Accepted but Waiting for Funding

StudyMom

My potential advisor basically told me "this is a big city, so you should be able to find a job". So let me get this straight, my funding will come from working at the local Burger King, and tuition remission will only be given if I work as a cashier, and not as a burger flipper. :evil:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

bump

Bringing this thread into 2010. Timeline requests from schools. It would be so great to

1) get an official letter [screw log on notifications. the rejections hurt more].

2) get an official funding letter. [notice how the two are not linked? WTF decision committees? why add more service hours, just get it done all at once].

two more months. seriously?

I have a question that I think fits here. I didn't want to start another thread for my (probably silly) question, at least. This is more on the back-end of how funding works for the schools, not how it appears to applicants/students. This is probably more relevant to humanities people than science people.

I've heard that a few schools I have applied to really try to gauge whether or not an applicant is interested in attending before they make a funding offer, explicitly because they nominate YOU as an individual for a university-wide fellowship of some sort. It's my impression that if you turn it down, it has a negative effect on the department (not your fault, obviously, everyone is making a choice) because they possibly won't be given as many fellowships in the future. I imagine that it goes something like "Oh, no botany students accepted our fellowships this year, so we're going to allot those to chemistry next year;" but then again, I'm not entirely sure.

It would also seem that this method of funding doesn't have a waitlist, but there seem to be waitlists for funding at some of these schools. If someone is nominated for a university-wide fellowship and they turn it down, can they then offer that fellowship to someone else? I didn't think that it worked that way. Is this really only the case if the funds are the department's funds explicitly, and not part of a university-wide pool?

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, I was just curious as to how this works. As far as the main topic of the thread goes, I'm in the same boat: I have some TA-ship offers, but it seems that it will be at least mid-March to find out if I've got any non-teaching support for a year or two anywhere. I'd be fine with being a TA right off the bat, but the non-teaching awards are generally worth more. Go figure! :)

It would also seem that this method of funding doesn't have a waitlist, but there seem to be waitlists for funding at some of these schools. If someone is nominated for a university-wide fellowship and they turn it down, can they then offer that fellowship to someone else? I didn't think that it worked that way. Is this really only the case if the funds are the department's funds explicitly, and not part of a university-wide pool?

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, I was just curious as to how this works. As far as the main topic of the thread goes, I'm in the same boat: I have some TA-ship offers, but it seems that it will be at least mid-March to find out if I've got any non-teaching support for a year or two anywhere. I'd be fine with being a TA right off the bat, but the non-teaching awards are generally worth more. Go figure! :)

Here's what I think: No, departments probably don't get knocked out of the running just because they had someone turn down a university-wide fellowship the year before. More likely, departments are told they can only nominate 2-3 students and they choose the best applicants in the pile or the ones that most want to enroll.

As far as I know, there are no waitlists for university-wide funding. The awards go out and that's it, whether those offered them turn them down or not.

I have a question that I think fits here. I didn't want to start another thread for my (probably silly) question, at least. This is more on the back-end of how funding works for the schools, not how it appears to applicants/students. This is probably more relevant to humanities people than science people.

I've heard that a few schools I have applied to really try to gauge whether or not an applicant is interested in attending before they make a funding offer, explicitly because they nominate YOU as an individual for a university-wide fellowship of some sort. It's my impression that if you turn it down, it has a negative effect on the department (not your fault, obviously, everyone is making a choice) because they possibly won't be given as many fellowships in the future. I imagine that it goes something like "Oh, no botany students accepted our fellowships this year, so we're going to allot those to chemistry next year;" but then again, I'm not entirely sure.

(To add to the above answer) I am sure the process may differ, but the schools that I know about do not have waitlists for the large, university wide fellowships. The general process is that people apply, they get considered for acceptance by the adcomm (skipping steps here, but whatevs), and tippytop candidates get nominated for university fellowships. Depending on the year & the funding situation, the numbers of applicants nominated can vary, as well as size of department. Those nominated go to the university fellowship committee, battle it out, and receive word on funding later. Much much later.

Schools delay funding after deciding on applicants for many reasons, and the big university fellowships you mention are just one of them. It is a good point you bring up, and a huge factor extending the deadline for notifications for anyone waiting on funding. I think it is probably in the department's best interest to let the applicant know that they are up for a fellowship, but maybe some let it come as a surprise. The results search page comes up with some 'accepted' results and funding with various big fellowship awards - so some schools do notify at the same time. What fellowship are you up for?

Professors/Adcomms have to write something to recommend the applicant for the fellowship. Maybe it is that you can really only attend with full funding, and would make a big difference to your field based on past accomplishments. Maybe professor likes you and thinks you will be a star. It is just a lot more paperwork, and no one would do it if they thought - from the outset- that you were stringing them on. Best intentions are at work, with the faculty trying to make grad life easier so you will produce more during your stay. And then get a job for their statistics. Maybe by nominating you then you will think - hey, that proffy really is nice. I will attend Suck U because they tried so hard to fund me.

