Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

Hi everyone! 

I'm currently a student at NPSIA (started in Fall 2020), so let me know if you have any questions about the program. I am happy to share my experiences with the application/acceptance process and the program in general. I remember checking this forum regularly last year around this time since I was also super stressed about getting in/not getting in and the responses from current students really helped quell my anxiety (so here I am paying it forward haha). 

1 hour ago, al627 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm currently a student at NPSIA (started in Fall 2020), so let me know if you have any questions about the program. I am happy to share my experiences with the application/acceptance process and the program in general. I remember checking this forum regularly last year around this time since I was also super stressed about getting in/not getting in and the responses from current students really helped quell my anxiety (so here I am paying it forward haha). 

You're a saint!

I am still at "preliminary review required" but I got an acceptance from GSPIA with the typical $7500 scholarship back in Feb.  If I get an acceptance from NPSIA (fingers crossed lol) I was wondering what the advantages are to picking NPSIA over GSPIA. To be honest my main goal is to come out of either program with a job offer (probably everyones goal lmao) in your opinion what program sets you up with better networking and work placement/co-op opportunities? 

I received the good news that I was accepted into NPSIA and Munk MGA yesterday :) I learned of the status change by email in both cases. 

I'm a domestic student with a 3.6 CGPA, federal government co-op terms, and I studied abroad. 

I was not offered any funding by Munk, which makes my offers with NPSIA and UCalgary CMSS comparatively appealing. 

NPSIA offered conditional admission (pending degree completion) to my first choice program, Security and Defense Policy, and offered me a funding package with research assistant and teaching assistant components. 

I am really in love with the NPSIA program, and although I will give it a sober second thought, it seems like a great opportunity. 

Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back. I hope you get a positive reply soon! 

7 minutes ago, chinoiseries said:

I received the good news that I was accepted into NPSIA and Munk MGA yesterday :) I learned of the status change by email in both cases. 

I'm a domestic student with a 3.6 CGPA, federal government co-op terms, and I studied abroad. 

I was not offered any funding by Munk, which makes my offers with NPSIA and UCalgary CMSS comparatively appealing. 

NPSIA offered conditional admission (pending degree completion) to my first choice program, Security and Defense Policy, and offered me a funding package with research assistant and teaching assistant components. 

I am really in love with the NPSIA program, and although I will give it a sober second thought, it seems like a great opportunity. 

Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back. I hope you get a positive reply soon! 

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news. If you don’t mind me asking, how did the status of your application progress in terms of going through “preliminary review required” and the rest?

12 minutes ago, Kcs421 said:

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news. If you don’t mind me asking, how did the status of your application progress in terms of going through “preliminary review required” and the rest?

My Carleton 360 never changed until I was accepted. The status was more helpful in Carleton Central, where it changed from “preliminary review required” to "Recommended for Assessment" in mid-late February, then to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" this week one day before I was accepted, and then after my acceptance email they "withdrew" my original application and transferred the information to a seemingly identical application with the status "Decision made". I was checking multiple times per day, and those were the only changes that I noticed. 

3 hours ago, oreilly001 said:

You're a saint!

I am still at "preliminary review required" but I got an acceptance from GSPIA with the typical $7500 scholarship back in Feb.  If I get an acceptance from NPSIA (fingers crossed lol) I was wondering what the advantages are to picking NPSIA over GSPIA. To be honest my main goal is to come out of either program with a job offer (probably everyones goal lmao) in your opinion what program sets you up with better networking and work placement/co-op opportunities? 

Hey, congrats on the GSPIA offer!

Honestly, getting a job after graduation was also my most important factor when choosing programs. I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA, and the MIPP program at BSA for the Fall 2020 cohort. Though I got into all the programs, here are some of the reasons why I chose NPSIA:

- Great co-op program (you can complete up to 2 co-op terms), where it seems like the vast majority of students get full-time offers following graduation (based on testimonials from many of my undergrad classmates who went to NPSIA before I did). And because I was really interested in working for government, NPSIA seemed like the place to go since the majority of their co-op positions are within federal departments and agencies (and pretty much all NPSIA profs are practitioners in their field and have worked extensively within government). However, if you're more interested in working for non-profit or international organizations, it seems that GSPIA provides more of those opportunities. 

