Fall 2021 MA Psychology thread

tallgradstudent

Creating a thread to discuss the range of masters programs for psych. 

Waiting to hear from: Columbia, NYU, American University, Wake Forest, Fordham. Anyone else just.... waiting...?

I have been watching the PhD forums, and am thrilled to see everyone receiving interviews/admits to their programs, but I feel as though the masters programs are much, much slower.  

Post below any updates you have to your programs! Not sure how many prospective MA students there are out there :)

Hi! I’m applying to the Psych Foundations in Ed MA program at U Minnesota. I’ve had a casual zoom with my PI before app was submitted, and had a zoom with two current grad students in his lab. I really really love the program! The deadline isn’t until March 1 though so it’s great seeing everyone else get good news but I have at least 2 more months of waiting ahead of me!!

14 hours ago, mattdamon said:

Hi! I’m applying to the Psych Foundations in Ed MA program at U Minnesota. I’ve had a casual zoom with my PI before app was submitted, and had a zoom with two current grad students in his lab. I really really love the program! The deadline isn’t until March 1 though so it’s great seeing everyone else get good news but I have at least 2 more months of waiting ahead of me!!

Hey! I actually live like 5 mins from the U - great program, I can give you tips/suggestions about living in the Twin Cities! What do you think you want to do after? Best of luck, sounds like you're off to a great start if you have zoomed with your PI and two current students! What other programs are you applying to? I was going to apply to U of MN MSW, but I really butchered the application, ended up submitting the wrong SOP lol. Keep me updated on the process!

4 minutes ago, nmoyers97 said:

Hey! I actually live like 5 mins from the U - great program, I can give you tips/suggestions about living in the Twin Cities! What do you think you want to do after? Best of luck, sounds like you're off to a great start if you have zoomed with your PI and two current students! What other programs are you applying to? I was going to apply to U of MN MSW, but I really butchered the application, ended up submitting the wrong SOP lol. Keep me updated on the process!

That’s awesome! Yeah I’m actually only applying to umn programs because my heart is set on the Twin Cities! Afterward I do want to get my PhD and ~hopefully~ eventually a faculty career! 

I am hoping it goes as well as I feel like it’s going! It sucks having to wait until end of March though haha, plenty of time to convince myself it’s not going well!

I applied to the PhD program in School Psych, but already got a rejection, for the same reason I had a really bad application for that program haha. I also am applying to the Dev Psych PhD program but I’m not too hopeful because of how competitive it is! But I’m okay with it, because like I said I love the Psych Foundations program!

Are you applying to any other UMN programs?

I’d love to talk more, I can DM you my discord if you have one!

2 hours ago, mattdamon said:

That’s awesome! Yeah I’m actually only applying to umn programs because my heart is set on the Twin Cities! Afterward I do want to get my PhD and ~hopefully~ eventually a faculty career! 

I am hoping it goes as well as I feel like it’s going! It sucks having to wait until end of March though haha, plenty of time to convince myself it’s not going well!

I applied to the PhD program in School Psych, but already got a rejection, for the same reason I had a really bad application for that program haha. I also am applying to the Dev Psych PhD program but I’m not too hopeful because of how competitive it is! But I’m okay with it, because like I said I love the Psych Foundations program!

Are you applying to any other UMN programs?

I’d love to talk more, I can DM you my discord if you have one!

The U is so incredibly competitive!  I agree, the wait is frustrating, especially if you're on top of things and applied weeks/months before the date. 

I don't have discord, should I get it? 

59 minutes ago, nmoyers97 said:

The U is so incredibly competitive!  I agree, the wait is frustrating, especially if you're on top of things and applied weeks/months before the date. 

I don't have discord, should I get it? 

I know! I think I have a decent shot at the MA program, and that will hopefully give me better chances of getting into their PhD programs later!

Discord is pretty great, there is actually a group of people that all use it that are applying to psych PhD programs! It's cool but also can be really distracting so its a toss up lol

Hello! I am applying to some MA programs. I am just as hopeful/happy about them as I am about PhD programs! I am heavily relying on them now. I applied to 2 (with 2 other PhD programs having me select the "I would like to be considered for the MA program" if I don't get an interview or acceptance into their PhD). So I guess you "could" say I applied to 4 MA programs haha. I may add on one more MA program or two in the next few weeks depending on how it looks for me. 

The outcomes for MA/MS programs do come out later. I agree it's hard for sure!

