Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

Hi everyone! New to this thread. I Was wondering if anyone’s else’s UofT acorn account looks like this and says “invited”? Is this a confirmation of program acceptance into mpp? Could use any insight thanks! Don’t want to get my hopes up lol

F8C054D1-D23A-4727-909E-35A327FB0BEA.jpeg

Does the NPSIA admittance process seem inconsistent with previous years to anyone else? It just seems sort of odd that they're doing this in a staggered fashion, rather than previous years where it seems like they sent a significant amount out in bulk over 1-2 days. 

Regardless, it is reassuring to see people in this forum get their acceptance emails! 

Edited by lh443424

49 minutes ago, lh443424 said:

Does the NPSIA admittance process seem inconsistent with previous years to anyone else? It just seems sort of odd that they're doing this in a staggered fashion, rather than previous years where it seems like they sent a significant amount out in bulk over 1-2 days. 

Regardless, it is reassuring to see people in this forum get their acceptance emails! 

100% agree. I re-submitted an application this year as I had to postponed my previous one last year so I can confirm. 

I got an acceptance last year around February 28 at the same time as most 1st round applicants I believe.

I reapplied this year and I am still waiting for news from them! It's getting kinda long, especially since they seem to admit people every day for the past 3 weeks? hope I will get similar results ...

1 hour ago, Gradgradinternational said:

100% agree. I re-submitted an application this year as I had to postponed my previous one last year so I can confirm. 

I got an acceptance last year around February 28 at the same time as most 1st round applicants I believe.

I reapplied this year and I am still waiting for news from them! It's getting kinda long, especially since they seem to admit people every day for the past 3 weeks? hope I will get similar results ...

Hopefully we all do, sooner rather than later! That's so strange that your application wasn't one of the first to be admitted though - I would assume the opposite, but at least its kind of a "been there before" situation for you ?

Hey all, long time lurker here.

I got accepted to NPSIA today! I've always wished folks would post more info on here, so here are my full details.

The process:

Applied in mid-Jan.

"Recommended for assessment" for a long-ass time, I don't remember.

"Review in progress by department" for two or three weeks.

My specialization was updated from "N/A" to "Health, Displacement, and Humanitarian Policy" this morning.

Shortly after my file updated to "Review in progress by faculty of post-graduate affairs".

Then I got an email saying my application was approved in the late afternoon. So I logged into Carleton Central and freaked the hell out because my file said "application withdrawn". But then five minutes later a new file was created with my chosen specialization in the file name. So just a quick scare. 

My stats:

Geography major, history minor, concentration in Resources, Economy, and the Environment with Honours Thesis and Coop.

3.81 GPA on a 4.33 scale. My last couple of semesters were higher and I did very well on the economics required courses.

Two years experience working in climate policy at Environment Canada. One year experience working at Global Affairs Canada in trade negotiations. These both started on a coop student basis and extended into casual contracts. Everyone has strengths in their application, the work experience component was likely my strength.

Not much noteworthy travel experience or research other than my honours thesis.

Volunteer experience is just stuff in my local community.

Rudimentary skill in French.

My reference letters were okay, one was a prof who didn't know me very well but I did well in his class, the other supervised my Honours Thesis.

This is the kind of post I've always wanted others to do in these forums when lurking last year and the year before, so I felt obliged to do one myself.

Godspeed to everyone still waiting, and looking forward to meeting some of you! Happy to answer any questions. I wonder if someone is going to start/has started a facebook group for the 2021 class :)

Hey I got my acceptance to Munk for the MGA a couple days ago. Anyone know how the funding/no-funding status works though and where I could check mine? I think I don't have funding since the offer of admission didn't mention anything but if anyone knows where to check that would be super appreciated 

On 3/16/2021 at 2:56 PM, al627 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm currently a student at NPSIA (started in Fall 2020), so let me know if you have any questions about the program. I am happy to share my experiences with the application/acceptance process and the program in general. I remember checking this forum regularly last year around this time since I was also super stressed about getting in/not getting in and the responses from current students really helped quell my anxiety (so here I am paying it forward haha). 

I'd love to know what kind of co-op positions students at NPSIA tend to get! Is it mostly public sector (government) or private?

Hi folks, as the decisions are now trickling down, I am wondering how and what factors are you leveraging to decide on the final one to accept? NPSIA is something that has been right at the top of my list, but wondering if anyone is/will be declining it for others such as GSPIA and if yes, it will be a great insight to know why.

NPSIA of course has a solid reputation and a bit mature course offerings I would say. Reading previous years' posts, I see that some folks decided to go to GSPIA given there more professional/international opportunities but reading from GSPIA's website, it seems fair to deduce that both co-ops and exchange programs are pretty competitive. I am also finding a bit tough to find GSPIA alumni/alumnae. 

