Fall 2021 MA Psychology thread

tallgradstudent

@wisworth Which school did you interview with (or was it both)? I haven't spoken with my PI yet, so I guess this is not a great sign. I'd love to hear back this week (honestly a rejection at this point would at least ease my anxiety, though knock on wood that that is not the case), but I suspect some of us may be in the dark for a bit while first-choice applicants accept or decline.

8 hours ago, ballpointpen said:

@wisworth Which school did you interview with (or was it both)? I haven't spoken with my PI yet, so I guess this is not a great sign. I'd love to hear back this week (honestly a rejection at this point would at least ease my anxiety, though knock on wood that that is not the case), but I suspect some of us may be in the dark for a bit while first-choice applicants accept or decline.

It was William and Mary. I haven't heard from Wake Forest yet. I 100% agree with your point, any news would be greater than no news at this point.

21 hours ago, ballpointpen said:

I got informed that offers are made for W&M!  I didn't get in. PI told me I am waitlisted but it seems like the chance is very low. Good luck with your applications!

42 minutes ago, wisworth said:

I got informed that offers are made for W&M!  I didn't get in. PI told me I am waitlisted but it seems like the chance is very low. Good luck with your applications!

I'm assuming since I haven't heard a word from them that I must have been rejected! Just wish they'd let me know sooner rather than later. Good luck with Wake Forest! Hopefully we'll get word soon.

@wisworthSorry to hear that. So they made offers already? Weird to hear since no one has posted acceptances on the results page, maybe they're just not on here. My PI told me they are still in the process of making decisions...this is killing me! When did you interview?

Edited by thaitea

Hey y'all! :) 

I applied to several PhD programs as well, but these are my MA programs: Sam Houston, NYU, Boston, University of Denver, and UHCL (a smaller university close to where I live in Houston!). I've heard back from one school so far, out of both categories... slightly losing my mind!! This is my first round of applications, so I'm just now familiarizing myself with the process (and the rejection lol). 

On 2/25/2021 at 11:11 AM, ballpointpen said:

Anyone heard any news (specifically about Wake Forest and William and Mary)? The silence on my end is making me feel less than optimistic...lol

I haven't either and applied to Wake Forest. You're not alone there. It might just be taking longer because of more applicants this year.

6 hours ago, freudleavemymumoutofit said:

If you guys don't mind me asking, when did you all submit your materials to the schools you're waiting to hear back from? 

I submitted my application to wake Forest about one week before the deadline. The deadline was Jan 15. The website specifically says they don’t begin reviewing applications until around Feb 1. 

Edited by K31D1Psych

I was accepted and offered funding to Wake Forest yesterday.

For the user who requested it:

GPA: 3.922 (English and Philosophy) GRE: 165V 156Q 5W. Initials of targeted PI was JP. I had a strong SOP and some interesting work experience, but no research experience. I've also spent this year taking Psych prereqs. 

Hold out hope if you're still waiting! I may not be accepting the offer, but I'm waiting on some other schools to make a final decision. 

1 hour ago, ballpointpen said:

I was accepted and offered funding to Wake Forest yesterday.

For the user who requested it:

GPA: 3.922 (English and Philosophy) GRE: 165V 156Q 5W. Initials of targeted PI was JP. I had a strong SOP and some interesting work experience, but no research experience. I've also spent this year taking Psych prereqs. 

Hold out hope if you're still waiting! I may not be accepting the offer, but I'm waiting on some other schools to make a final decision. 

Nice work. You clearly have some huge strengths. Interesting to see which metrics they seem to place more value on. How much of your SoP was about bullshit? ha.. (I listed that PI as well). Harry Frankfurt's essay on bullshit is actually one of my favorite papers ever, but I didn't mention that in my statements or anything because I never took any philosophy coursework. Did they also make offer without an interview? Will continue to hope against hope. Wishing you the very best of luck/outcomes in your process.

Edited by college_dropout

Hello! I am applying to Clinical Psych and Counseling Psychology Masters programs across the North East. I've been accepted to Immaculata Uni (PA), but been rejected from Towson (MD) and Frostburg (MD). I'm waiting on Bridgewater (MA), UC Colorado Springs (CO) and Montclaire (NJ). My dream school is Montclaire. I applied for everything in early January and summited all materials late January. I just emailed Colorado Springs today about their decision as I've seen most people on here have heard back and one girl said she had to email to find out she was rejected. 

22 hours ago, freudleavemymumoutofit said:

If you guys don't mind me asking, when did you all submit your materials to the schools you're waiting to hear back from? 

I submitted all my material on January 27th as most of my applications were due Feb-March

5 hours ago, college_dropout said:

damn, looks like first round of offers to Wake just went out today (I was not included). This is my top choice for a master's. Those participating in this thread who applied, did you receive positive news? If so, curious of your stats/initials of targeted PI, etc.

Invites for many schools do not necessarily go out all at once on the same day, especially per PI. I'm not sure if this helps. ? It would also be great if we could know whether or not it appeared as a mass email?

Edited by K31D1Psych

1 hour ago, K31D1Psych said:

Invites for many schools do not necessarily go out all at once on the same day, especially per PI. I'm not sure if this helps. ? It would also be great if we could know whether or not it appeared as a mass email?

yeah, what was posted in "results" said they found out today (with partial tuition remission), and then "ballpointpen" said they got their full offer yesterday. Seems doubtful from here on out, unless some unexpected movement happens around April 15th. That's a brutal 6 weeks to hold onto a sliver of hope. We're masochists I tell you.

46 minutes ago, college_dropout said:

yeah, what was posted in "results" said they found out today (with partial tuition remission), and then "ballpointpen" said they got their full offer yesterday. Seems doubtful from here on out, unless some unexpected movement happens around April 15th. That's a brutal 6 weeks to hold onto a sliver of hope. We're masochists I tell you.

They didn't say it was a "full" offer per se (full meaning full tuition plus stipend). I also thought, although unlikely, they could have also been the same person on the results. When you look at previous years for Wake Forest specifically, acceptances are way staggered from days apart, to a week apart, to even a month. Some had an email and phone call, others had only an email, and so on. It just seemed to really vary. So maybe after another week or so it'll be more clear. But most of my programs did not send them out all in one day. I'll be doubtful after another week or so! For now I am just going to wait and see.

But I mean don't get me wrong I am indeed a masochist too.

Edited by K31D1Psych