Edited by K3lD1Psych

45 minutes ago, mattdamon said:

I know! I think I have a decent shot at the MA program, and that will hopefully give me better chances of getting into their PhD programs later!

Discord is pretty great, there is actually a group of people that all use it that are applying to psych PhD programs! It's cool but also can be really distracting so its a toss up lol

I like the discord for the connections, resources, and updates,, but I agree. It overwhelmed the heck out of me, so I just quit going on it and deleted the app. I have access to it only when I selectively decide to go on it through my browser.

2 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

I like the discord for the connections, resources, and updates,, but I agree. It overwhelmed the heck out of me, so I just quit going on it and deleted the app. I have access to it only when I selectively decide to go on it through my browser.

Honestly, I am constantly on gradcafe/reddit, adding one more platform will NOT help my anxiety... hahaha *laughs nervously*

2 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Hello! I am applying to some MA programs. I am just as hopeful/happy about them as I am about PhD programs! I am heavily relying on them now. I applied to 2 (with 2 other PhD programs having me select the "I would like to be considered for the MA program" if I don't get an interview or acceptance into their PhD). So I guess you "could" say I applied to 4 MA programs haha. I may add on one more MA program or two in the next few weeks depending on how it looks for me. 

The outcomes for MA/MS programs do come out later. I agree it's hard for sure!

Also, can't remember if you've told me this, but out of your programs above, which ones were masters programs vs phd

14 minutes ago, nmoyers97 said:

Also, can't remember if you've told me this, but out of your programs above, which ones were masters programs vs phd

Just messaged you, since we were already in the process of messaging anyway! :D

On 1/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, K3lD1Psych said:

I meant the slack* 

Hello all,

I am new to this site but I am so happy I found it! I am MA based and finishing up my last year of undergrad in CT. I have applied to all MA/MS programs for School Psych and hoping to return to Boston to continue my graduate studies. So far, I have received interviews from three of the schools I applied to! 

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight/ general advice on what to expect for an interview... I have done plenty of research on the schools I applied to, but am getting very nervous for them haha and just trying to prepare myself!

Thanks so much in advance :)  

Hey all!

I'm applying to 3 masters right now and I hate this waiting part.

I got waitlisted at Wake Forest last year and I was number out of 9 accepted students for William and Mary so we're trying it again!

I'm applying to SDSU, William and Mary, and University of Dayton. 

Wishing all of you luck!

4 hours ago, neuropsychic123 said:

Hey all!

I got waitlisted at Wake Forest last year and I was number out of 9 accepted students for William and Mary so we're trying it again!

Wishing all of you luck!

I wish you luck with W&M, I went there for undergrad! Loved it, wishing you the best :)

On 1/26/2021 at 4:25 PM, neuropsychic123 said:

Hey all!

Wishing all of you luck!

What are your stats for Wake? Asking as I applied this year :) Thanks!

7 hours ago, psychnerd5798 said:

Does anyone have strong opinions on Northwestern Feinberg's MA or Towson's MA? Those are the only two I applied too but don't know much about their reputations...

I don’t necessarily have a strong opinion, but Towson seemed like a good program when I interviewed there last year. They offered me admission but I ended up rejecting the offer. I was concerned about the financial aspect of their program, and since I want a PhD in the long run I figured I’d focus on strengthening my apps for PhD programs. Feel free to message me if you have questions 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, gmarie216 said:

Hello all,

I am new to this site but I am so happy I found it! I am MA based and finishing up my last year of undergrad in CT. I have applied to all MA/MS programs for School Psych and hoping to return to Boston to continue my graduate studies. So far, I have received interviews from three of the schools I applied to! 

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight/ general advice on what to expect for an interview... I have done plenty of research on the schools I applied to, but am getting very nervous for them haha and just trying to prepare myself!

Thanks so much in advance :) 

Hello! I am also applying to schools in Mass for school psychology! Where did you apply/ who have you heard back from?? I’m nervous too!! I had one interview at William James and it wasn’t as nerve racking as I thought it would be. The group interview was a little awkward but otherwise it went well and the faculty were very kind and welcoming!

20 hours ago, thaitea said:

Hey @neuropsychic123, have you heard anything from W+M?

I got an email today asking if I was still interested and saying that initial decisions and meetings would be coming out shortly. I’ve been in contact with this professor for a while so idk if this is an “official” reaching out to plan on an interview or if it was just a courtesy to update where they are in the process. 

• 2 weeks later...