MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Anyone have any experience interviewing with SAIC? Mine is coming up and I’m hoping to get a bit of insight. 

also did anyone here apply to DMA at UCLA and hear back? 

also haven’t heard back from CMU, but don’t have a rejection letter so idk if that’s a good sign.... 

29 minutes ago, Reida said:

Anyone have any experience interviewing with SAIC? Mine is coming up and I’m hoping to get a bit of insight. 

also haven’t heard back from CMU, but don’t have a rejection letter so idk if that’s a good sign.... 

I am hoping for some direction as well. what program are you applying for?

On 2/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, CheesyClay said:

Hey all, I'm curious what everyone thinks about ranking. I applied to a few top ranked schools for ceramics, and currently I've been accepted into two. But I was also accepted into an unranked program that my gut is telling me is perfect for me (they have a strong program, some notable alumni and a professor I share a lot of research interests with). All of my offers are similar money wise, (some more then others) but I'm just trying to make a decision. How much do you think ranking matters when it comes to schools? 

Right now I'm deciding between Umass Dartmouth, ASU, and OSU. UMD being the school I really vibed with. 

Thanks!

I felt the same way about UMD after my interview! So nice to hear someone else had the same experience. I’ve been accepted into their ceramics program as well. My decision will come down to funding, but I really really enjoyed my interview.

Regarding a highly ranked school vs. not...Someone shared some advice they were given & it resonated with me. They were told to pick a school that’s in a place you could see yourself living in for 2-3 years & a professor that you want to work with. I think that bit about the professor is extra important.

2 hours ago, Reida said:

This may or may not be helpful but one of my professors from SAIC was coaching me on some interview questions and he said “They will be asking you most likely about your conceptual historical relationship with your work” this was in reference to clay, but I 100% got asked that question right off the bat in my last interview. Kind of a tough question. 

I agree! A lot of money spent on applications but Yale was my #1 school because it has great funding from what I’ve heard. I wish I had gotten in this cycle because “we would like you to reapply” on my rejection letter just got me down even more. My fiancé is in medical school and if I had gotten in I would have graduated the same time as him and he’d easily be able to start his residency. I just wish it was a straight up rejection and they hadn’t even mentioned reapplying because that got me down even more LOL. I’ll take my talent elsewhere, sigh! ?

1 minute ago, somethingaboutdslrs said:

I submitted my application on the deadline. What department did you apply to? They might have different timelines. 

Painting! That’s what I was thinking too, it seems that way from other posts here that schools do different departments on slightly different timelines. 

Just had my interview with Parsons which was held with their Director of Grad Studies James Ramer and one of Photography Profs Simone Douglas. It went for a long time- 35 minutes, and I think was quite successful. They asked about conceptual part of my portfolio and asked to speak about several images of my choosing. One of the questions caught me of guard - the political relationship between my subjects and the monochrome style of my work, but I think I was able to spin it. I was quite nervous in the beginning though, so I think my speech at first sounded a bit laboured. But I do hope that overall I did well. 

Still waiting on Tulane, U of Washington, CalArts, USC (UT did not contact me but I am sure it is a rejection)

On 2/1/2021 at 1:06 PM, CheesyClay said:

Hey all, I'm curious what everyone thinks about ranking. I applied to a few top ranked schools for ceramics, and currently I've been accepted into two. But I was also accepted into an unranked program that my gut is telling me is perfect for me (they have a strong program, some notable alumni and a professor I share a lot of research interests with). All of my offers are similar money wise, (some more then others) but I'm just trying to make a decision. How much do you think ranking matters when it comes to schools? 

Right now I'm deciding between Umass Dartmouth, ASU, and OSU. UMD being the school I really vibed with. 

Thanks!

First, congrats!! For what its worth, I believe in always, always trusting your gut! Ranked or not, your grad school experience is what you choose to make of it.

On the notion of vibing/similar interests... Your immediate community(faculty/other grad students) is so important because they're the ones that will be there during all the crits, helping you install a show or load a kiln, or bringing you coffee and readings at 2am. From my experience, professors at unranked schools will often drop everything to help you succeed (whether that means helping you get shows, grants, residencies, etc.) because ultimately, you succeeding makes their program that much better. 

Edited by jp0101

2 hours ago, Painfullywaiting said:

This may or may not be helpful but one of my professors from SAIC was coaching me on some interview questions and he said “They will be asking you most likely about your conceptual historical relationship with your work” this was in reference to clay, but I 100% got asked that question right off the bat in my last interview. Kind of a tough question. 

Like our work in relation to art history? Or our conceptual development through our own work?

35 minutes ago, Painfullywaiting said:

Its a very confusing question that I don’t fully comprehend. I totally butchered it in my interview. Maybe how our practice and concepts relate historically to our medium? 

Care to share any other questions that you remember?

I saw someone already posting about having a painting interview with UCLA - does anyone know about their interdisciplinary studio? I haven't heard anything. I have an interview coming up with SAIC (Photography, but my work is interdisciplinary) and Northwestern ATP, extremely nervous about both. The questions shared here have been really helpful.

Edited by jdsh