Interview Attire in the Zoom Era

phdhopeful96

Hey guys! Now that invites are starting to roll in, I'm wondering what everyone is thinking about wearing for Zoom interviews? 

I'm personally thinking about non-clinical track programs (as I have heard in the past those tend to be a little more formal), and female since our dress code interpretations can vary so so much! Do we think a nice cardigan/white shirt is nice enough since we will really only be seen chest up?

Thanks all!

I’m interviewing for clinical and counseling programs, and I am planning to wear a blazer and slacks. My main tips would be to assess how your planned shirt color appears on camera with your skin tone - I’m not pale, but black shirts make me look like a featureless ghost on camera, especially in full daylight. Also, wear pants! I’ve heard some horror stories of people being forced to get up (maybe they spill their coffee, or the interviewers encourage everyone to get up and stretch) and reveal they are not wearing pants. 

I’d recommend formal attire — but also watch for whether they give any clues in the invite/the invites to specific events. Personally, I’m really hoping that programs match interviewees with current students (as they would with a homestay). When I interviewed last year the students I stayed with were so helpful in resolving any concerns I had about how formal/not to dress for specific events. I also learned much more about the programs that way that I ever would have otherwise.

As far as showing up well on camera goes, I’ve actually done a fair bit of reading on this just for classes and teaching ? Some recommend wearing solid colors, as cameras generally render them in a way that’s more flattering than patterns. Additionally, I would try to get the lighting right. Setting up your camera so that you’re facing a window is a good, low-cost way to do this. You can also get one of those lighting rings. Basically, you want the light to hit you square in the face rather than raking across it (side lighting) or lighting you from behind (backlighting). You can also put a pillow behind your back so that you naturally lean forward a little. It makes you look more engaged and focuses the camera more on your face than your body. I’ve also noticed that leaning forward has a slimming effect if that’s something you care about. Leaning back does the opposite, and puts more camera emphasis on your chest. I think it goes without saying to make sure your background is clean/presentable. 

Anyways, my compulsive need to research everything I do aside, good luck on your interviews! I’m sure you’ll be great ? 

On 1/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, phdhopeful96 said:

Hey guys! Now that invites are starting to roll in, I'm wondering what everyone is thinking about wearing for Zoom interviews? 

I'm personally thinking about non-clinical track programs (as I have heard in the past those tend to be a little more formal), and female since our dress code interpretations can vary so so much! Do we think a nice cardigan/white shirt is nice enough since we will really only be seen chest up?

Thanks all!

I was going to do a maroon, informal blazer that's basically a cardigan with lapels with a nice white shirt. I typically wear this with a skirt or black jeans for conferences and it looks nice without looking stuffy (caveat: I'm on the West coast, I think dress codes are more chill here). 

On 1/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, amazingbutternutsquash said:

I’d recommend formal attire — but also watch for whether they give any clues in the invite/the invites to specific events. Personally, I’m really hoping that programs match interviewees with current students (as they would with a homestay). When I interviewed last year the students I stayed with were so helpful in resolving any concerns I had about how formal/not to dress for specific events. I also learned much more about the programs that way that I ever would have otherwise.

As far as showing up well on camera goes, I’ve actually done a fair bit of reading on this just for classes and teaching ? Some recommend wearing solid colors, as cameras generally render them in a way that’s more flattering than patterns. Additionally, I would try to get the lighting right. Setting up your camera so that you’re facing a window is a good, low-cost way to do this. You can also get one of those lighting rings. Basically, you want the light to hit you square in the face rather than raking across it (side lighting) or lighting you from behind (backlighting). You can also put a pillow behind your back so that you naturally lean forward a little. It makes you look more engaged and focuses the camera more on your face than your body. I’ve also noticed that leaning forward has a slimming effect if that’s something you care about. Leaning back does the opposite, and puts more camera emphasis on your chest. I think it goes without saying to make sure your background is clean/presentable. 

Anyways, my compulsive need to research everything I do aside, good luck on your interviews! I’m sure you’ll be great ? 

Wow, thanks for the lighting tips! I'll have to rearrange my office (I'm terribly backlit). How much do you think that all matters, or is it just creating the appearance that we're put together haha? 

