MSW Applications UCLA, CSUN, CSULB, and CSULA (Fall 2021)

kycc

Hi everyone! I applied to the MSW programs at UCLA, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, and Cal State Los Angeles for Fall 2021 admittance. I am creating a space here so that others who have applied to any of these universities can share updates and support each other through this process. Outside of receiving confirmation emails that my materials have been received (I applied in late December), I have yet to hear from any of these schools regarding their admission decisions.

Below are a few questions I have to get the conversation going: 

1) Has anyone heard from any of these universities about their admission decisions? 
2) Do you know if any of these universities offer financial aid for their MSW programs, and if so, how much?
3) Has anyone been offered/completed an interview with CSUN? Any tips about the process or interview itself would be much appreciated! 

Best of luck to everyone!

HI! Thank you for creating this space! 

I applied to the MSW programs at UCLA, CSULB and CSULA for Fall 2021 as well! I also have not heard back :( 

I got an email from CSULB last week stating that they received my application but they still need to match my reference letters with my application (I applied late November). I am so anxious. One of my friends got admitted to CSULB's MSW program last year and they did provide her with some grants! 

Edited by njenni

Hi, thank you for making this thread! I’m new to grad cafe so I’m still learning how to use it. Anyways, is it okay if I suggest adding CSUF to this thread as well? I applied to CSULB, CSUF and UCLA. Below I wrote a summary of what I heard back so far from each school.

1. CSULB - Applied on 11/24. Got an email on 1/20 saying that they needed to match my reference letters to my application. I checked self service and got the following “We have received the documents needed to determine your University eligibility. The transcripts will be reviewed and if you meet the minimum requirements, your application will be forwarded to your intended CSULB academic department for their review.”

2. CSUF - on 1/14 I received an email inviting me to apply for the “Pa’lante Fellowship Program”, a need based scholarship due by March 2nd.

3. UCLA- nothing 

3 hours ago, Cnhl19 said:

Hi, thank you for making this thread! I’m new to grad cafe so I’m still learning how to use it. Anyways, is it okay if I suggest adding CSUF to this thread as well? I applied to CSULB, CSUF and UCLA. Below I wrote a summary of what I heard back so far from each school.

1. CSULB - Applied on 11/24. Got an email on 1/20 saying that they needed to match my reference letters to my application. I checked self service and got the following “We have received the documents needed to determine your University eligibility. The transcripts will be reviewed and if you meet the minimum requirements, your application will be forwarded to your intended CSULB academic department for their review.”

2. CSUF - on 1/14 I received an email inviting me to apply for the “Pa’lante Fellowship Program”, a need based scholarship due by March 2nd.

3. UCLA- nothing 

I also applied to CSUF and the only thing I have received thus far is the invitation for the "Pa'lante Fellowship Program" as well. 

Let's hope we hear back soon! 

I applied to CSULA. Still no response. My references had issues with submitting their letters. They kept getting kicked out of the portal. One of them submitted it on 1/15! I was sweating bullets but we made it fam!

This is my second time applying for my MSW. I first applied back in 2014 (TIME FLIES!!!) to CSUN (waitlisted then accepted), CSULA (accepted) and USC (accepted). I dropped out after my first semester. CSUN was definitely more nerve-racking because of the interview. I was a fresh grad then and did not know what I was doing. Good luck to everyone!

Applied to CSULA, UCLA, CSULB, CSUF

Applied to all schools around Late Oct ~ Early Nov. 

1) CSULB - Received an official admission letter on 2/1. 

Rest of schools - Still waiting. 

2) Not sure of any financial aid these schools are offering other than loans.

3) I can't speak for this as I did not apply to CSUN. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, mswSOUL said:

Applied to CSULA, UCLA, CSULB, CSUF

Applied to all schools around Late Oct ~ Early Nov. 

1) CSULB - Received an official admission letter on 2/1. 

Rest of schools - Still waiting. 

2) Not sure of any financial aid these schools are offering other than loans.

3) I can't speak for this as I did not apply to CSUN. 

CSU's, Brandman, APU, USC and UCLA offer grants for people who go into Child Welfare. The grant is called the University Consortium for Children and Families (UCCF). It is a federally funded program and partnership between the County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services and  Masters of Social Work programs in Southern California. Under the Title IV-E provision of the Social Security Act, the goal is to improve the professional preparation of public child welfare workers. Stipends are offered annually to 1st and 2nd year MSW students interested in public child welfare, who then agree to work for Los Angeles County DCFS for two years upon graduation.If you quit DCFS within those two years then you have to pay the loans back. 

Congrats on CSULB!

