Fall 2021 MA Psychology thread

tallgradstudent

1 hour ago, K31D1Psych said:

They didn't say it was a "full" offer per se (full meaning full tuition plus stipend). I also thought, although unlikely, they could have also been the same person on the results. When you look at previous years for Wake Forest specifically, acceptances are way staggered from days apart, to a week apart, to even a month. Some had an email and phone call, others had only an email, and so on. It just seemed to really vary. So maybe after another week or so it'll be more clear. But most of my programs did not send them out all in one day. I'll be doubtful after another week or so! For now I am just going to wait and see.

But I mean don't get me wrong I am indeed a masochist too.

ahh yeah, astute eye there. My thing is, I know that even checking these sites is a sadistic process, because in reality the only *good* news will come by direct contact from the program. But yes in a small way, it is a relief to somewhat manage expectations. I'm not pursuing clinical either, so I can't even begin to fathom the competition you're facing. I have this intimation too, that even when the validation does come (if ever), that somehow it'll fade quicker than expected, and if I haven't already undertaken some inner work to the depth of complete release from the outcome, that it still won't be "enough". 

1 hour ago, college_dropout said:

ahh yeah, astute eye there. My thing is, I know that even checking these sites is a sadistic process, because in reality the only *good* news will come by direct contact from the program. But yes in a small way, it is a relief to somewhat manage expectations. I'm not pursuing clinical either, so I can't even begin to fathom the competition you're facing. I have this intimation too, that even when the validation does come (if ever), that somehow it'll fade quicker than expected, and if I haven't already undertaken some inner work to the depth of complete release from the outcome, that it still won't be "enough". 

I totally get what you're saying about how the only good news will come from the program. It's definitely true. On the bright side at least for me, I guess this site can help with planning? At least for me, I have found out about missing offers longggg before I am notified, which allows me to divert my attention to a different school, or plan for something like MA programs or post-bac positions. Then if I go to one of my partially funded MA programs, I need to know to fill out fafsa, and apply to scholarships by deadlines, etc. It has helped me I guess determine my next course of action when some programs can take so long to tell you that they already sent invites/acceptances. That is why I am here anyway. Also the occasional vent or question. :P 

Oh yes I am losing my mind on the clinical side. 4.0 overall GPA, 3+ years as a researcher and project manager, 3 years as a college level teaching assistant, 9 posters, invited talks/panel discussions, a university grant, publication, and way more, and ...... zero offers. lol. I had one interview to a PhD program with a very small chance (they are only admitting 3 students this year, and my advisor may not even get to admit one because 7 faculty were interviewing), but the offers only just went out. And as you mentioned, it can take until April 15th if people didn't accept it yet, or if we are waitlisted, etc. So yeah. Not a good cycle for me. Feels like I tried so hard, and now I am here and can't even get in. I guess I just want answers to figure out my next course of action, but there's all this uncertainty and wait until then.

Edited by K31D1Psych

On 3/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, freudleavemymumoutofit said:

If you guys don't mind me asking, when did you all submit your materials to the schools you're waiting to hear back from? 

I submitted most of mine sometime around the end of last year (2020). A few that had due dates in February / March, I submitted in early January. 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, ballpointpen said:

I was accepted and offered funding to Wake Forest yesterday.

For the user who requested it:

GPA: 3.922 (English and Philosophy) GRE: 165V 156Q 5W. Initials of targeted PI was JP. I had a strong SOP and some interesting work experience, but no research experience. I've also spent this year taking Psych prereqs. 

Hold out hope if you're still waiting! I may not be accepting the offer, but I'm waiting on some other schools to make a final decision. 

Ah we have very similar stats! I'm a current college senior (English/German/almost psych major with a 3.8 GPA; GRE was 165V 157Q 5W). Strong SOP and humanities research background but very limited psych research experience. Initials of targeted PI was CW but I also explained how I was interested in aspects of the work of like 4 other profs lol.

I'm the poster who got accepted to Wake Forest with partial funding on Wednesday; I got an informal email from the director of the program and the official acceptance letter was emailed to me a few hours later. 

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at this point; Wake Forest is my top choice but the idea of taking out a bunch in loans just for a master's when I'm planning to spend at least the next 7 years in school is not ideal for me (I'm planning to do a PhD in clinical/counseling psych but I'm interested in research). I was rejected from W&M, waitlisted at Villanova, I interviewed at U Dayton (and I'm still waiting to hear back on a final decision), and I'm interviewing at UNCW this weekend. Still waiting to hear back from CU Colorado Springs (though that doesn't look promising) and Ball State Clinical Psych. Good luck to everyone!! The waiting is truly terrible lol. I hate not being able to plan for the very near future/think about the prospect of ultimately not being able to go to any of the programs I applied to. 

Edited by mountainash84

12 hours ago, mountainash84 said:

Ah we have very similar stats! I'm a current college senior (English/German/almost psych major with a 3.8 GPA; GRE was 165V 157Q 5W). Strong SOP and humanities research background but very limited psych research experience. Initials of targeted PI was CW but I also explained how I was interested in aspects of the work of like 4 other profs lol.

I'm the poster who got accepted to Wake Forest with partial funding on Wednesday; I got an informal email from the director of the program and the official acceptance letter was emailed to me a few hours later. 

