2 minutes ago, Black_Sesame said:

From everything I've ever seen or heard, SAIS is considered the most serious and legitimate program as its significantly more rigorous and quantitatively driven than SIPA Gtown Tufts or Princeton. SIPA always seemed like more of a school for people who didn't go to Ivy's to get the chance to interview for McKinsey, Accenture, or Deloitte. Within the field of IR, SAIS is a bit more serious, but outside of the field, SIPA or Woody Woo certainly have better name brand and prestige. 

That's what I've heard too but then when I search orgs I'd like to work for on linked in it seems like there's more walsh grads than Nitze. Ugh tough choices. 

Edited by anxiousgradstudent17

1 hour ago, Shantaram said:

I'm in the same position. McCourt at the bottom of my list but gave $27K/yr and SIPA at the top with no funding. I sincerely hope there are more updates that will be posted over the next 24 hours, but at this point it seems really doubtful. Best of luck to you in trying to negotiate for something from SIPA. I'm going to give it my best shot.

What is the approach to negotiation in these situations anyway? Do you just email the school, tell them you're really interested but that another school is offering more $$, and then ask if there's any flexibility on their end to consider funding you? 

1 hour ago, bruyeres said:

So far, accepted to SIPA with no funding (unless things update later) and to McCourt with $27k/year funding. Of the 5 schools I applied to, McCourt was at the bottom of my list, and SIPA was near the top, but am I an idiot for even considering turning down over $50k at a cheaper school? The difference between SIPA with no funding and McCourt with funding is $80k over the two years (tuition and living expenses)

I have met plenty of SIPA grads living the same 65 to 75K post grad job life style as McCourt alums. The big difference is what level of ambition do you have long term. If you are a striver and think the SIPA network + brand will carry you in the long run to fun and innovative careers, then it might be worth betting on yourself (emphasis on met). If you just want to live want to chill and ride the Fed Gov career or Fed Consulting life with some data knowledge in McCourt - McCourt makes sense. Just appreciate that there is little to no ambitious alumni community and your peers at McCourt won't really support your career goals (I knew people who try to hide going to certain jobs because they were afraid of the negative reaction for "selling out"). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

2 hours ago, bruyeres said:

So far, accepted to SIPA with no funding (unless things update later) and to McCourt with $27k/year funding. Of the 5 schools I applied to, McCourt was at the bottom of my list, and SIPA was near the top, but am I an idiot for even considering turning down over $50k at a cheaper school? The difference between SIPA with no funding and McCourt with funding is $80k over the two years (tuition and living expenses)

Would you mind telling me why McCourt was at the bottom of your list? I got in too (for the MPP, with great funding) and would love to hear why it may not be all that

6 minutes ago, ya711 said:

Would you mind telling me why McCourt was at the bottom of your list? I got in too (for the MPP, with great funding) and would love to hear why it may not be all that

I wrote about it at length previously.

1 hour ago, R_391 said:

I have Georgetown with $13.5k funding. and no funding at SIPA. Waiting on HKS, but again, that is a long shot given SIPA gave no funding. Do you think Georgetown is good tho? One grad here keeps pushing that option down

If it is $13.5K for 2 years, you might as well apply next year when the competition is expected to be less.

If it is $13.5K for each year, I would say the same.

The big exceptions to the recommendations is if you want to get into:

a. Federal Consulting

b. Data focused jobs

c. Capital Hill

and maybe a few niche things here and there... but not really much else. 

P.S. Still waiting for a McCourt student/alum to shoot down my points. Lack of disagreement speaks for itself. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

47 minutes ago, bruyeres said:

What is the approach to negotiation in these situations anyway? Do you just email the school, tell them you're really interested but that another school is offering more $$, and then ask if there's any flexibility on their end to consider funding you? 

Correct... Make your case about 

a. the latest things you done since application to highlight your value to the program

b. leverage other funding you have (it can't hurt, but doesn't always help either). 

4 hours ago, prospectivegrad2020 said:

Actually, I was offered 60k in funding AND conditional admissions saying I need to take calc or econ lol

Did it appear the first time or did you log out and then log in as some people are saying?

