Also received the $10k/year scholarship. Considering that I’m an LA-based applicant, I don’t see myself accepting the admission offer. Happy to have at least been offered a scholarship assuming the 20% rate of scholarship offers is accurate this year. For those who also received about the same amount, is NYU still an option? 

1 hour ago, van_96 said:

I applied to the MSPP, which is only a one year program but still has basically the same tuition as the two-year MPA since it's a 42 credit program, and got 15k off tuition from a "MS in Public Policy Scholarship." 

I also received this offer for the MSPP program. Wondering what your thoughts are about the cost/benefit of the program with it being one year + relatively new.

3 minutes ago, als14 said:

I also received this offer for the MSPP program. Wondering what your thoughts are about the cost/benefit of the program with it being one year + relatively new.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. One year saves a ton on the cost of living and eliminates the opportunity cost of not working full-time for another year, but the combination of how new the program is and how small it is means there's basically no alumni network. I don't know if it's smart to pay 80k+ to be a guinea pig. My current plan is to wait for the other schools I've applied to and use the best offer to leverage more scholarship money from the rest of the schools. If NYU doesn't pony up more (and I don't expect them to) then I'm probably leaning towards turning it down in favor of a more established/bigger program. Curious to hear your thoughts as well. 

57 minutes ago, anxious_coffee said:

Also received the $10k/year scholarship. Considering that I’m an LA-based applicant, I don’t see myself accepting the admission offer. Happy to have at least been offered a scholarship assuming the 20% rate of scholarship offers is accurate this year. For those who also received about the same amount, is NYU still an option? 

I think generally I'd be happy at any of the schools I applied to, so it's really going to come down to cost for me as well! This is the first school I've heard back from, though, so it'll def depend on my offers elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, lmappers said:

I think generally I'd be happy at any of the schools I applied to, so it's really going to come down to cost for me as well! This is the first school I've heard back from, though, so it'll def depend on my offers elsewhere.

Yeah, same here. I'd be happy to go to any of them but minimizing loans is ideal

On 3/2/2021 at 3:53 PM, van_96 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure either. One year saves a ton on the cost of living and eliminates the opportunity cost of not working full-time for another year, but the combination of how new the program is and how small it is means there's basically no alumni network. I don't know if it's smart to pay 80k+ to be a guinea pig. My current plan is to wait for the other schools I've applied to and use the best offer to leverage more scholarship money from the rest of the schools. If NYU doesn't pony up more (and I don't expect them to) then I'm probably leaning towards turning it down in favor of a more established/bigger program. Curious to hear your thoughts as well. 

Agree with everything you said here. The Wagner MPA alumni network seems a lot stronger relative to the MSPP being so new, and I wonder if the Wagner name on its own would be enough to access that same network. I also think the intensity and pace of the MSPP program is both a benefit and a drawback -- we'd learn so much so quickly, but I worry about not getting to experience other important aspects of graduate school like networking, attending events, getting involved in the community, etc. that it seems like a two-year program would more readily allow for. 

A little late to the party, but accepted (MPA) with 100% tuition scholarship. Would love to chat with y'all about the school. Also applied to HKS and a handful of MBA programs, but this was the first decision I received.

Edited by switters

Would anyone be interested in a "NYU Wagner Fall 2021 Admitted Students" facebook group or something similar, so we can get to know each other? I could make one and maybe the admissions office will help share it out

It sucks that the admitted students events will have to be virtual again this year.

9 hours ago, studious_kirby said:

Would anyone be interested in a "NYU Wagner Fall 2021 Admitted Students" facebook group or something similar, so we can get to know each other? I could make one and maybe the admissions office will help share it out

It sucks that the admitted students events will have to be virtual again this year.

I'd be down!

10 hours ago, studious_kirby said:

That would be great!

Here it is!

FB group for admitted students - NYU Wagner Fall 2021. Looking forward to connecting and congrats everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/190324186195289/

On 3/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, studious_kirby said:

14 hours ago, Shantaram said:

That would be great!

15 hours ago, switters said:

I'd be down!

Hey all, I’m super late (new to gradcafe, though I lurked a bit during application season when my anxiety allowed it haha).

Congrats to you all! I also was accepted and am super grateful to have received a 30% scholarship. I’m still waiting on one other program, but it’ll likely come down to funding for me too. Would love to connect, thanks for setting that up @studious_kirby

On 3/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, anxious_coffee said:

Did you apply to any LA schools? I am LA-based and am torn about staying or heading East. NYU is very attractive to me, but the initial funding was very bad. 

7 minutes ago, EC1225 said:

Did you apply to any LA schools? I am LA-based and am torn about staying or heading East. NYU is very attractive to me, but the initial funding was very bad. 

I got into UCLA but only got a $5k fellowship. I also got into UCI with a 50% scholarship, but I have concerns about its alumni program, strength of curriculum, and the fact their MPP is unranked. 

I’m still waiting on USC, and hoping to get a big scholarship from them. My friend just got in with a 75% scholarship. If I get the same or more, I’ll go to USC.

1 hour ago, anxious_coffee said:

I got into UCLA but only got a $5k fellowship. I also got into UCI with a 50% scholarship, but I have concerns about its alumni program, strength of curriculum, and the fact their MPP is unranked. 

I’m still waiting on USC, and hoping to get a big scholarship from them. My friend just got in with a 75% scholarship. If I get the same or more, I’ll go to USC.

Well, isn’t UCLA only like $25,000 a year for Angelenos? Because that’s almost the same price for USC with 75%!