to be honest, I think it's an individual step. When I apply honestly I tend to be very self-directly and for me, I will continue doing art even if the world is collapsing around me.

One shining example of success in a MFA program is a recent Columbia program graduate Susan MB Chen. https://susanmbchen.com/. Already fresh out of Columbia, she had already sold every single painting in her first solo painting at Meredith Rosen before the show physically exhibited. The reviews for her work has been glowing and she is cutting a new path for Asian-American contemporary figurative art.

Even though some folks complained that Columbia was falling apart and completely junked out, Ms. Chen's example is a demonstration that where you attend your MFA program can really help to build the connections and establish a critical dialogue between the work and the public. She was able to show that the NYC art world can be understanding of what she was doing. And Columbia's location, prestige and still very respectable studio classes despite the issues show that the hierachy of which MFA programs can help you into the NYC/LA/Chicago art markets are intact here.

Hello! I applied to PSU and Otis College. I’m an artist working with food in installation and social practice contexts. 

Curious to if anyone has any scoop on Otis MFA programs, I get a feeling the program will be pricy but the faculty I met with were very supportive and warm. 

Hoping everyone gets into their dream schools and thankful to read through your comments.

4 hours ago, theundoing said:

More very interesting info! Have you heard if this has anything to do with there being a new director? The new director I understand is new since May, with the previous director there since the 90s. That could cause upheaval, even as the new director seems like a very interesting artist and has been there for some time.

But this is great info in terms of knowing what questions to ask, especially trying to iron down what faculty one could expect to be there. And if there are recent changes. But of course, yes, all this could be moot in terms of being offered a spot vs no ???

Post your results (Interview dates, Acceptances, Rejections, Waitlisted) in the RESULTS part of this forum. This is a great way to keep everyone informed!  You can also do your own search according to program and University.

Here is the link https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey  

Grad School Admissions Results for 2006–2021 • thegradcafe.com

or just click on "Results" (top left of your screen). 

This forum has been so helpful for me. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive! 
I have a couple of questions I wanted your opinions on. 
At the end of my MICA interview, the MFA director (who is also an artist) asked me not to contact her about the interview or reach out to her personally. I would like to send a follow up thank you message, and I can send it to the administrator. Should I simply say, “Can you pass along my appreciation for the interview to the director?”. 

Also! I have an interview with Hunter this Saturday. What are some questions you like to ask at the end of your interview? 

2 hours ago, CSElli said:

This forum has been so helpful for me. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive! 
I have a couple of questions I wanted your opinions on. 
At the end of my MICA interview, the MFA director (who is also an artist) asked me not to contact her about the interview or reach out to her personally. I would like to send a follow up thank you message, and I can send it to the administrator. Should I simply say, “Can you pass along my appreciation for the interview to the director?”. 

Also! I have an interview with Hunter this Saturday. What are some questions you like to ask at the end of your interview? 

I would maybe not follow up if they asked not to email a thank you or contact them a thank you. But I’m a bit confused here, was the MFA director seeming standoffish? I get people are busy, but this is like the 4th time someone had an unpleasant interview moment in this year of interviews.

I understand everyone has their own reasons for applying to universities of their choosing, but this to me, from what I’ve seen with everything with MICA, are some huge red flags. I would just really think on it. I know you’ll make the best decision for yourself and why you need from a program (just stating an opinion here). But I’d be really cautious before dropping money on the program.