So I just had my first interview day today, and I really saw a variety of everything. For the group sessions, it was a combination of pretty much every program in the department except for Clinical and I saw women with blazers, sweaters, cardigans, and nice blouses, and men with anything from hoodies to suits (at least one of the faculty was even in a hoodie!). One piece of attire really didn't differ from another since we only saw such a small part, I really only think I noticed at all because I was looking so hard. I would say just look put together and wear something you feel like you can be comfortable and confident in! 

In terms of lighting, I would try your best to have good lighting but worst case you can throw on a professional looking virtual background - I saw that from students and faculty as well.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by phdhopeful96

I was suggested that women should be wearing a blazer and men should be wearing a button down shirt with a tie, and possibly a jacket as well. Some schools may not be as strict with this, but I was told by someone who is about to conduct interviews for students applying to the PhD program at their school that this is how they would want interviewees to dress. I am a little surprised at the above commenter who said in their interviews people were wearing hoodies, as according to the person I have spoken to that would automatically make the applicant look bad, but again, different schools, different faculty, different expectations. I would be much more afraid to underdress than to overdress... definitely better to go full business professional than possibly being too casual. 

4 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

I was suggested that women should be wearing a blazer and men should be wearing a button down shirt with a tie, and possibly a jacket as well. Some schools may not be as strict with this, but I was told by someone who is about to conduct interviews for students applying to the PhD program at their school that this is how they would want interviewees to dress. I am a little surprised at the above commenter who said in their interviews people were wearing hoodies, as according to the person I have spoken to that would automatically make the applicant look bad, but again, different schools, different faculty, different expectations. I would be much more afraid to underdress than to overdress... definitely better to go full business professional than possibly being too casual. 

I agree with you on preferring to be overdressed than underdressed. Because of that I wore a blazer and blouse. Although in my interviews, one prof was wearing a t-shirt and in another the prof was wearing a Patagonia sweater... lol. 

Edit: these were 1-1 interviews, not department/program interview days

Edited by UroboroS

14 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

Regarding the bolded, they mentioned that clinical wasn't involved in the interview. Clinical psych is usually much more formal than other subfields and departments, so that may be the discrepancy. 

Also, east coast seems to be more formal than west coast. I'm on the east coast, and we expect people dressed in appropriate full business attire: you cannot go wrong with a suit-men or women. 

2 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Regarding the bolded, they mentioned that clinical wasn't involved in the interview. Clinical psych is usually much more formal than other subfields and departments, so that may be the discrepancy. 

Also, east coast seems to be more formal than west coast. I'm on the east coast, and we expect people dressed in appropriate full business attire: you cannot go wrong with a suit-men or women. 

Very true, I'm on the east coast and strictly applying to northeast schools / am basing my information off of northeast clinical programs. 

9 minutes ago, forensicpsychstu said:

Very true, I'm on the east coast and strictly applying to northeast schools / am basing my information off of northeast clinical programs. 

Yeah, northeast schools, especially with a forensic bent are going to 100% expect a full suit. 

I agree with all the previous posters that dressing up is a safer bet than dressing down and that having a clean, professional, well-lit space is vital. I also agree that talking to current students in a program can be really helpful! If a program doesn't explicitly assign you to a graduate student to be in touch with before the interviews, ask if they can put you in touch with someone informally. I also want to echo what was said about wearing pants or professional dress bottoms - you never know if/when you'll need to stand up and it would be terrible to be caught off guard without professional bottoms on. 

A few things no one else has mentioned that might be useful: 

-Make sure what you are wearing is comfortable to sit or stand in for long stretches of time. There are few things more distracting than someone fidgeting or squirming because they are wearing something uncomfortable. 

-For women, make sure the top you are wearing isn't too low cut, especially for when you might lean forward while sitting. It shouldn't matter but it can be distracting/take away from how professional you look. 

-Be mindful of your posture overall (which follows from my previous points). I have an adjustable standing desk (provided by my department when COVID started) and have found that to be perfect for more formal meetings or when I am getting tired of sitting all day. Standing automatically improves my posture and looks more professional overall. 

-Carefully consider where you will have your notes/take notes. Avoid anything that would require you to look straight down because all the interviewer would see in those moments is the top of your head - not the most professional or memorable approach! 

-If there's something that might make noise or interrupt your meetings, tell people that up front (before it happens). For example, in meetings I have had many people say "I apologize if you hear crying. I have a young child." or "I apologize if you hearing barking. I have a dog." before the meeting even started. The faculty I've talked to have said they appreciate the forewarning of any potential noises so they're not alarmed if/when it happens. 

Best of luck at your interviews!