Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

3 hours ago, IactuallywannaTA said:

Check the Carleton Central portal! My status changed to "recommended for assessment" today, but not on Carleton 365. 

Nope, nothing yet! But happy for you that it changed! 

Does anyone know if Carleton sends rejections letters? I’m kind of wondering if it’ll just be stuck at preliminary review required forever, and then receive a rejection letter. 

Hi everyone,

Just got my acceptance to NPSIA today! Got accepted with a very generous funding package in my first specialization choice.

For all of you still waiting, I may be able to provide some hope! I applied to the program last year and got an acceptance as well, but had to reapply this year as I had to decline my acceptance last year due to personal reasons and NPSIA does not offer deferrals.

Last year, I receive an acceptance with funding around the end of February. I can honestly say that I believe they received a very high volume of applications this year to the program, since I reapplied in December 2020 and just received an acceptance today (so more than 1 month later than last year!) They also informed me that they would be rolling out first round applicants until the beginning of April this year. I do not believe there is any specific order for the review process at the faculty, since as I said I applied in December 2020 and just received my application. I also received funding, which is more than the one I received last year when I applied! I also had been stuck at 'review in progress by department' and 'recommended for assessment' for more than a month.

For all of those still waiting, there is still a lot of hope I believe, and also still funding available for first round offers!

I have received an acceptance to NPSIA! 

For context, I applied on January 30th, and my status was in "preliminary review required" up until Monday on Carleton 360! It changed from "recommended for assessment" to "under review by faculty" in the span of 24 hours. So do check your Carleton Central and do be patient. 

My stats: 

Fourth year undergrad with a background in political studies and a minor in history. 

I have never taken an economics course, will be doing it this Summer.

Extensive leadership and international experience, but none in the public sector. 

When I emailed before, they also said that they will be rolling out first round acceptances into April, so don't lose hope :) 

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

For anyone who received an offer of acceptance to NPSIA, do the awards you received say whether it is a TAship or an RAship? Mine seems to be one of either -ship, which says "Scholarship Departmental 2", and am just wondering if this title is the same for anyone else.

Congrats to everyone who got offers of acceptance, and sending my strength to those of you still waiting, I hope you get closure and good news soon! 

1 hour ago, cawfeeblack said:

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

For anyone who received an offer of acceptance to NPSIA, do the awards you received say whether it is a TAship or an RAship? Mine seems to be one of either -ship, which says "Scholarship Departmental 2", and am just wondering if this title is the same for anyone else.

Congrats to everyone who got offers of acceptance, and sending my strength to those of you still waiting, I hope you get closure and good news soon! 

Hello! I can provide info on this, as asked the faculty last year. 

Regarding funding, there are three types:

• Scholarship Departmental : Basically just a lump sum to be provided as a scholarship by the Faculty, no work needed.
  • Research Assistant: Scholarship associated with work with a faculty for one semester 10 hours a week or two 5 hours a week. You will be contacted by your assigned faculty member directly to determine how you would like to allocate this. 
  • TA Ship: These are 130 hours over the course of the term. The way this is allocated will be worked out when your course and faculty member are assigned, as these hours may be a mixture of hosting seminars, meeting with students, and marking. 

Students who receive funding will have a mixture of those above, and my understanding is that you can decline some of them with if want (i.e. decline a TAship if you already have a part-time job, keep the scholarship departmental).

Hope this helps!

17 minutes ago, Gradgradinternational said:

Hello! I can provide info on this, as asked the faculty last year. 

Regarding funding, there are three types:

• Scholarship Departmental : Basically just a lump sum to be provided as a scholarship by the Faculty, no work needed.
  • Research Assistant: Scholarship associated with work with a faculty for one semester 10 hours a week or two 5 hours a week. You will be contacted by your assigned faculty member directly to determine how you would like to allocate this. 
  • TA Ship: These are 130 hours over the course of the term. The way this is allocated will be worked out when your course and faculty member are assigned, as these hours may be a mixture of hosting seminars, meeting with students, and marking. 

Students who receive funding will have a mixture of those above, and my understanding is that you can decline some of them with if want (i.e. decline a TAship if you already have a part-time job, keep the scholarship departmental).

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that was very helpful! I thought my Scholarship Departmental 2 could be a TA/RA ship since it was spread out over four semesters but the amount per semester was too low to be a TA/RA ship lol. I hope to see you in Ottawa soon! ?

Just moved to  'review in progress by department' after being  at 'preliminary review required' since Jan. 31 for NPSIA. Does anyone have a ballpark of how long it takes to be accepted/rejected from this point forward?

26 minutes ago, Lake10 said:

Just moved to  'review in progress by department' after being  at 'preliminary review required' since Jan. 31 for NPSIA. Does anyone have a ballpark of how long it takes to be accepted/rejected from this point forward?

Took about 24-48 hours for me! Once your specialization changes from N/A to what you applied for it's really quick.

21 minutes ago, Lake10 said:

Hi Lake10,

From what happened with me, it maybe a bit tough to say the exact timelines. I, for example, went from review in progress to recommended for assessment and then back to review in progress and this happened over three week window. What is certain, however, is that things moved fairly quickly once the stage was review in progress by faculty of grad. affairs. It just took a day or two for the final offer to come when the application was in review in progress by faculty of grad. affairs. 

Folks, for thoes planning to go to NPSIA and have to take ECON courses, Carleton has opened summer registration for ECON 1001 and ECON 1002. The courses via Carleton are less costly than what is available via Athabasca. Thought to share.

11 minutes ago, Ball_D said:

Folks, for thoes planning to go to NPSIA and have to take ECON courses, Carleton has opened summer registration for ECON 1001 and ECON 1002. The courses via Carleton are less costly than what is available via Athabasca. Thought to share.

Registered for them this morning. Might be a good idea if some of us form a study group over the summer? Could be useful, plus I don't have much of a background in Econ 

14 minutes ago, dingbat said:

Registered for them this morning. Might be a good idea if some of us form a study group over the summer? Could be useful, plus I don't have much of a background in Econ 

Ah! Sounds good and happy to help. I did Eco literally once upon a time and was asked to re-take Econ 1002 :D .. happy to connect when the course starts. 

12 minutes ago, leenzo said:

Hey! my specialization updated last night and I'm under review by the faculty of grad affairs. does anyone know if when the specialization changes whether or not its good news?

It is a good news! :D .. just a matter of time now!