Fall 2021 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD/MS

SCIOPsych

17 hours ago, Mason1987 said:

Has anyone heard back from George Mason, Portland State, or University of Oklahoma?

Also Please if anyone got an offer from Xavier and not planning to attend, plz plz plz decline their offer. 

I just heard back (rejected) from George Mason last week (for PhD) - email to look at their decision in the portal. 

Hi all, 

Please let me know if there is a "chance me" thread for IO psych already, I couldn't find one so I thought I'd try here. 

I am a 23 year old who graduated from a well-known R1 university in 2019 with a BS in Psychology, and am now working at an even more prominent R1 as a research assistant in clinical psychology. For the past 2.5 years I've had the intention of applying to PhD programs for clinical, however as that has neared closer, I've realized that I don't think I am someone who should get a PhD. I like research, but I don't necessarily want work for a university/be tenure track; I also don't think I am as interested in studying clinical populations as I thought I was. As such, I am most heavily considering Master's programs, as I do not think I am someone who needs a PhD to be happy/feel successful, and from my limited knowledge a Master's seems as though it can provide adequate financial support.

About me: Academically, I had a rough first 2 years of undergrad. I came in thinking I knew what I wanted to do, and quickly realized I did not. While everyone around me seemed to love and fit perfectly into what they were studying, it became that much harder to focus on schoolwork and find my passion. I haven't yet decided how I will be framing this in my personal statement's but I am aware of the things to avoid (i.e., mental health difficulties and other clichés); and I do have a solid upward trajectory I can point to. Once I started studying psychology and joined a cognitive neuro lab I was in, things turned around completely. Though, as a result of the more-than-rocky start, my cumulative gpa is a 3.15, and major (psych) gpa is 3.66. In my last 60 credits (2 years) my overall gpa is a 3.76 and psych gpa in that same time frame is a 3.88. I also completed a post-bacc program at a prestigious R1, consisting of 4 classes and got a 4.0. 

In my current post-bacc lab, I am co-author on 2 published papers and will hopefully have a first authored paper by fall. I have my name on a couple posters as well. I have 2 strong letters of rec and am working on securing a third.

My main worry with applying to masters programs is that 1) my cum. gpa is on the low end, and 2) my research background, while strong, is in cognitive/clinical psych, not in I/O psychology. My desire is to continue to use my data analysis skills (coding in R/SPSS/Matlab) in whatever program I pursue, and in my future career as well. 

Any thoughts on my chances of getting into a top MA/MS program, areas to improve before application season, etc. are much appreciated. Apologies for the long-windedness.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, Mason1987 said:

Has anyone heard back from George Mason, Portland State, or University of Oklahoma?

Also Please if anyone got an offer from Xavier and not planning to attend, plz plz plz decline their offer. 

I declined my offer to Xavier.

8 hours ago, psychguy2022 said:

Hi all, 

Please let me know if there is a "chance me" thread for IO psych already, I couldn't find one so I thought I'd try here. 

I am a 23 year old who graduated from a well-known R1 university in 2019 with a BS in Psychology, and am now working at an even more prominent R1 as a research assistant in clinical psychology. For the past 2.5 years I've had the intention of applying to PhD programs for clinical, however as that has neared closer, I've realized that I don't think I am someone who should get a PhD. I like research, but I don't necessarily want work for a university/be tenure track; I also don't think I am as interested in studying clinical populations as I thought I was. As such, I am most heavily considering Master's programs, as I do not think I am someone who needs a PhD to be happy/feel successful, and from my limited knowledge a Master's seems as though it can provide adequate financial support.

About me: Academically, I had a rough first 2 years of undergrad. I came in thinking I knew what I wanted to do, and quickly realized I did not. While everyone around me seemed to love and fit perfectly into what they were studying, it became that much harder to focus on schoolwork and find my passion. I haven't yet decided how I will be framing this in my personal statement's but I am aware of the things to avoid (i.e., mental health difficulties and other clichés); and I do have a solid upward trajectory I can point to. Once I started studying psychology and joined a cognitive neuro lab I was in, things turned around completely. Though, as a result of the more-than-rocky start, my cumulative gpa is a 3.15, and major (psych) gpa is 3.66. In my last 60 credits (2 years) my overall gpa is a 3.76 and psych gpa in that same time frame is a 3.88. I also completed a post-bacc program at a prestigious R1, consisting of 4 classes and got a 4.0. 

In my current post-bacc lab, I am co-author on 2 published papers and will hopefully have a first authored paper by fall. I have my name on a couple posters as well. I have 2 strong letters of rec and am working on securing a third.

My main worry with applying to masters programs is that 1) my cum. gpa is on the low end, and 2) my research background, while strong, is in cognitive/clinical psych, not in I/O psychology. My desire is to continue to use my data analysis skills (coding in R/SPSS/Matlab) in whatever program I pursue, and in my future career as well. 

Any thoughts on my chances of getting into a top MA/MS program, areas to improve before application season, etc. are much appreciated. Apologies for the long-windedness.

I think that you have a strong background for solid master's programs, maybe even some mid-range PhD programs depending on the rest of your application. I wouldn't worry about not having I/O relevant research experience, since most schools know that is difficult to come by. Your 2 co-authors more than makes up for that.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, Mason1987 said:

I haven't heard from PSU yet, but I heard back from GMU a couple weeks ago. I was rejected to their PhD program, however I was offered a spot in their MA program with zero funding. I ultimately turned it down for a PhD program @ FIT.

• 3 weeks later...