If there is a big fellowship that you are up for, just google it + university. CVs will pop up from candidates who got the fellowship, and then promptly DECLINED for a better offer elsewhere.

If candidates are that fantastic, perhaps waiting is more difficult? How does one choose between millions in fellowships at Prestige U versus millions in fellowships at Elite U? It is sooooooooooo hard. I want to have the best time of my life and be fed grapes by lowly grads forced to TA on subsistence pay, while I lounge in fellowship heaven, but what if Prestige U offers caviar for dinner and Elite U has truffles? What to do. What to do.

If you get it, and turn it down - the money disappears that year. It doesn't change the numbers or bias choice the next year. The economy has a much bigger impact than your acceptance of a fellowship. Of course, you then have a responsibility to become better than the fellowship you turned down. No worries though.

"Oh, no botany students accepted our fellowships this year, so we're going to allot those to chemistry next year;"

HAhahahah. Who goes to school for botany? That is real?

Thanks for all of the info rising_star and unclelurker. I had assumed the process was somewhat like this, and I think I realize now where my misunderstanding came from about it affecting their options from year-to-year. What you all said makes perfect sense. I apologize for my ignorance! :)

Also, about botany, I just picked two random subjects. I'm sure someone goes to school for botany, though: see the end of SLC Punk! :)

I was accepted to a school in late January. A follow-up phone call, initiated by one of my potential advisers, told me they don't have a clear idea on funding yet, but they'd let me know. I just went to a visitation this weekend and was told that funding will be available, at least 25% (which gives full tuition and fees as well as a small stipend) and probably up to 50% but they weren't meeting until Monday to figure it all out.

It seemed to me that the profs needed to get together and figure out who was admitted and how many TA and RA positions they had available before they could send out official offers. I know a lot of them are waiting to hear about grants, and won't hear until late March. Obviously they don't want to wait that long to offer funding to potential students so they're figuring out what they definitely have.

I've already written my potential adviser saying I'm planning on accepting the offer if the funding comes through (worded tastefully of course). Hopefully that will encourage her to give me a better deal up front!

Also, about botany, I just picked two random subjects. I'm sure someone goes to school for botany, though: see the end of SLC Punk! :)

I need to watch that movie again, and apparently change my major. Or at least find a scene from the hellywood to inspire my garbage heap of study during grad school. Because I just want a full cardboard cutout action figure to put on the porch. Year round, not just halloween. Maybe that should be its own thread, movie quotes that describe your SOP better than 1000 words. I wonder how many botany people are on grad cafe, no one defended their field yet.

In honor of spozik-

"And now Mike, a good friend of mine, was gettin' out.

-What?

-I'm leaving. I'm going to Notre Dame.

- How could you do that?

- I'm... I gotta go to college.

-Mike, I'm gonna miss you, man. It's gonna suck around here without you.

- What's you major gonna be, dude?

- Botany.

- What's that?

- Plants.

-You're gonna study plants.

-I wanna save the rain forests. Somebody's gotta fight for them.

-Do you believe this guy? He's going off to save the plants. This guy was one of the most hard-core sons of bitches I ever met... and he's going off to save the plants.

I remember this time he was drunk... and he got the idea in his head that all the cars on his block... would look better without windows. Get down, bitch! He took 'em all on. They needed to call backup. Finally they got him in the back of a squad car. The cops thought he was on angel dust...

"The only way you could do it."

Not so. It was just Mike. He broke those goddamn handcuffs, kicked the window out of the car, drunk. That's it. Never got caught either. Story was all over the papers. It took weeks for us to get him to admit that it was him that had done it. Now he's going off to hug a tree."

Schools delay funding after deciding on applicants for many reasons, and the big university fellowships you mention are just one of them. It is a good point you bring up, and a huge factor extending the deadline for notifications for anyone waiting on funding. I think it is probably in the department's best interest to let the applicant know that they are up for a fellowship, but maybe some let it come as a surprise. The results search page comes up with some 'accepted' results and funding with various big fellowship awards - so some schools do notify at the same time. What fellowship are you up for?

In my experience, departments that nominate you for a university-wide fellowship are already willing to admit you with financial support, which they often offer as a placeholder until the results of the fellowship competition are known. And, it may not always be that much later. I heard from several schools about university-wide fellowships in early March.

It seemed to me that the profs needed to get together and figure out who was admitted and how many TA and RA positions they had available before they could send out official offers. I know a lot of them are waiting to hear about grants, and won't hear until late March. Obviously they don't want to wait that long to offer funding to potential students so they're figuring out what they definitely have.