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at this point; Wake Forest is my top choice but the idea of taking out a bunch in loans just for a master's when I'm planning to spend at least the next 7 years in school is not ideal for me (I'm planning to do a PhD in clinical/counseling psych but I'm interested in research). I was rejected from W&M, waitlisted at Villanova, I interviewed at U Dayton (and I'm still waiting to hear back on a final decision), and I'm interviewing at UNCW this weekend. Still waiting to hear back from CU Colorado Springs (though that doesn't look promising) and Ball State Clinical Psych. Good luck to everyone!! The waiting is truly terrible lol. I hate not being able to plan for the very near future/think about the prospect of ultimately not being able to go to any of the programs I applied to. 

Hey there! What program are you interviewing for at UNCW?

On 3/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, freudleavemymumoutofit said:

If you guys don't mind me asking, when did you all submit your materials to the schools you're waiting to hear back from? 

I submitted my materials in early January. I've heard back from all but one school which makes me believe that one school will just be a rejection since it looks like other people have been accepted.

Hey, waiting to hear from Stony Brook University's MA program in general psychology, Baruch College's MA in Mental Health Counseling Program, Queens College's MS in Mental Health Counseling Program, and got accepted to Long Island University's MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and I have a 3.79 GPA. Anyone hear back yet? 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:04 PM, psych44 said:

I just checked my UT Dallas portal and saw I was accepted to the MS Psychology program!! If you've applied there, check your application status, it seems like they're rolling out decisions.

Wow congratulations!! still waiting to hear back from them myself!

On 3/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, Sillygal43 said:

Hello! I am applying to Clinical Psych and Counseling Psychology Masters programs across the North East. I've been accepted to Immaculata Uni (PA), but been rejected from Towson (MD) and Frostburg (MD). I'm waiting on Bridgewater (MA), UC Colorado Springs (CO) and Montclaire (NJ). My dream school is Montclaire. I applied for everything in early January and summited all materials late January. I just emailed Colorado Springs today about their decision as I've seen most people on here have heard back and one girl said she had to email to find out she was rejected. 

Do you mind me asking if you interviewed at Towson? Thanks and I wish you luck with the other schools!

1 hour ago, psychnerd5798 said:

Do you mind me asking if you interviewed at Towson? Thanks and I wish you luck with the other schools!

I did not. I only received an interview for Immaculata. I probably was cut before they even got to interviews. 

On 3/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, Tpsych21 said:

Hey, waiting to hear from Stony Brook University's MA program in general psychology, Baruch College's MA in Mental Health Counseling Program, Queens College's MS in Mental Health Counseling Program, and got accepted to Long Island University's MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and I have a 3.79 GPA. Anyone hear back yet? 

NYU got back to me today with a decision. Hope you got one, too!

I was admitted to NYU last week and the NSSR this week with a 55% scholarship. Does anyone know anything about the NYU program for Mental Health Counseling, is the reputation okay I see it is not CACREP accredited? I also read poor things about NSSR - how come?

I've been rejected from Baruch College so far, and am waiting to hear from Hunter and Columbia. I did not receive an interview for Columbia's Mental Health Counseling program - do they interview everyone?

Edited by lexi123

for people who might be on the same boat: I reached out to Wake Forest's graduate program director asking if they've extended all offers, and they got back to me today saying they're still reviewing applications and I should expect to hear back soon. I assumed rejection before since some offers have been extended, so does this means I'm on their waitlist? Oh well..

Best of luck to all of us who are waiting/making decisions!

On 3/10/2021 at 12:44 AM, NYSPSYCH said:

NYU got back to me today with a decision. Hope you got one, too!

How do you feel about this program and its recognition? I was a little worried because it is not CACREP accredited but I know NYU is recognized worldwide. I got accepted as well

On 3/3/2021 at 5:17 PM, CMHCapplicant said:

For the person who was excepted into NYU Steinhardt for Clinical Mental Health Counseling- Did you interview? 

No interview. Does anyone know if Teachers College interviews everyone for their counseling program? or only some applicants. I did not hear for an interview

16 hours ago, lexi123 said:

I was admitted to NYU last week and the NSSR this week with a 55% scholarship. Does anyone know anything about the NYU program for Mental Health Counseling, is the reputation okay I see it is not CACREP accredited? I also read poor things about NSSR - how come?

I've been rejected from Baruch College so far, and am waiting to hear from Hunter and Columbia. I did not receive an interview for Columbia's Mental Health Counseling program - do they interview everyone?

One of the biggest flaws with CACREP accreditation is that it requires that all faculty within the program have a PhD in Counselor Education. If you look at the faculty list at NYU, it looks like they are all psychologists. My university has a masters in counseling program, and they are not eligible for CACREP accreditation because the faculty are all psychologists and it is housed in the psychology department. However, the program meets the licensing standards of the state. I say all this to say that I would look beyond CACREP accreditation and look at the available clinical placements in the program and licensure rates. I would also look at cost. The average LPC does not make enough to justify six figured of student loan debt. Also, licensure requirements differ state to state. Programs typically align with the requirements of their state, so make sure if you think you may want to relocate after graduation that the program meets the educational requirements for licensure in the other states you may be considering. 

1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

One of the biggest flaws with CACREP accreditation is that it requires that all faculty within the program have a PhD in Counselor Education. If you look at the faculty list at NYU, it looks like they are all psychologists. My university has a masters in counseling program, and they are not eligible for CACREP accreditation because the faculty are all psychologists and it is housed in the psychology department. 

Wow I had no idea. That is a a flaw in accreditation to be honest... makes sense and thanks so much for explaining! And agreed about the student debt and salary hopefully ill hear back from Hunter. Not sure about teachers college still if they interview all masters applicants or not