Would be good to hear inputs and opinions.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, dingbat said:

Hi everyone, 

I received an unofficial acceptance to NPSIA last Monday (March 1st), in the email it said "In the next week, you will receive an official offer of admission via Carleton Central." It's been 10 days and nothing has been updated on CC. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Also, is anyone considering the EURUS program at Carleton? Or the CERES program at Munk? Both made very generous offers and seem to be pretty good academically. 

Hi there! I was accepted to the Munk CERES program and I'm planning on attending. I also received a very generous funding offer and I've only heard good things from alumni and the admin/faculty seem super friendly! Are you considering it?

Hi all - based on the kind offer by @al627 - I thought I might do the same. I have just completed the MA program at NPSIA so if anyone has any questions, I am happy to try and answer them as best as I can. I studied part-time as I was working full-time. I entered with a specialization of Conflict but graduated with a general MA in IR as many do. I completed the program via the course work option as it was most flexible for me while working full-time. I was required to take an additional econ class before beginning the program which I took over the summer before starting - I did the econ class with Athabasca online. I know how there can be a lot of questions and anxiety during this time, so if you have any questions, just let me know. Good luck everyone!

4 hours ago, blackandwhitecat said:

I'd love to know what kind of co-op positions students at NPSIA tend to get! Is it mostly public sector (government) or private?

I would say the VAST majority of students at NPSIA are placed in co-op positions in the public sector, mostly in federal government departments/agencies. Out of the first years I currently talk to and have secured summer co-op positions, every single one of them will be working for a federal department/agency. And that's mainly because most (I would say 90%+) of the job postings on the co-op portal are with the public sector (and most NPSIA students do seem to want to end up with federal government jobs after graduation). There are quite a few positions posted with the Ontario provincial government too. 

There are some private sector jobs posted, but they're mainly with large corporations (Bell, RBC) as part of their general student recruitment initiatives, so the positions may not be too specific to International Affairs. However, you are free to look for a co-op position on your own (not using the Carleton platform) if you're more interested in private/non-profit work, and if eligible, would still count as a 'co-op' by NPSIA standards. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Finally received my NPSIA acceptance today! Got offered my first choice with a generous funding package. 

My background: 

BA honours at Carleton in Political Science, minor in History, 10.80 GPA. Two research projects nominated for undergraduate awards, both in Canadian history. A in ECON1000 (back when the course was a full credit and a year long). 

Just over a year of work experience for the CRA in business analysis. I also volunteer for and attend constituent hours with my MP. 

References were strong, both from prominent figures at Carleton (one having supervised a number of NPSIA professors himself). 

This is subjective, but I feel I had a strong Statement of Intent that I worked quite extensively with one of my references on.

For those currently at NPSIA, can anyone comment on the prospect of working full-time while attending school? I'm hoping to continue working while taking a slightly-reduced course load. 

Best of luck to anyone still waiting, and I look forward to meeting some or all of you in the fall!  

Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance to NPSIA in IOGP specialization (first choice) this past Friday. I received some scholarships and a TAship. I was in recommended for assessment, I think since the start of March and just jumped to "Application Approved" (I also did not check my application status often after recommended for assessment status, so there could have been a change at one point or another to the other statuses beforehand)

Undergrad - Biology (BA) and Human Rights; had my honours thesis; did not take the ECON requirement prior; was in Biology and Humanities for my 1st and 2nd year at Carleton and then switched to Biology and Human Rights for my 3rd and 4th year

GPA (last 2 years) - 10.5/12

Experience - in 2 research projects about international work since my 2nd year in undergrad; 1) about refugee participation and 2) women and girls with disability in the global South (no international travelling; all work in Canada); TA this semester (WInter 2021); no government work experience

Extracurriculars - in a health science research project competition (did not win lol); working with biology department with some EDI goals for underrepresented students in the department; hospital volunteer for a good 4 to 5 years (can you tell I used to be a premed yet?)

References - Thesis supervisor and research project supervisor

Letter of intent - found it pretty strong, had support from an alumni from an MA in polisci and both references reviewed my letter prior to submission; put an emphasis on my health interests

Other programs I applied to - since I decided to apply to a master's in December 2020 (so pretty late if you ask me), I only looked into NPSIA and MDS at Carleton; preferred to stay at Carleton given the research project I'm helping with

Hope this helps anyone else interested!

Apologies if this info was already posted in the thread, but I had emailed a while ago and asked about a potential timeline for the rest of the applications and Lauren said those who don't receive an offer in the first round may be considered in the second which will be put out throughout the spring and summer. I would imagine they'll let us know if we are rejected in the first round as well, but I personally just accepted another offer from a different school. Couldn't wait much longer.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, Kcs421 said:

I’m still at preliminary review required ?? anyone else? 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, TedCruzAteMyKids said:

Yup

Check the Carleton Central portal! My status changed to "recommended for assessment" today, but not on Carleton 365.