- NPSIA has a course-work option where you can just take courses (and not do a thesis or research essay) to complete your degree. GSPIA requires all their students to complete a final masters research paper, and I wasn't too keen on doing that haha.

- Reputation. Based on everyone's comments here, I kind of also jumped on the bandwagon since most people seem to choose NPSIA over GSPIA. And so far, I've really enjoyed my experience with NPSIA.

- Everyone dubs NPSIA as a 'professional' program rather than an 'academic' one, which I really appreciate, because most of our assignments are very practical. Not sure if you experienced the same, but my undergrad was in International Relations, and all my assignments were 15-20 page research papers and essays. But at NPSIA, the profs do a really good job of giving assignments that replicate the kind of work you'll be doing in a government/think tank kind of job. For example, I have written a few policy briefs (from both a government and industry/stakeholder perspective), Memorandums to Cabinet, and country profiles. This also becomes very handy when you're applying to co-op positions and they ask for a writing sample.  

I wouldn't call all these points 'advantages' of picking NPSIA over GSPIA, since this was based on what I personally wanted out of my masters program. And because I genuinely don't know how GSPIA is with their networking and co-op opportunities (and how successful their students are with finding placements), I won't comment on which one is better than the other. But I would say, that despite COVID, there's still quite a lot of co-op opportunities that have been posted for this upcoming summer term for NPSIA students. There are networking opportunities that Carleton's co-op office holds, but most of them are with private companies. Since most NPSIA students are looking for positions with the government, they are not really relevant to us (and the government doesn't really hold networking sessions for the policy analyst positions that we usually apply for). 

I hope this answers your questions, but let me know if you have any more! :) 

8 minutes ago, al627 said:

Hey, congrats on the GSPIA offer!

Honestly, getting a job after graduation was also my most important factor when choosing programs. I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA, and the MIPP program at BSA for the Fall 2020 cohort. Though I got into all the programs, here are some of the reasons why I chose NPSIA:

- Great co-op program (you can complete up to 2 co-op terms), where it seems like the vast majority of students get full-time offers following graduation (based on testimonials from many of my undergrad classmates who went to NPSIA before I did). And because I was really interested in working for government, NPSIA seemed like the place to go since the majority of their co-op positions are within federal departments and agencies (and pretty much all NPSIA profs are practitioners in their field and have worked extensively within government). However, if you're more interested in working for non-profit or international organizations, it seems that GSPIA provides more of those opportunities. 

- NPSIA has a course-work option where you can just take courses (and not do a thesis or research essay) to complete your degree. GSPIA requires all their students to complete a final masters research paper, and I wasn't too keen on doing that haha.

- Reputation. Based on everyone's comments here, I kind of also jumped on the bandwagon since most people seem to choose NPSIA over GSPIA. And so far, I've really enjoyed my experience with NPSIA.

- Everyone dubs NPSIA as a 'professional' program rather than an 'academic' one, which I really appreciate, because most of our assignments are very practical. Not sure if you experienced the same, but my undergrad was in International Relations, and all my assignments were 15-20 page research papers and essays. But at NPSIA, the profs do a really good job of giving assignments that replicate the kind of work you'll be doing in a government/think tank kind of job. For example, I have written a few policy briefs (from both a government and industry/stakeholder perspective), Memorandums to Cabinet, and country profiles. This also becomes very handy when you're applying to co-op positions and they ask for a writing sample.  

