Black in Grad School (Advice, Climate, Support, etc)

kathinated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, kathinated said:

I am a Chemistry PhD applicant and am curious about people's experiences (any program) at UChicago, U Cal schools, and University of Washington!

Black Women in STEM on Twitter may be of interest. Maybe also Blk + In Grad School and the accounts listed here.

Also, one can not go wrong reading posts by juilletmercredi, a moderator on this BB, especially this one

Edited by Sigaba
Typos

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of blackwomenphds IG account. It gives me motivation seeing other women in the game who look like me! I'm committed to the Econ/Public Policy program at Tufts in the Fall and very much looking forward to it. I am hoping to plug into a community of black graduate students in the Boston area. There area a lot of universities in the Boston area and I already happen to know a couple of other black grad students already in the area (a clinical psych PhD at Northwestern and an Engineering PhD at MIT), so I'm definitely tryna link up! Connecting with other black grad students and women of color on campus really enhanced my experience in my previous master's program and keeping connections with like minded colleagues has been a HUGE help in my current profession (i.e., government work outside of academia) so I know I gotta have that support network on this next piece of my journey. :) Thanks for making this thread!

• 1 month later...

Currently I'm at USC, who loves to talk about the number of first gen students they have and about being multi-cultural. My program is in fact quite diverse with a large African American/BIPOC population. Unfortunately the school has almost no one teaching that resembles us and quite a few people who are unable to talk about race and racism (pick your ism really) in an appropriate way. Not just my experience, but the feeling from a large group of students.

some of them have gone to the point of working against it. Check them out here==> https://www.change.org/AntiRacistCurriculumUSC

(I am learning a lot though!) 

On 1/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, kathinated said:

I am a Chemistry PhD applicant and am curious about people's experiences (any program) at UChicago, U Cal schools, and University of Washington!

I have a friend who attended UW for their MSW and has expressed a positive experience there. I can pass on questions if you have anything you specifically want to know about.