For people who received money, did it specify what it was? For example, a specific fellowship/scholarship etc.? I applied to the International Fellows Program, and so curious about whether those have been released or whether it's just the SIPA only funding

Hi, I'm a little confused and maybe it's too late to be asking this. I applied to SAIS and got 30k in Financial Aid, but my real goal was to return to my Alma mater at Columbia and stay in the city I live in and love. 

Maybe I misunderstood what the fellowship deadline was, as I skipped it to have more time to better work on my application (although I submitted my fafsa before then), did that disqualify me from scholarship as well by not applying then? I'm at a heartbroken loss. I have no idea what to do as I'd emailed Columbia multiple times to ask about this and they'd dodged me. 

1 minute ago, Floating_Bee said:

That's huge! Congratulations! Did you previously have nothing but the offer in your portal? AKA is there still hope for an update if we currently have nothing?

Thank you! I received an email about an "update" and found the offer letter in the portal.

Just now, Jackrowe said:

Congratulations! I didn’t receive an email, I wonder does that mean I didn’t get accepted. Ouch.

From what people have said, you should receive an email with *something*. Fingers crossed for you!

5 minutes ago, burnt_toast said:

Alrighty then! I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that I got a conditional acceptance because still I need to take the Econ prereqs. Pretty disappointing they would just dismiss people like me for funding even if we have a really strong backgrounds and work experience. I would have thought the financial offer would just be conditional as with the acceptance. Oh well, one less school to consider I guess! 

Actually, I was offered 60k in funding AND conditional admissions saying I need to take calc or econ lol

I was an Early Admit back in December and received an email “Your Decision is Ready to be Viewed Online”. I checked my portal and had a new letter added offering $20k/yr for a total of $40k/yr for the degree! I’m very excited because the process for scholarship consideration was so confusing for early admits, given that some were offered funding back in December. I also applied for the International Fellows Program but didn’t hear back anything specific from them. Still waiting to hear back from my top choice, the dual degree with Sciences Po! 

Admitted with a conditional offer! I honestly expected a rejection, but if I got admitted I kind of expected this because my quant experience is a little all over the place (took applied econ, natural sciences courses, statistics, some research methods in poli sci) so I just need to prove I can pass a basic calc or econ course before the term starts. Not a deal-breaker, just a consideration as I look at all my options!

Also no funding attached, which is tough. I do have some external funding but I'll definitely be waiting on that aid offer. Best of luck to everyone on your next steps!

14 minutes ago, prospectivegrad2020 said:

Actually, I was offered 60k in funding AND conditional admissions saying I need to take calc or econ lol

That's amazing! Congratulations on that. Wondering if that came from scholarship or fellowship? I'm confused and disoriented as to why I wasn't offered anything. 

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted and/or received funding! It's an awesome feeling to be sure and you all should be proud.

I was an early action acceptance for USP but haven't received any updates on financial aid. Anyone else in the same boat? SIPA has been my top choice for a while now so it would be really discouraging to not get any funding. 

57 minutes ago, burnt_toast said:

Alrighty then! I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that I got a conditional acceptance because still I need to take the Econ prereqs. Pretty disappointing they would just dismiss people like me for funding even if we have a really strong backgrounds and work experience. I would have thought the financial offer would just be conditional as with the acceptance. Oh well, one less school to consider I guess! 

Same boat as you. No funding for me. Big bummer seeing as my partner is based in the NYC area so my cost of living would be low. I got some $$ from a few other schools and wonder if they’re open to negotiating at all?

5 minutes ago, francophile_1 said:

Same boat as you. No funding for me. Big bummer seeing as my partner is based in the NYC area so my cost of living would be low. I got some $$ from a few other schools and wonder if they’re open to negotiating at all?

I would definitely email — worst thing they can do is say no. Although, I will say that I did email them with a competing offer (100% tuition from another school) and they said  "We understand the challenges that students face in financing their studies. Our resources to assist are limited, and the awards we can offer to first-year students are very competitive. At this time, all funds we have to offer first-year entering students have been committed," soooo it's not looking good for me hahah.

Just now, user188404 said:

I would definitely email — worst thing they can do is say no. Although, I will say that I did email them with a competing offer (100% tuition from another school) and they said  "We understand the challenges that students face in financing their studies. Our resources to assist are limited, and the awards we can offer to first-year students are very competitive. At this time, all funds we have to offer first-year entering students have been committed," soooo it's not looking good for me hahah.

I feel like it might be worth re-emailing them later this week after all of the admit craziness is over ?

9 minutes ago, Shantaram said:

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted and/or received funding! It's an awesome feeling to be sure and you all should be proud.

I was an early action acceptance for USP but haven't received any updates on financial aid. Anyone else in the same boat? SIPA has been my top choice for a while now so it would be really discouraging to not get any funding. 

It's exactly the same for me. I was really hoping to get atleast something. ?

Ladies and gentlemen, I do not know if we are allowed to curse in this fine forum, but I presented a shitty GRE, and I just got a conditional admission to the MPA-DP!!!

I have to take a Calculus course in order to get the final admission, but easy peasy!!! 

No news on financial aid so far, tho