6 hours ago, gradcafe2021 said:

I am also wondering the same thing. SIPA is my first choice, but I am still thinking if SIPA would be worth that much. How are really the job prospects for graduates? Can they really get into well-paid jobs in the U.S? I'm an international. 

I am in the same boat. I got accepted for the MPA, but without any funding at all, it's impossible for me to attend even though SIPA is my ideal school. I wonder if the exorbitant price tag is worth it, specially since its unlikely in-person classes, seminars and other opportunities to network will fully resume anytime in the next one year. It appears to me that we'll be paying through our nose for mostly online classes. Also the entire fiasco over visas for international students last summer has me really spooked. 

I'm an international student as well and got admitted into the MPA program but no aid. I've written to them but they've said all aid available is for first year students have been allocated.

I'm going to try again at the end of March. It's just too expensive without any aid. I am waitlisted for Harris MPP

Hi Folks,

Couple of questions/comments and if any of you have answers/responses to this I would truly appreciate a response 

1. For the international students who've been accepted but required to finish a few quant courses, how are you going about it? Are there any websites/portals which offer it or are you approaching local colleges to evaluate you on those subjects 

2. I read a comment which indicated SIPA fees to be around $180-190K, is this speculation or from any confirmed source. The offer letter says they'll get back to us on the fees in a few weeks wondering if someone has already heard back?

3.How does housing at SIPA work? Is it difficult to get a room/dorm allotted? Any idea

4. Is there a Facebook or Whatsapp group for the SIPA admits?

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice on financial aid. SIPA is currently offering me 30k/year and possible TA position in my second year. However, living in Manhattan is exorbitantly expensive and I don't think I will have enough savings to sustain my studies. Do you think I can negotiate another 10k/year from SIPA? I am an int student. Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Ivee said:

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice on financial aid. SIPA is currently offering me 30k/year and possible TA position in my second year. However, living in Manhattan is exorbitantly expensive and I don't think I will have enough savings to sustain my studies. Do you think I can negotiate another 10k/year from SIPA? I am an int student. Many thanks!

From the Student Result tab in this Google Sheet shared on this forum, it seems like SIPA often gives additional aid: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQ73cGtG8IrL0eBCUdCydKUd3hF0MbbTNRDt-X1H06A/edit#gid=1416956162

I'm in the same boat as you, with aid but cost of living factored in makes it even more outrageous. It seems they send out an aid negotiation form to do it in a streamlined manner? Does anyone know?

On 3/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, kickmewhenurdone said:

Is anyone applying to the MPA-ESP program and haven't heard back>?

Just got waitlisted to the MPA-ESP program. If anyone has any info on how many has enrolled, and if anyone is declining the acceptance, it would be greatly appreciated! 

3 hours ago, GradQ said:

Hi Folks,

Couple of questions/comments and if any of you have answers/responses to this I would truly appreciate a response 

1. For the international students who've been accepted but required to finish a few quant courses, how are you going about it? Are there any websites/portals which offer it or are you approaching local colleges to evaluate you on those subjects 

2. I read a comment which indicated SIPA fees to be around $180-190K, is this speculation or from any confirmed source. The offer letter says they'll get back to us on the fees in a few weeks wondering if someone has already heard back?

3.How does housing at SIPA work? Is it difficult to get a room/dorm allotted? Any idea

I can answer on Q2, the 180k-190k is a rough estimate accounting both living expenses and tuition fees. For 180k, it estimates that you will spend ~$1500 on dorms/apartments etc. Of course, if you are able to find cheaper accommodations, you can definitely save some money. But NYC is NYC so I would say 185k is a pretty good benchmark... 

8 hours ago, PartTimeStresser said:

I am in the same boat. I got accepted for the MPA, but without any funding at all, it's impossible for me to attend even though SIPA is my ideal school. I wonder if the exorbitant price tag is worth it, specially since its unlikely in-person classes, seminars and other opportunities to network will fully resume anytime in the next one year. It appears to me that we'll be paying through our nose for mostly online classes. Also the entire fiasco over visas for international students last summer has me really spooked. 

