Fall 2021 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD/MS

SCIOPsych

4 hours ago, Student.uni said:

There are four universities from which I haven't heard back, should I just assume rejection?

I haven't heard from 8 programs yet, but I am pretty much expecting rejections from them. The exception being GMU, since I checked a box indicating that I wanted to be considered for the masters program there. 

I am just going to play it safe and assume the worst for those schools. Regardless, I won't be making any decisions until closer to the April 15th deadline.

Hey Folks! Best of luck to everyone out there; it's been a stressful season waiting to hear back from schools. 

It seems that University of Minnesota has been quiet so far - wondering if anyone has heard anything from them? 

To the person who posted about being waitlisted from Wayne state, may I ask if you received an email from your PI or the department? 

I emailed Wayne state to check my app status and they said I should expect to hear back sometime next week. 

I just see one waitlist post so I am wondering if anyone else heard back from them yet. 

Thanks!

Hey! Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far and also good luck to everyone waiting I'm sure offers are coming soon! I had a question because I'm less familiar with the process for US schools coming from Canada. Here, some Canadian Uni's give shorter deadlines for giving our answer (i.e. three weeks from letter) but some say April 15th. I noticed in the US April 15th also seems to be the popular decision day. Is the April 15th date a hard, set deadline in the States? I'm only now waiting for one US school's reply to make my decision and I was trying to gauge when is the latest I could potentially hear back. Thanks to anyone who has any insight on this and good luck to everyone :) 

Hello! Did anyone that applied to SFSU get a request to go through a one way interview? I also applied to SJSU but I’m assuming nobody has heard anything from them yet. Do let me know if I’m wrong though! ☺️

On 2/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, mfruto1 said:

I applied to SDSU, CSULB, SJSU, Xavier, U-Waterloo, Minnesota State, Mankato, and George Mason. I got rejected to U-Waterloo and I had an interview at SDSU. Still waiting on the rest of my results. SDSU and SJSU are def my top choices as I'm currently located in California and program funding. How about you?

SDSU has already sent or started sending out letters for people who they’ve accepted. Hopefully you hear back soon if you haven’t already~

1 hour ago, Nonya said:

SDSU has already sent or started sending out letters for people who they’ve accepted. Hopefully you hear back soon if you haven’t already~

I got waitlisted to SDSU :/. Still being hopeful though. It was a very competitive cycle, especially for a Master's program. 

3 hours ago, OrgPsy said:

Hey! Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far and also good luck to everyone waiting I'm sure offers are coming soon! I had a question because I'm less familiar with the process for US schools coming from Canada. Here, some Canadian Uni's give shorter deadlines for giving our answer (i.e. three weeks from letter) but some say April 15th. I noticed in the US April 15th also seems to be the popular decision day. Is the April 15th date a hard, set deadline in the States? I'm only now waiting for one US school's reply to make my decision and I was trying to gauge when is the latest I could potentially hear back. Thanks to anyone who has any insight on this and good luck to everyone :) 

Hey, so this is my first application cycle, but it's my understanding that April 15th is standard for most programs here in the US. I am not sure if that is correlated to April 15th also being "Tax day" in the US or not, but that seems to just be the norm here. I haven't heard of too many schools requesting a decision made after April 15th, but I hope that helps answer your question!

Hi all -- congrats to everyone who has gotten in already! 

I applied to MSIO programs this cycle. 
So far I've had a one-way interview with sfsu. 
I'm assuming I've gotten rejected from sdsu as I haven't heard anything from them (but people here have gotten accepted/waitlisted). 
Has anyone heard anything from sjsu, csulb, or csusb yet? 

53 minutes ago, io_psych said:

I'm assuming I've gotten rejected from sdsu as I haven't heard anything from them (but people here have gotten accepted/waitlisted). 

I’ve also had a one-way interview for SFSU but haven’t heard anything from SJSU yet. I’ve heard of both informing students mid March - early April so we may have to hold out for another week or two. 

18 hours ago, io_psych said:

CSULB sent out the official letter to me last night, I heard from them this Monday at the start of the month if that helps.

Hi everyone:) 

I applied to Master's programs this cycle - SDSU, CSULB, SJSU, SFSU, USC, UT Arlington, and George Mason. I had interviews at SFSU and UTA, and have been accepted at UTA and George Mason so far. Haven't heard a thing from the rest (rejection is very likely from SDSU, maybe CSULB as well).

Basically, I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to go anywhere besides GM-- everything I read seems to reinforce that it's an amazing program. I would get in-state tuition at the California schools, so I'm hoping at least one accepts me for financial reasons, but GM seems to have so many opportunities & I think it's a really exciting option. If anyone has opinions on GM, I'm all ears!!

27 minutes ago, psychologia said:

Hi everyone:) 

I applied to Master's programs this cycle - SDSU, CSULB, SJSU, SFSU, USC, UT Arlington, and George Mason. I had interviews at SFSU and UTA, and have been accepted at UTA and George Mason so far. Haven't heard a thing from the rest (rejection is very likely from SDSU, maybe CSULB as well).

Basically, I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to go anywhere besides GM-- everything I read seems to reinforce that it's an amazing program. I would get in-state tuition at the California schools, so I'm hoping at least one accepts me for financial reasons, but GM seems to have so many opportunities & I think it's a really exciting option. If anyone has opinions on GM, I'm all ears!!

