Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

seeing as other schools are quicker to send out decisions (some people in this thread indicated they were already accepted to GSPIA for example), they likely wanted to scare students into confirming offers they already have rather than wait for NPSIA to reduce the competition.  So they're assuming everyone has the same first choice and career aspirations? nice try lol  

10 minutes ago, notalurkeranymore said:

seeing as other schools are quicker to send out decisions (some people in this thread indicated they were already accepted to GSPIA for example), they likely wanted to scare students into confirming offers they already have rather than wait for NPSIA to reduce the competition.  So they're assuming everyone has the same first choice and career aspirations? nice try lol  

This is actually really sad, good thing NPSIA put it to rest! No one needs this kind of stress (especially currently)

4 hours ago, Hedonism said:

This is misinformation and Gradcafe should really crack down on people posting false information to steer people away from waiting for a response from their school of choice, or to give them anxiety. I had reached out to NPSIA this morning and they have responded to me with the following information:

"Hello Hedonism,

I took a look online, and I would say that it was false information posted. We also did not have any deferrals from last year (NPSIA does not offer deferrals), and anyone who had declined their offer in 2020 due to covid was asked to reapply this year. Perhaps this person accidently wrote NPSIA instead of another school. I’m glad I could put your anxiety at ease!"

So for those who are waiting for a response and see their application stuck at "Prelimary Review Required", please don't worry. Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Very bizarre your first ever post on Gradcafe was informing potential attendees of a "rejection letter" you had received. Shame on you.

Thank you so much for taking the initiative to verify this with NPSIA. My heart really sank last night reading the false information, as I have not received an offer yet. Better with today's news. Also good on NPSIA for sending out the email to everyone to mitigate our burst of anxiety. 

More generally, my application recently changed from "Preliminary review required" to "Recommended for Assessment" in the Graduate Admissions Application Summary. I applied in mid-January. 

23 minutes ago, IactuallywannaTA said:

Hey guys! Is anyone still stuck on "preliminary review required"? I'm getting kind of nervous... I've heard back from 3 schools already, including Ottawa. I hope nothing happened to my application

What schools did you apply to? I’ve only heard back from Ottawa

My status just changed yesterday  from 'preliminary review required' to 'review in progress by department'.

I finished my application in December, and I see that others that applied in January went through this step before I did. So I don't think there is any specific order and clearly they are currently reviewing everybody's application. So I think everybody needs to relax a bit! Haha

38 minutes ago, lh443424 said:

Has there been any movement out of "Preliminary Review Required" for those of you in this thread? Just curious about how far along we may be in the review process.

Yes, I've been at "Recommended for Assessment" as of late last week. I don't think they're reviewing applications in any particular order :)

3 hours ago, lh443424 said:

Has there been any movement out of "Preliminary Review Required" for those of you in this thread? Just curious about how far along we may be in the review process.

I've been stuck at Preliminary Review Required too. Nothing to do but wait. Or if you're like me, refresh Carleton's site every 2 hours and feel pity for yourself when others get accepted lol

1 hour ago, TedCruzAteMyKids said:

I've been stuck at Preliminary Review Required too. Nothing to do but wait. Or if you're like me, refresh Carleton's site every 2 hours and feel pity for yourself when others get accepted lol

I was moved to "Recommended for Assessment" a few weeks ago - nothing since. Still check every few hours, though. Just in case. 

For those of you concerned about the stages, this is a reply I got when e-mailing admissions:

"Good afternoon,

Thanks for reaching out. I can confirm that at this time, your file is currently under preliminary review. When a file is being reviewed, the status may not always change to say “Review In Progress”, and some applicants may find that their application moves from “Preliminary Review Required” straight to to “Recommended for Assessment”.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns."

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted and good luck to everyone waiting on results! I was just wondering if anyone received Carleton OGS and if so, have you already been admitted either into NPSIA or another program at Carleton?

2 hours ago, Kcs421 said:

I’m also at Preliminary Review Required ? does anyone know what they mean by early March, and I guess when the latest we’d hear back by is?

Glad to hear others are in the same boat as me. Hopefully we'll move forward soon. I don't think they specified early March did they? Their email sent until the end of March

28 minutes ago, TedCruzAteMyKids said:

Glad to hear others are in the same boat as me. Hopefully we'll move forward soon. I don't think they specified early March did they? Their email sent until the end of March

In their FAQ for admissions, it says:

“The admissions committee will review files after the January 31 deadline. Assessment time depends on the number of applications received, but we aim to have admission decisions out to first round applicants by early March. Second round offers are distributed on a rolling basis until August 31.“

I guess the latest we hear back is end of March? Hope it doesn’t come to that lol