15 minutes ago, elbimbo said:

CSU's, Brandman, APU, USC and UCLA offer grants for people who go into Child Welfare. The grant is called the University Consortium for Children and Families (UCCF). It is a federally funded program and partnership between the County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services and  Masters of Social Work programs in Southern California. Under the Title IV-E provision of the Social Security Act, the goal is to improve the professional preparation of public child welfare workers. Stipends are offered annually to 1st and 2nd year MSW students interested in public child welfare, who then agree to work for Los Angeles County DCFS for two years upon graduation.If you quit DCFS within those two years then you have to pay the loans back. 

Congrats on CSULB!

Oh thank you for this. Totally wasn't aware of this lol. 

I applied to CSUN, CSULB, CSULA and CSUF.

So far I have not hear anything from CSUN, CSULA or CSUF.

I know that my application was forwarded to the department on 02/02 for CSULB so hopefully I get a decision soon.

I did get accepted to the 2 year program at CSUSB on 02/03 but it is not my first choice. I am still waiting for other schools to reply. 

I applied to UCLA (2yr), CSUN (2yr online), CSULB (2yr). This is what I've hear so far:

UCLA-nothing

CSUN- was invited to set up an interview for next week (received the email 2/12)

CSULB-my application was forwarded to the intended department on 2/8 and on 2/12 I received an email stating that my application packet was complete and it will now be forwarded for evaluation.

Congrats to those who have already heard back. Wishing everyone good luck!

1 hour ago, MSWyess said:

I applied to UCLA (2yr), CSUN (2yr online), CSULB (2yr). This is what I've hear so far:

UCLA-nothing

CSUN- was invited to set up an interview for next week (received the email 2/12)

CSULB-my application was forwarded to the intended department on 2/8 and on 2/12 I received an email stating that my application packet was complete and it will now be forwarded for evaluation.

Congrats to those who have already heard back. Wishing everyone good luck!

Awesome. Seems like CSUN is sending out interview emails now. :D 

I did not know that CSULB also send out if the application packet is complete, I did not receive that email. 

Just saw an update from UCLA Luskin on twitter posted 6 days ago! It says "Admissions update! Thank you to everyone who applied to our MSW program this year! Applications for Fall 21 are now closed and we are reviewing applications. Decisions will start going out in 2 weeks and continue through mid-March. Applications for Fall 22 will open in September!"

So decisions should start coming out on the 24th ☠️

20 hours ago, poodlegirl said:

Just saw an update from UCLA Luskin on twitter posted 6 days ago! It says "Admissions update! Thank you to everyone who applied to our MSW program this year! Applications for Fall 21 are now closed and we are reviewing applications. Decisions will start going out in 2 weeks and continue through mid-March. Applications for Fall 22 will open in September!"

So decisions should start coming out on the 24th ☠️

I'm on a facebook group with other people and some people heard back today! The anxiety continues ?

7 minutes ago, fiofarrell17 said:

I'm on a facebook group with other people and some people heard back today! The anxiety continues ?

Oh really?? I'll never know peace! I wonder if the people hearing back applied before the fellowship deadline...

Edited by poodlegirl

I received an email from UCLA today stating: 

" Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in our program.

We are closing out reviews for your application but it doesn’t look like we have your final official transcript on file. Please request an e-transcript sent to this email address directly from your school ASAP. Please note that we only need the official final transcript from the institution which awarded your degree and materials not received directly from the registrar are deemed ‘unofficial’. If you are still a student, please provide your final official transcript only once your degree has conferred." 

It honestly made me super anxious! I applied on December 15 and I applied for the fellowship. 

1 hour ago, njenni said:

I received an email from UCLA today stating: 

" Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in our program.

We are closing out reviews for your application but it doesn’t look like we have your final official transcript on file. Please request an e-transcript sent to this email address directly from your school ASAP. Please note that we only need the official final transcript from the institution which awarded your degree and materials not received directly from the registrar are deemed ‘unofficial’. If you are still a student, please provide your final official transcript only once your degree has conferred." 

It honestly made me super anxious! I applied on December 15 and I applied for the fellowship. 

I heard that schools ask for your official transcript when they want to accept you. That happened to me for program I applied to. The email sounds like good news to me. 

Did you apply for a specific fellowship or just to be considered for fellowships?

21 minutes ago, Y0gi said:

I heard that schools ask for your official transcript when they want to accept you. That happened to me for program I applied to. The email sounds like good news to me. 

Did you apply for a specific fellowship or just to be considered for fellowships?

That makes me feel better! Thank you. I'm trying my hardest not to get my hopes up, just in case. 

I stated I wanted to be considered for the graduate opportunity fellowship program (GOFP).

15 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I just got into Boston University! They sent me an email directly and I didn't have to check my portal. They're one of my top schools but they didn't give me any scholarships ?

Congratulations in getting into Boston University! 

2 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

I just got into Boston University! They sent me an email directly and I didn't have to check my portal. They're one of my top schools but they didn't give me any scholarships ?

same!! and I am very confused about that honestly..