ETH Zurich [ETHZ] 2021: Admissions and ESOP/ETH-D Decisions

Lina-H

13 hours ago, bananabreadlover said:

So I know that they conducted interviews in previous years. But sure, it is completely possible that they have not decided yet. Moneywise, don't forget that, as a MACIS student, you will be able to work part time at the institute as research assistant. This should allow you to cover a significant share of your living costs. As for me, I think it should work out this way.. But this might also be because I am already based in the Zurich area..

@eli_nor great news! welcome to the club then :))

where are you guys from, if I might ask?

I am from Greece! 

13 hours ago, bananabreadlover said:

So I know that they conducted interviews in previous years. But sure, it is completely possible that they have not decided yet. Moneywise, don't forget that, as a MACIS student, you will be able to work part time at the institute as research assistant. This should allow you to cover a significant share of your living costs. As for me, I think it should work out this way.. But this might also be because I am already based in the Zurich area..

@eli_nor great news! welcome to the club then :))

where are you guys from, if I might ask?

I'm from the US!

10 hours ago, MariaRe said:

Yeah, Biotechnology guys! Any word on ESOP interview? 

By the way, how is ETH-D  distributed? If you're not interviewed, does it mean you're not nominated for the ESOP solely, but still have a chance on ETH-D? 

I haven't heard anything about the ESOP yet.. but it says you normally hear about that mid to end of March? Not sure if that's also for the interviews tho. 

As for ETH-D I am not really sure how that works either haha. I think if you clicked the box when you apply saying you also want to be considered for ETH-D they do consider you? 

For the folks who applied for Masters in Material Science, I have an update. 

I contacted the admissions office of the Materials Department and got this reply. 

Thank you for your enquiry.

The evaluation process takes several weeks. Applicants will receive their decision at the latest by the end of March 2021. However, you will get your decision already mid-March 2021.

We thank you for your patience.

Nearly 10 days to go for the results I guess. ?

10 minutes ago, curiousmind6 said:

For the folks who applied for Masters in Material Science, I have an update. 

I contacted the admissions office of the Materials Department and got this reply. 

Thank you for your enquiry.

The evaluation process takes several weeks. Applicants will receive their decision at the latest by the end of March 2021. However, you will get your decision already mid-March 2021.

We thank you for your patience.

Nearly 10 days to go for the results I guess. ?

Thank you for sharing this ? Is this from the admissions office of the entire master's program or the admissions committee of the materials department? I also wonder if this applies to all the applicants or just you specifically. Good luck!

Just now, Ottermax said:

Thank you for sharing this ? Is this from the admissions office of the entire master's program or the admissions committee of the materials department? I also wonder if this applies to all the applicants or just you specifically. Good luck!

This is from the Admissions committee of the materials department (D-MATL)

Also, I think this applies to everyone and hopefully puts an end to our endless waiting! ?

19 minutes ago, curiousmind6 said:

This is from the Admissions committee of the materials department (D-MATL)

Also, I think this applies to everyone and hopefully puts an end to our endless waiting! ?

? Wow that's good to know! If you don't mind, can you DM me the contact information? I was trying to find the information but haven't had much luck...

I have an offer from another institution that demands a really prompt reply, so I really wish to reach out to D-MATL as well. Thanks!

21 hours ago, Gaatha Bhatia said:

Not yet ?

I heard that people get ESOP interview invites in February before the program acceptance. Is it possible to still get ESOP/ETH-D if you have been admitted to the program but haven't received an interview invite yet?

2 hours ago, kdn said:

I heard that people get ESOP interview invites in February before the program acceptance. Is it possible to still get ESOP/ETH-D if you have been admitted to the program but haven't received an interview invite yet?

Yeah judging by previous years' forums, that seemed to be the case that they conducted interviews before confirming acceptance. They're doing things differently I guess. Maybe they figured it would make more sense to confirm acceptance first and then conduct interviews, or it could also be that they decided not to conduct interviews altogether. I remember reading that sometimes they used to offer the scholarships directly on the basis of your profile and proposal without an interview as well, although it was rare. Perhaps due to the pandemic they've decided to go that route to make things more convenient. All we can do is wait, really. ?

1 hour ago, felippemassi said:

what does it mean when the withdraw button in the application portal disappears?

I don't think it has any significance. In the last few years it disappeared for some people before they received their decision, but this year it didn't disappear for anybody so far. I received my acceptance last week and my withdraw button is still active. 

@antoineetantoine, no I haven't.

However  it was mentioned on their site that the scholarships results would be out approximately half a month/at the same time before/with the overall results.

That is why I was wondering about the scholarship without having any news on the acceptance yet.

I guess that if someone earns the scholarship, the position is also earned automatically.??

On 3/3/2021 at 12:53 PM, jasha64 said:

Anyone knows the progress of the Cyber Security MSc program? Seems from the result page that nothing happens since they sent out a lot of rejects on Feb 24. Quite anxious

Got my email today