The opportunities at GMU are phenomenal. I applied to PhD programs this cycle, however I was also considering accepting a master's position there. I understand that the PhD students & MS students take courses together, so the training is really good. Plus, you are near DC which is great for IO. 

Would you receive any funding at GMU? I think it depends where you want to work as well, but I would most likely take the GMU position since the program is widely recognized in the IO community and I don't really know much about UTA or some of the other California schools. 

On 3/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, Nonya said:

Hello! Did anyone that applied to SFSU get a request to go through a one way interview? I also applied to SJSU but I’m assuming nobody has heard anything from them yet. Do let me know if I’m wrong though! ☺️

Hi! I applied to SFSU and SJSU. I got a request from SFSU to interview on the 19th of Feb and I'm waiting to hear anything from SJSU. The angst is killing me since they said we should hear back by mid-March... and mid-March is so close ? how about you?

2 hours ago, psychev said:

Hi! I applied to SFSU and SJSU. I got a request from SFSU to interview on the 19th of Feb and I'm waiting to hear anything from SJSU. The angst is killing me since they said we should hear back by mid-March... and mid-March is so close ? how about you?

I’m definitely feeling angsty. Whether I get rejected or accepted, I just want to hear back soon ??

I just got rejected from CSULB's I/O psych program. still waiting on SDSU, CSUSB and SJSU.  I feel like I am not gonna get into SDSU either given that I never got an interview invite( I didn't even know they do interviews until I read about it in the forum).

DO all of you applying to I/O Psych programs have research experiences? I didn't have any research experience but I thought since I am applying for the MS I/O psych program, research experience is not as important... I went to UC Irvine for my undergrad, majored in psych and have a decent GPA, and have been working as a behavioral therapist for the past two years.  

Has anyone heard back from CSUSB yet?  OR anyone applied/got accepted to CSUSB can share their experience with the application process and with the program ? 

5 hours ago, Mandable said:

I just got rejected from CSULB's I/O psych program. still waiting on SDSU, CSUSB and SJSU.  I feel like I am not gonna get into SDSU either given that I never got an interview invite( I didn't even know they do interviews until I read about it in the forum).

DO all of you applying to I/O Psych programs have research experiences? I didn't have any research experience but I thought since I am applying for the MS I/O psych program, research experience is not as important... I went to UC Irvine for my undergrad, majored in psych and have a decent GPA, and have been working as a behavioral therapist for the past two years.  

Has anyone heard back from CSUSB yet?  OR anyone applied/got accepted to CSUSB can share their experience with the application process and with the program ? 

Hi! I have research experience from my undergrad years and a year of HR experience during the gap year I took. I know a friend that got accepted into SDSU and someone in the forums was notified they were on the waitlist. As for SJSU I haven’t heard anything at all and I haven’t read anything from others that suggest otherwise. 

I hope we all hear from the CSUs next week, though I’ve heard of some not notifying until early April. ?

4 hours ago, Nonya said:

Hi! I have research experience from my undergrad years and a year of HR experience during the gap year I took. I know a friend that got accepted into SDSU and someone in the forums was notified they were on the waitlist. As for SJSU I haven’t heard anything at all and I haven’t read anything from others that suggest otherwise. 

I hope we all hear from the CSUs next week, though I’ve heard of some not notifying until early April. ?

Thank you for sharing. Yeah, hopefully we all hear back from the CSUs soon, Do you mind telling me what schools have you gotten into so far? 

thank you

8 hours ago, Mandable said:

Thank you for sharing. Yeah, hopefully we all hear back from the CSUs soon, Do you mind telling me what schools have you gotten into so far? 

thank you

I only applied to SJSU and SFSU and I haven’t heard back from either. I took the chance to apply since they didn’t require the GRE, otherwise I may have continued working or looked into getting a certificate from SHRM instead. 

13 minutes ago, VirtualGrad said:

Hi everyone! I wish I had found this forum a little earlier in the process! Has anyone heard from George Mason's Ph.D. program? I tried reaching out but had no success and I'm anxious to make my final decision....

I  havent heard from  them either. Who did you reach out to if I may ask -- PI or Admissions? 

17 minutes ago, VirtualGrad said:

Hi everyone! I wish I had found this forum a little earlier in the process! Has anyone heard from George Mason's Ph.D. program? I tried reaching out but had no success and I'm anxious to make my final decision....

I first emailed the admissions, they told me to reach out directly to the PI. I emailed the PI three times in the past month, just got a response from him two days ago. I was told that I am not on their waitlist, so basically rejected...

17 minutes ago, Student.uni said:

I first emailed the admissions, they told me to reach out directly to the PI. I emailed the PI three times in the past month, just got a response from him two days ago. I was told that I am not on their waitlist, so basically rejected...

Thank you for the advice! I just reached out. With a little less than a month left until April 15th, I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything left on the table!

51 minutes ago, Student.uni said:

Do you guys have any news from the PhD of Florida International U and U of Minnesota? I tried reaching out to the PIs a couple of times but didn't get a response.

I reached out to UMN this week to ask about timing for their decisions - it seems that nobody has heard from them yet. No word from their department yet but I will circle back if I hear anything.