Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

3 minutes ago, Hedonism said:

Oh totally! Do you know if it gets stuck at "Preliminary review required" if your application doesn't make it past that stage? Or does it say "Rejected"?

You can have a look at this: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/ According to this it lets you know if your offer has been declined, so I wouldn't worry about being stuck at 'preliminary review required' forever. Also, in last year's thread, some people reported going straight from 'preliminary review required' to an offer of admission. 

Edited by jcoutu

5 minutes ago, jcoutu said:

You can have a look at this: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/ According to this it lets you know if your offer has been declined, so I wouldn't worry about being stuck at 'preliminary review required' forever. Also, in last year's thread, some people reported going straight from 'preliminary review required' to an offer of admission. 

this makes me feel better haha, thank you! 

Yeah, this preliminary review required stage is killer. I feel like in previous years forums the stages were changing at this point, and thus far most of us are stuck at the first one? It makes me think it’ll go straight to admissions decisions, or just take longer.

23 minutes ago, troyes34 said:

Emails should be going out soon. Unfortunately, it looks like I wasn't selected ?

"We regret to inform you that your application for entry into the MA Program at the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs for 2021-22 has been refused. While we understand this was not the result you were hoping for, applications for space in the program were extremely limited this year. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, spaces were even more limited than normal as we accepted a number of deferrals from the 2020-21 intake.  While all successful applicants have now been contacted and we have no more space in the program, we wish you luck in your future endeavours and welcome you to re-apply for the 2022-23 intake."

I'm so so sorry. Did you just get the email? 

1 hour ago, troyes34 said:

Emails should be going out soon. Unfortunately, it looks like I wasn't selected ?

"We regret to inform you that your application for entry into the MA Program at the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs for 2021-22 has been refused. While we understand this was not the result you were hoping for, applications for space in the program were extremely limited this year. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, spaces were even more limited than normal as we accepted a number of deferrals from the 2020-21 intake.  While all successful applicants have now been contacted and we have no more space in the program, we wish you luck in your future endeavours and welcome you to re-apply for the 2022-23 intake."

I'm so sorry, friend. That is awful to hear.

I worry this message may mean there were so many applicants that there will only be one round of acceptances; no second wave, as has been the case in years past.

2 hours ago, notalurkeranymore said:

wow congrats!!! :) That's so quick!! 

I was surprised! My application moved pretty steadily through all the stages (prelim review, recommended for assessment, etc.) but I wasn't expecting to hear back until later in March. The letter was sent on Feb 22, but I saw it today.  Very excited to meet the incoming class :) 

Edited by memelife
Typo

2 hours ago, troyes34 said:

So sorry to hear that but I sincerely hope you get in somewhere great. 

I am so sorry to hear you didn’t get in this year :( @troyes34. I really do hope you get into somewhere great too!

For everyone else who is nervous that they haven’t heard back yet, don’t fret. I did email Carleton today asking why my application has been stuck on “Preliminary review required”, and I was told that they haven’t gone through all of them yet and they will continue to roll out offers through to March. So the line about “all offers have been sent out” may be inaccurate. Don’t give up hope!

Edited by Hedonism

14 hours ago, troyes34 said:

This is misinformation and Gradcafe should really crack down on people posting false information to steer people away from waiting for a response from their school of choice, or to give them anxiety. I had reached out to NPSIA this morning and they have responded to me with the following information:

"Hello Hedonism,

I took a look online, and I would say that it was false information posted. We also did not have any deferrals from last year (NPSIA does not offer deferrals), and anyone who had declined their offer in 2020 due to covid was asked to reapply this year. Perhaps this person accidently wrote NPSIA instead of another school. I’m glad I could put your anxiety at ease!"

So for those who are waiting for a response and see their application stuck at "Prelimary Review Required", please don't worry. Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Very bizarre your first ever post on Gradcafe was informing potential attendees of a "rejection letter" you had received. Shame on you.

37 minutes ago, jcoutu said:

Hi everyone! I just got an offer this morning! Got into my first choice specialization, with a pretty generous funding package, so I think this is where I’m headed in the fall! I really hope everyone gets (good) news soon :)

Congrats! You don't happen to attend Carleton currently (or previously), do you? 

1 minute ago, Svalbardz said:

Received an e-mail from NPSIA confirming what Hedonism just posted. It's entitled "False information online". 

Correct. I received the same email from NPSIA Faculty:

''At this time, we are in the beginning stages of admissions and are still reviewing many applications. We have not sent out all admission offers for fall 2021 at this time, and this will be an ongoing process over the next few months. We will aim to complete our first-round offers by the end of March, however we will continue to send out offers throughout the spring if space still remains. All application decisions will be made no later than August 31st.

We also wanted to confirm that NPSIA does not offer deferrals, and applicants from fall 2020 were asked to reapply this year in order to be considered for the fall 2021 cohort. We did not reserve spots in the program for applicants from last year.'

very weird for someone to post this bad information online lol... I don't even see the goal in doing so...

aniways good news is that decisions are coming!