I wouldn't call all these points 'advantages' of picking NPSIA over GSPIA, since this was based on what I personally wanted out of my masters program. And because I genuinely don't know how GSPIA is with their networking and co-op opportunities (and how successful their students are with finding placements), I won't comment on which one is better than the other. But I would say, that despite COVID, there's still quite a lot of co-op opportunities that have been posted for this upcoming summer term for NPSIA students. There are networking opportunities that Carleton's co-op office holds, but most of them are with private companies. Since most NPSIA students are looking for positions with the government, they are not really relevant to us (and the government doesn't really hold networking sessions for the policy analyst positions that we usually apply for). 

I hope this answers your questions, but let me know if you have any more! :) 

SO HELPFUL! Thank you so much honestly I'm in the same boat wanting to work for the government and I have been leaning towards NPSIA especially with the specializations they offer and the course work option compared to GSPIA's research paper or thesis options. The only bummer for me is that I would have to complete the econ requirements this summer for NPSIA whereas I can complete the econ requirements during my first year at U of O.

I'm really hoping I hear back from NPSIA soon... I have a 10.45 on the carleton GPA scale so I hope that makes me a somewhat competitive applicant lol but I guess I'll see. 

2 hours ago, oreilly001 said:

SO HELPFUL! Thank you so much honestly I'm in the same boat wanting to work for the government and I have been leaning towards NPSIA especially with the specializations they offer and the course work option compared to GSPIA's research paper or thesis options. The only bummer for me is that I would have to complete the econ requirements this summer for NPSIA whereas I can complete the econ requirements during my first year at U of O.

I'm really hoping I hear back from NPSIA soon... I have a 10.45 on the carleton GPA scale so I hope that makes me a somewhat competitive applicant lol but I guess I'll see. 

Not a problem, glad I could help! There's always A LOT of incoming NPSIA students who hadn't completed their econ requirements and do so the summer before they start the program. Last summer they even made a Facebook group chat with everyone to share notes and study together, so you're definitely not alone! 

10.45/12 is definitely competitive! Even if your GPA is lower, NPSIA seems to take quite a balanced approach to admissions and looks at your application as a whole (grades, CV, references, statement of intent). Even if you're not too strong in one area but very strong in others, I would still say you're a competitive candidate. 

On 3/16/2021 at 5:36 AM, highlighter12 said:

Just got my acceptance to Munk!!! Good luck to all still waiting 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:58 AM, almoravidin said:

Just got my acceptance as well. Best wishes to everyone waiting. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:15 AM, Samdaman164 said:

Got into Munk also! Wondering if anyone received funding? 

On 3/16/2021 at 11:47 AM, poli_sci_student said:

Hey guys :)

Just got accepted into the MGA today and accepted to NPSIA three weeks ago. I'm definitely struggling with deciding between the two, I am leaning more towards Munk at the moment as I hope to go on to law school after. If anyone has advice lmk! Also if anyone is planning on going to Munk in the fall hit me up!

20 hours ago, ncl said:

Hi all! I received my MGA acceptance yesterday by email :) does anyone have any insight into the max that Munk normally gives out in entrance scholarships?

Hey guys, have you accepted and confirmed your offers. I am an international student (from India). We could make a group of MGA fall 2021 students ! Hope to meet you guys at the Munk school soon ! 

16 hours ago, chinoiseries said:

My Carleton 360 never changed until I was accepted. The status was more helpful in Carleton Central, where it changed from “preliminary review required” to "Recommended for Assessment" in mid-late February, then to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" this week one day before I was accepted, and then after my acceptance email they "withdrew" my original application and transferred the information to a seemingly identical application with the status "Decision made". I was checking multiple times per day, and those were the only changes that I noticed. 

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who is keeping this thread updated. I am still at "Preliminary Review Required" so seeing others in the same boat is of comfort to me (even though I'm starting to lose hope haha). Congratulations to everyone who has heard back and good luck to those who have yet to! 

I received acceptances from Munk and IHEID yesterday, and an acceptance from GSPIA back in February, but I'm still at "Preliminary review required" on Carleton's website. I realize that they had way more applications this year than they usually do, but it seems things are moving really slowly. Hopefully those of us still waiting get some good news this week!

