2022 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neur0naut

Idk if this is of any helpful insight to anyone, or whether this would serve to boost your self-confidence, I personally care more about solid information. I have stats included in my rejection letter from a Duke program.

We received a record number of applications this year: 213! We normally get just over 100. We selected 23 of those 213 for an interview and will be able to make 7 offers of admission. We had very difficult choices to make. 

I think this program for Cognitive Neuroscience was smaller in terms of # of applicants, but regardless, getting an interview for any program is a big step for all of us. 

Edited by brkkmnkk

Hi everyone, new here but thought this might be helpful as I've found other people's posts regarding interviews helpful in figuring out where I may not be getting an interview.

I've received the following interview invites:

1. USC (emailed 12/17)

2. UCLA (emailed 12/17)

3. UC Irvine (emailed 12/19)

4. UCSD (emailed 12/20)

Good luck everyone!

18 hours ago, Testaccountg said:

How do the following neuroscience programs compare:

Vanderbilt

Duke

Princeton

Maryland

Berkeley

Hopefully difficult decision ahead o.o

Depends a lot on what you're looking to study.  How many labs in those schools are working on your field of interest? That's how I'd  start comparing them. 

17 hours ago, mdz said:

Hi! Did you hear back from the program? I saw on the result page that some students got interview offers in early December (Biomedical Sciences, no concentration specified). I was wondering whether each concentration/department sends out invites separately or not.

Hmm I have not heard back yet :( I also applied after they extended their deadline to December 1st (I think either 11/29 or 11/30). I'm not sure if you did the same but thinking that could also affect when invites get sent? Either way if I hear anything good or bad I'll let you know!

28 minutes ago, hj19 said:

Second year of applying. Getting nervous after seeing so many interview postings and empty mail box :(

Does anybody know if UW neuro is done sending interview invitation? I can only see one post... (Dec 15th)

The deadline to respond to the interview slots was yesterday, so I want to say yes.

If people declined then maybe they will go back and invite a couple more but I'm not sure how that works. 

I had dropped an email to UCSD about the status of my application and if interview invites were already sent out and here's the email i was sent..

Thank you for your interest in our Graduate Program. 

The status of your application can be viewed at any time on your Graduate Application account.  If your status is listed as “Under Review,” your application is complete and received. Your official admission decision will be sent to you via email. Notification of your admission decision may take several months and we appreciate your patience during the review process.

So maybe they are sending out more invites? God knows!!!! This is so stressful.

8 minutes ago, EpiBrains said:

I had dropped an email to UCSD about the status of my application and if interview invites were already sent out and here's the email i was sent..

Thank you for your interest in our Graduate Program. 

The status of your application can be viewed at any time on your Graduate Application account.  If your status is listed as “Under Review,” your application is complete and received. Your official admission decision will be sent to you via email. Notification of your admission decision may take several months and we appreciate your patience during the review process.

So maybe they are sending out more invites? God knows!!!! This is so stressful.

Does your application say Under Review? Wondering if those status are actually ever updated. 

8 minutes ago, Cellfies4dayz said:

Does your application say Under Review? Wondering if those status are actually ever updated. 

Just went and checked my status and it still said "Submitted" so I clicked and apparently one of my recommenders didn't submit their letter. I sent my application almost a month ago. ? 

1 hour ago, BlondeScience said:

Hmm I have not heard back yet :( I also applied after they extended their deadline to December 1st (I think either 11/29 or 11/30). I'm not sure if you did the same but thinking that could also affect when invites get sent? Either way if I hear anything good or bad I'll let you know!

I didn't hear from the program yet although I applied before 11/1 :( I reached out to the BMS admissions office earlier this week. If I hear back I'll let you know too. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, Cellfies4dayz said:

17 minutes ago, BlondeScience said:

Just went and checked my status and it still said "Submitted" so I clicked and apparently one of my recommenders didn't submit their letter. I sent my application almost a month ago. ? 

Mine still says "Submitted" and I have all green checks next to all action items. Pretty sure "Submitted" vs. "Under review" doesn't really mean much. Will just have to wait and see....

8 hours ago, Neuroimager said:

Mine still says "Submitted" and I have all green checks next to all action items. Pretty sure "Submitted" vs. "Under review" doesn't really mean much. Will just have to wait and see....

Mine also still says ‘Submitted’!

For the ‘Upload Materials’ section, do they display whether you have uploaded your Research Statement? Mine only says they have my Statement of Purpose and Transcript/CV ?

1 hour ago, wawawaka said:

I saw someone posted about MIT yesterday but then deleted it. Has MIT done with interviews? Does anyone know if they send out interviews for different tracks separately? Many thanks!

My POI told me two days ago that interviewee list will only be finalised mid January. Maybe someone has gotten an early interview invitation, but based on the information I have that would be highly unlikely. Some people get invitations to preliminary interviews in December (not to mix up with the main interviews in March).

33 minutes ago, TheNewScientist said:

Guys, I've just received an interview invitation for the NYU Neural Sciences Program. 

Congrats!! ? 

Do they offer multiple interview dates? And do you think they're sending them out in batches or all at once?

20 hours ago, sem12 said:

Congrats!!! Was this an official email or communication from a PI?

In previous years people have heard around this time as they finish the first batch now. You must be a clear admit. 

Thanks! This was an official email from the admissions committee to interview in March. 

Edited by aBrainDrain

2 hours ago, comp_neuro said:

My POI told me two days ago that interviewee list will only be finalised mid January. Maybe someone has gotten an early interview invitation, but based on the information I have that would be highly unlikely. Some people get invitations to preliminary interviews in December (not to mix up with the main interviews in March).

That’s weird…someone on this thread just said he received an official interview from MIT.

I applied to UCSD: BMS, UCSD: Neuro, UNC: BBSP, Duke: CMM/developmental, UWashington: MCB, UWashington Neuro.

UCSD: BMS) I received an interview --> one of my co-applicants messaged their director and he was told all interview invites have been sent out

UCSD: Neuro) I spoke to one of the members of the review committee and was told they're still deciding

UWashington: based on this forum, it seems invites have been sent so I did not receive an interview

UNC: BBSP) dunno yet 

Duke: CMM) dunno yet

If you know anything about UNC: BBSP or Duke: CMM please let me know! Good luck all!