ETH Zurich [ETHZ] 2021: Admissions and ESOP/ETH-D Decisions

Lina-H

On 2/20/2021 at 5:42 AM, Lina-H said:

I received my admission offer for the MSc in Integrated Building Systems (MIBS) earlier today (10 AM GMT). I got an email from the department's "head of student administration", and the offer letter (dated today, February 19th) was attached and included additional information about the program, starting date, and so on. 

What's weird is that nothing changed on the portal. I didn't get the generic email to check my status. Status is still "under review" and there's still nothing regarding ESOP. I'm a bit wary about feeling relieved before the portal is updated.

Anyone having the same issue?  

I also got admitted to the same program, but I am not sure about I am going to accept this offer or not as actually I am more interested to admitted into Mech MSc but got rejected sadly.?

14 hours ago, adrianop01 said:

I also got admitted to the same program, but I am not sure about I am going to accept this offer or not as actually I am more interested to admitted into Mech MSc but got rejected sadly.?

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to accept either although it's my top choice. I still have to sort out the financial aspect.. i don't know how it works at ETH but maybe you can accept the offer and transfer to the program you prefer in the second semester or so? 

6 hours ago, ksfgota said:

It seems like ESOP decisions are separate and come later? I think it said mid-late march.. Does anyone know if interviews are required and when those usually happen? I feel like it's about time...

Yes, they send out ESOP decisions separately. I think interviews are mandatory, although they used to conduct the interviews before confirming acceptance, this time they sent out program decisions first. We can't really say how they're doing things now. I personally received my acceptance on 25 Feb and haven't received any communication regarding ESOP yet.

8 hours ago, Gaatha Bhatia said:

Yes, they send out ESOP decisions separately. I think interviews are mandatory, although they used to conduct the interviews before confirming acceptance, this time they sent out program decisions first. We can't really say how they're doing things now. I personally received my acceptance on 25 Feb and haven't received any communication regarding ESOP yet.

Looks like i can pretty much assume I didn't get one then haha

31 minutes ago, ksfgota said:

Looks like i can pretty much assume I didn't get one then haha

Not really, I think they're required to interview everyone who applied for it. What does your portal say? Mine says "ESOP requested". Don't lose hope, they're yet to conduct interviews for a majority of us. Good luck! 

21 minutes ago, Gaatha Bhatia said:

Not really, I think they're required to interview everyone who applied for it. What does your portal say? Mine says "ESOP requested". Don't lose hope, they're yet to conduct interviews for a majority of us. Good luck! 

Portal says the same thing. I guess we still have some hope:

For the start in the academic year 2021/22 there will be assigned approximately 60 ESOP and approx. 30 ETH-D Scholarships.
The applications are evaluated by the Admissions Committees of the respective Master’s programmes. The final decision for awarding scholarships in the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme and in the ETH-D Scholarship rests with the Rector of the ETH. The exact number of annual scholarships depends on the availability of funds. The decisions are communicated by end of March. 

1 hour ago, ksfgota said:

Portal says the same thing. I guess we still have some hope:

For the start in the academic year 2021/22 there will be assigned approximately 60 ESOP and approx. 30 ETH-D Scholarships.
The applications are evaluated by the Admissions Committees of the respective Master’s programmes. The final decision for awarding scholarships in the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme and in the ETH-D Scholarship rests with the Rector of the ETH. The exact number of annual scholarships depends on the availability of funds. The decisions are communicated by end of March. 

Yeah, so there's definitely still hope. If they're conducting interviews, I guess we should start receiving mails regarding it this week. Fingers crossed!

Just got my results too. I got into Biology MSc for molecular health sciences!?

Although I didn't get an ESOP interview. Does that mean I didn't get the scholarship? 

PS. I've also received an offer from Max Planck in Germany. I would appreciate it if anyone had any info comparing Max Planck and ETH. I don't live in Europe so your experience would help me a lot! Tnx.

4 hours ago, Zizi468 said:

Although I didn't get an ESOP interview. Does that mean I didn't get the scholarship? 

PS. I've also received an offer from Max Planck in Germany. I would appreciate it if anyone had any info comparing Max Planck and ETH. I don't live in Europe so your experience would help me a lot! 

Congrats on both your offers!

I was interviewed a little over a month ago, and on the application website it says "ESOP requested" next to the status which says "decided." Not completely sure if that just means I requested the ESOP, or if the department has nominated me. I don't think an interview is absolutely required to be nominated by the department though. 

Unfortunately I'm not from Europe so I can't help you with the last question. All I'm aware of is that the cost of living in Zurich will be higher than anywhere else haha. 

Edited by ayushd718

32 minutes ago, ayushd718 said:

I was interviewed a little over a month ago, and on the application website it says "ESOP requested" next to the status which says "decided." Not completely sure if that just means I requested the ESOP, or if the department has nominated me. I don't think an interview is absolutely required to be nominated by the department though. 

Unfortunately I'm not from Europe so I can't help you with the last question. All I'm aware of is that the cost of living in Zurich will be higher than anywhere else haha. 

I had no interview, but it looks quite the same (ESOP requested). A student from the upper class told me that she received the ESOP without any interview.

Does anybody know what "ESOP requested" means? Is it a nomination from the department?

Edited by franc12

58 minutes ago, billie95 said:

I had no interview, but it looks quite the same (ESOP requested). A student from the upper class told me that she received the ESOP without any interview.

Does anybody know what "ESOP requested" means? Is it a nomination from the department?

I had an interview ~ 3 weeks ago and also have "ESOP requested" next to decided. I think it just means that you have submitted an ESOP application.

10 hours ago, Zizi468 said:

PS. I've also received an offer from Max Planck in Germany. I would appreciate it if anyone had any info comparing Max Planck and ETH. I don't live in Europe so your experience would help me a lot! Tnx.

Hey congrats. I'm slightly familiar with Germany but not gonna say too much here. It's probably one of it not the most affordable and citizen-centered developed country in the world imo. The essentials like rent and food are incredibly cheap (even compared to China or definitely Canada where I live). There's just been decades of excellent policies and planning to give people and especially students an easier time. As a student, you don't benefit from higher salaries in Switzerland, so it will certainly cost much much more if you don't have ESOP. Maybe hold both offers until you know the scholarship situation fully. If not, and the cost was an issue, I'd go with max planck. Btw from your name, chinese? :)

On 3/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, ayushd718 said:

Do you see the word "decided"? Or just "ESOP requested"? :) Thanks.