I got accepted Early Decision for the MPA-DP, and haven't received any update on funding- does that mean I didn't get any? I really hope the scholarship offers come in waves :( . Someone please confirm or deny this- I have been living in blind optimism waiting for the day scholarship offers come out man :( 

I thought I had a pretty competitive profile and SIPA was most definitely my first choice, I don't think I will be able to attend without aid!

1 hour ago, Cucumbre said:

I got accepted to MPA SIPA and LSE, now i really dont know what to choose?

anyone have compared those two programs?

You heard back from LSE? When did you apply? I applied around Jan 12th, or so, and haven't heard back since. 

Anyone with experience/ has done some research in comparing HKS MPP vs. SIPA MPA? I got in SIPA with very generous funding (I am aware how privileged the choice I have to make is) but is HKS —possibly on less aid than SIPA— still make sense? Or am I crazy for considering shutting HKS down, and go for SIPA?

Edited by 2021mpamppwait

1 hour ago, tan1023 said:

I got accepted Early Decision for the MPA-DP, and haven't received any update on funding- does that mean I didn't get any? I really hope the scholarship offers come in waves :( . Someone please confirm or deny this- I have been living in blind optimism waiting for the day scholarship offers come out man :( 

I thought I had a pretty competitive profile and SIPA was most definitely my first choice, I don't think I will be able to attend without aid!

Same boat as you, SIPA was my first choice, tho now I will probably take up Fletcher MALD if I dont hear from them. I have actually written to them asking about financial aid.

I dont think many of the MPA-DP have heard about fin aid, so really hoping they send something 

12 minutes ago, RD0502 said:

Quick q - any international students who received $$ funding from SIPA along with the admission announcement?

I did. The funding is mentioned in a separate letter at the bottom of the status update

Does anyone know what happens to the financial aid of people who turn down the offer? Does it get redistributed to other admitted students?

I didn't end up recieving any updates on my account so it looks like I didn't get any aid, but without it SIPA is sooo expensive ?

13 hours ago, burnt_toast said:

Alrighty then! I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that I got a conditional acceptance because still I need to take the Econ prereqs. Pretty disappointing they would just dismiss people like me for funding even if we have a really strong backgrounds and work experience. I would have thought the financial offer would just be conditional as with the acceptance. Oh well, one less school to consider I guess! 

13 hours ago, prospectivegrad2020 said:

Actually, I was offered 60k in funding AND conditional admissions saying I need to take calc or econ lol

13 hours ago, g_9525 said:

Admitted with a conditional offer! I honestly expected a rejection, but if I got admitted I kind of expected this because my quant experience is a little all over the place (took applied econ, natural sciences courses, statistics, some research methods in poli sci) so I just need to prove I can pass a basic calc or econ course before the term starts. Not a deal-breaker, just a consideration as I look at all my options!

Also no funding attached, which is tough. I do have some external funding but I'll definitely be waiting on that aid offer. Best of luck to everyone on your next steps!

Hi guys, I also got accepted with the conditional offer. Apparently, the quant background that I provided is not adequate for them (tho I think my quant background is quite strong ? Have anyone clarified any requirements for the courses they required (like do they have to be from US institutions)? I have checked some online courses with graded scores, it can cost up to $2K. Personally, that is quite costly for a prerequisite for me (considering that I already got accepted in Harris UChicago). Do you guys have any resource on the academic institution that provides Calculus/Econ classes with cheaper price? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

And yes, does anyone have any information on the result of International Fellows Program? I applied to this program, but no news on the decision so far (also got no information on the funding ?). Is that possible that they will release the IFP decision separately? I'm pretty curious on this and planning to email the IFP coordinator if there is no update within these two days ✌️

10 hours ago, bruyeres said:

Hi, sounds good. Maybe just write a bit more about what specifically you're looking for in SIPA. SIPA has increased aid of students in the past so definitely worth the shot.

10 hours ago, Cucumbre said:

I got accepted to MPA SIPA and LSE, now i really dont know what to choose?

anyone have compared those two programs?

Hey, I think both programs are really strong and for me, an Indian, LSE made more sense given the costs and work permit upon graduation in the UK. Though overall I have heard that LSE and UK pedagogy is too diadactic. You might want to research about that. All the best :)