I spoke with an alum recently and he told me he thought SIPA was a 4/10 without funding and a 7/10 with. Talking with him a bit more extensively on Sunday but that’s maybe some food for thought?

24 minutes ago, francophile_1 said:

I spoke with an alum recently and he told me he thought SIPA was a 4/10 without funding and a 7/10 with. Talking with him a bit more extensively on Sunday but that’s maybe some food for thought?

Thanks for the feedback. Why does the funding make it 7/10? What program was he in?

13 hours ago, GradQ said:

Hi Folks,

Hiiii 

International student from Mexico accepted to the MPA-DP, here.

I contacted SIPA regarding this topic and they told me they "do not and cannot endorse any accredited school specifically,” but “US News and World Reports offers a good sample list here as a starting point”: https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/bachelors/rankings

I am currently exploring with Arizona State University and CUNY, I'd be happy to share what I find, I am calling people at ASU tomorrow. 

Also, regarding the credits, I really have no clue which schools are elligible, like I just find this so vague. I will provide the link of the coursework/syllabus to Columbia's Office of Student Affairs, in order to receive their ok and then take the course. 

I can get back to you as soon as I have more info.

:)

Hi Everyone! I also got into SIPA with no funding, and got funding from McCourt (Georgetown) and Duke. Was curious if anyone here applied to the Sanford school MPP at Duke? Don't have a great sense of the program yet so thought I'd ask. It's currently towards the bottom of my list but they gave me a pretty nice scholarship so trying to stay open minded.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, izzywho said:

Hey everyone. I'm interested in the SIPA + LSE dual international program but only applied to SIPA and received $$ in scholarship over two years. How would applying to spend my second year at LSE impact the $$? Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

The website says you pay the tuition of whatever school you're at (see at the bottom of this webpage): https://www.sipa.columbia.edu/academics/dual-degree-programs/international-dual-degrees/sipa-miampa-and-lse-mpa-dual-degree

1 hour ago, GradSchool4213 said:

Hi Everyone! I also got into SIPA with no funding, and got funding from McCourt (Georgetown) and Duke. Was curious if anyone here applied to the Sanford school MPP at Duke? Don't have a great sense of the program yet so thought I'd ask. It's currently towards the bottom of my list but they gave me a pretty nice scholarship so trying to stay open minded.

Sanford is an amazing program for State + Local domestic US politics. They have a really strong community and much lower cost of living than DC. The catch is that you'll be more dependent on the research centers and initiatives to get involved/pad your resume vs. being in DC. However, as a school, they are more career driven than McCourt in terms of culture. 

On 3/17/2021 at 3:40 AM, Ivee said:

I did!

On 3/17/2021 at 3:40 AM, Aveces said:

I got in an received 60k in funding. I’m beyond excited! Crossing fingers for all who are still waiting on their decision and funding!!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:09 AM, mildlyconfusedmar said:

Accepted with 30k/yr fellowship!!!! Super excited! Loved the song :)

On 3/17/2021 at 2:31 PM, Aveces said:

I did. The funding is mentioned in a separate letter at the bottom of the status update

On 3/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Ivee said:

To all the people who got scholarship offers, did you apply for the MPA_ DP program?Please confirm, because It seems that NONE of the MPA DP admits have received any scholarship info-or we are the unluckiest bunch in the pool of applicants lol. 

Hearing sooo many MPA DP candidates specifically gives me some hope- I spoke to a friend and his portal updated two weeks after he received a decision (this is two years back for the regular MPA)- so perhaps in the next 10 days we still might get some updates- fingers crossed. 

4 hours ago, tan1023 said:

To all the people who got scholarship offers, did you apply for the MPA_ DP program?Please confirm, because It seems that NONE of the MPA DP admits have received any scholarship info-or we are the unluckiest bunch in the pool of applicants lol. 

Hearing sooo many MPA DP candidates specifically gives me some hope- I spoke to a friend and his portal updated two weeks after he received a decision (this is two years back for the regular MPA)- so perhaps in the next 10 days we still might get some updates- fingers crossed. 

there was a person here who got into the MPA-DP with funding! 

if you go back to Tuesday 16th messages you'll see it