What is the average number of PhD programs people apply to?

StarkDark1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, icemanyeo said:given that my master's degree is policy oriented, but I decided not to stress about it. 

I just noticed this, but wanted to share some solidarity as my master is also in public policy! My professors said it really shouldn’t put me (and I would assume that applies to you as well) at a disadvantage, particularly depending on the subfield(s) of interest. 

2 hours ago, BrownSugar said:

I just noticed this, but wanted to share some solidarity as my master is also in public policy! My professors said it really shouldn’t put me (and I would assume that applies to you as well) at a disadvantage, particularly depending on the subfield(s) of interest. 

Thank you for sharing! I'm really hoping that's the case -- most of my masters work is focused on global governance policies and I applied to CP/IR whenever two major subfields were possible so I'm staying hopeful this works out.

Edited by icemanyeo

10 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Thank you for sharing! I'm really hoping that's the case -- most of my master's work is focused on global governance policies and I applied to CP/IR whenever two major subfields were possible so I'm staying hopeful this works out.

I applied for CP/AP so we are in similar boats. Good luck!! 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, icemanyeo said:

I've been wondering if I should apply to some MAs like CIR this year as well given that my master's degree is policy oriented, but I decided not to stress about it. 

I and some friends got admitted to some schools after an MPP or an MPA last year, I definitely don't think a policy-oriented master's degree plays against you!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to 17 polisci programs - 4 Californian, 2 southern, 3 in the UK and the rest in northeast US. I don't think any of them are safe but most were recommended by my advisors and I am eying that one admit that will make it worth it. Although I definitely do not recommend applying to so many schools, its was probably way overboard...

Just now, AmiadHD said:

I applied to 17 polisci programs - 4 Californian, 2 southern, 3 in the UK and the rest in northeast US. I don't think any of them are safe but most were recommended by my advisors and I am eying that one admit that will make it worth it. Although I definitely do not recommend applying to so many schools, its was probably way overboard...

That is a lot, wow! I only applied to 8..... 7 in the USA and 1 in Canada. I probably would have applied to more but it gets $$$$ 

9 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

I only applied to 8..... 7 in the USA and 1 in Canada. I probably would have applied to more but it gets $$$$ 

We basically did the same thing haha

13 minutes ago, AmiadHD said:

I think at least 6 is a good number, 12 would be my personal maximum. Past that, depending on how many schools you end up receiving an offer from, it gets overwhelming to choose the one admit offer you accept, I think.

11 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

We basically did the same thing haha

Haha I know! I'm excited to see where you (and everyone else) gets in. The solidarity from this online community has helped to keep me (somewhat) sane during this waiting period. lol

10 hours ago, AmiadHD said:

I did the same thing and feel the same way. I think I feel a bit less stressed as a result, but I'm not convinced there's a difference in that regard above 12 or so schools. And application fees add up quickly...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, uname_suggests_rdumb said:

I applied to reach/impossible schools only in this climate, bravery (read stupidity). 

I applied to 6 US PhDs, 2 US MPPs, 3 UK MPhils, and am looking for a job.

I question my choices lol...

if you don't mind sharing, which UK MPhils did you apply to this cycle?

2 minutes ago, uname_suggests_rdumb said:

HKS and GSPP. 

This is not intentional. I washalf-way applying to match and safe MPP programs when something in life happened and I missed all the deadlines and yadiyadiyada. 

wait isn't HKS US-based? I meant the UK MPhil programs haha

Just now, AnxiousBeaver said:

omg forgive me I just joined grad cafe not too long ago lol. still cant tell what topic is what ?

No worries! Scroll to the top to where you can see the title and it usually says "in x (x = political science for example)" next to the username of the original poster of the thread

1 minute ago, AnxiousBeaver said:

omg forgive me I just joined grad cafe not too long ago lol. still cant tell what topic is what ?

Btw congratulations on all those acceptances! Good luck wherever you end up ❤️