Edited by sshelton

19 minutes ago, sshelton said:

I received acceptances from Munk and IHEID yesterday, and an acceptance from GSPIA back in February, but I'm still at "Preliminary review required" on Carleton's website. I realize that they had way more applications this year than they usually do, but it seems things are moving really slowly. Hopefully those of us still waiting get some good news this week!

Hello! On the same boat. I am still waiting for a reply from NPSIA and I have been at 'review in progress by department' for quite some time now. I applied in December 2020.

I have also been accepted to IHEID for the MIA earlier this week, and it's funny because I applied both to NPSIA and IHEID last year and got acceptance to both programs (NPSIA with funding). I finally had to postponed everything for personal reasons and reapplied again this year and now I am still waiting on NPSIA as well... how much longer can this take? ? I though it would be quick since I got in last year but I am still waiting a decision!

4 hours ago, ggkk_the_game said:

Hey guys, have you accepted and confirmed your offers. I am an international student (from India). We could make a group of MGA fall 2021 students ! Hope to meet you guys at the Munk school soon ! 

I have not accepted my offer from Munk yet, but I would love to be a part of a group so we can all get to know each other :) 

Hey all. I'm still of "preliminary review required" for my NPSIA application but I just got an email from Lauren regarding my application and she requested I send an updated transcript with my fall semester grades (I applied in December so they were not posted yet or else i would have included them) she said:

"We are currently in the process of reviewing your application to NPSIA, and I am reaching out to request a copy of your most recent transcript that includes your Fall 2020 grades. We typically require these grades when calculating an applicant’s GPA, and any additional documentation can be uploaded through Carleton Central once an application has been submitted. An unofficial copy would be fine."

So if anyone is in the same boat as me I would upload your most recent transcript ASAP so that hopefully you get a decision sooner. 

3 minutes ago, Hedonism said:

Just got my acceptance to NPSIA with my first choice stream. Best of luck to those who are waiting!

Do you know how long it took between your application being updated to "review in progress by department" and you getting accepted? My application just moved to "review in progress by department" so I'm eager to get my decision!

1 hour ago, blackandwhitecat said:

Do you know how long it took between your application being updated to "review in progress by department" and you getting accepted? My application just moved to "review in progress by department" so I'm eager to get my decision!

My application pretty much followed the process listed on their website - for some reason, it even went back a step ?.. the process it followed was:

Review in Progress by Dept. >> Recommended for Assessment >> Review in Progress by Dept. >> Recommended for Assessment >> Review in Progress by Faculty of Grad Affairs >> Offer.

The last two steps (in bold) kind of happened with in a span of few hours. My specialization was updated while the status was still review in progress by grad affairs. I hope this helps.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a while but decided to post for the first time. I'm curious to know if any international students have been admitted into NPSIA. I got into Munk a couple of days ago, but the international tuition just makes it a little out of my reach! My application status has been "review in progress by department" for quite some time now on Carleton Central. 

2 hours ago, Gradgradinternational said:

Hello! On the same boat. I am still waiting for a reply from NPSIA and I have been at 'review in progress by department' for quite some time now. I applied in December 2020.

I have also been accepted to IHEID for the MIA earlier this week, and it's funny because I applied both to NPSIA and IHEID last year and got acceptance to both programs (NPSIA with funding). I finally had to postponed everything for personal reasons and reapplied again this year and now I am still waiting on NPSIA as well... how much longer can this take? ? I though it would be quick since I got in last year but I am still waiting a decision!

Ugh, I know - it's so frustrating! At least you have a good chance of getting in if you were accepted last year, but waiting is no fun either way ?

45 minutes ago, acceptmepls said:

Specialization changed to show my top choice; I don't want to jump the gun before a letter comes, but this would appear to be a good sign! 

It is! Congratulation.. my offer came in a couple of hours, once the specialization was updated. Looks like you are good to go! :)