It's not just grants they are waiting to hear about. They're also waiting to hear how much the university plans to award them in teaching funds. Often, that isn't set until the upcoming year's budget is finalized and budgets don't typically coincide with the academic calendar (many run July 1 to June 30). And, given the current fiscal situation, universities are frequently revising their budgets to deal with decreased funds given to them by the state, lower endowments, and increased financial aid for students.

If my current department waited until they knew how many RA and TA positions they would have available to extend offers, we wouldn't accept anyone until the first week of August, and they'd start their jobs about a week later. And, to be perfectly honest, we do admit people without funding for precisely this reason. Frequently, the university gives our department more tuition dollars than they originally said so that TAs can be hired to lead sections for gen ed courses. As a result, we end up extending funding to people that have already decided to come in the first week of August. So, while I see your point jeanne, I think it's important to keep in mind all the things that are in flux in a university aside from graduate admissions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody...

I am applying to ECE programs in some universities (7PhD 3MS). As of now, I have two rejects and one safe admit (U Minnesota TC). When I contacted UMN, I was told that aid decisions would be sent in first week of March. Can I influence the process in any way if I send mails to my potential advisors now? If so, do I mention about familiarity with recent work (through publications)?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, accepted a week go and won't hear about funding until "early April." All I know is that the head of my advisory committee recommended me for "the top financial aid slot." That sounds great, but it's so amorphous as to be almost meaningless. :(

My husband was accepted to the University of Arkansas Math program (Masters). We got the letter March 1st- but it did not mention funding :(. I called (he thought that was it, no funding offer, no going.) But the secretary said that they would send out offer letters separately by the end of this week. - Still no letter. And originally they said offers would be mentioned in the acceptance letters if there was one. AHH!

Anyway- I agree with the posts from 2008 on this thread- I'd rather have a rejection than an acceptance without funding- this wait is worse.

BTW- He applied to 6 other schools and has heard absolutely nothing from them! HEEELLLPPPPP I can't take the wait

It's not just grants they are waiting to hear about. They're also waiting to hear how much the university plans to award them in teaching funds. Often, that isn't set until the upcoming year's budget is finalized and budgets don't typically coincide with the academic calendar (many run July 1 to June 30). And, given the current fiscal situation, universities are frequently revising their budgets to deal with decreased funds given to them by the state, lower endowments, and increased financial aid for students.

If my current department waited until they knew how many RA and TA positions they would have available to extend offers, we wouldn't accept anyone until the first week of August, and they'd start their jobs about a week later. And, to be perfectly honest, we do admit people without funding for precisely this reason. Frequently, the university gives our department more tuition dollars than they originally said so that TAs can be hired to lead sections for gen ed courses. As a result, we end up extending funding to people that have already decided to come in the first week of August. So, while I see your point jeanne, I think it's important to keep in mind all the things that are in flux in a university aside from graduate admissions.

This is the situation I'm in: I'm getting unfunded offers with the assurance that departments "will do everything we can" or "consider it likely" they can find me a TA or RA position in early August or "when I arrive". It's a chance I'd probably be willing to take if I were moving across the country, but I'm international -- I have to supply proof of income (from that trust fund I don't have?) or a job when I apply for my visa, which means I need to have that position lined up inside school decision deadlines or I'll have to turn them down. It's a pretty sucky situation.

Hi all, this really sucks!! I was accepted to 2 schools so far- and nothing about funding! The one that accepted me last week (USC) has sent two big packets of admission info with nothing specific to me and no mention of funding. The other that sent me an acceptance email almost 3 weeks ago (UCSD) hasn't breathed a peep about funding! Naturally the only school I have left to hear from is my first choice.... figures!

I'm really debating if I should call the schools and badger them about money, or just wait to hear from them. The decide-by date isn't a month or more away, so it is really just annoying to wait than any actual trouble. While I've submitted my FAFSAs and asked for RA and TA positions, I just can't believe nobody has sent me anything on those yet... Even just to let me know it's still in the works or not. Does hearing nothing mean 'no', or just 'not yet'? I'm waiting for hear about the FLAS scholarships as well and I have to imagine they'd at least send me a rejection letter for that.

Does it seem like PHD students get more aid than MA applicants? Or does that vary from field to field?

I guess it's a relief to know I'm not the only person who is waiting on pins and needles for funding.. I only have one other friend applying for grad school and she received all her offers for funding with her acceptances on! Some days I tell myself that's just her and I'm me-- but other times I wonder 'why would a school give me money'!

I hope the news come soon and I hope it's good. Aid really will make or break my going to grad school.

i've been accepted without funding to CUNY's Anthro program. on the one hand, i've completely ecstatic because i feel the department is perfect for me and it's only 40 minutes away from where i live by subway train. on the other hand, i know i'll have to turn them down if i don't get funded. they've told me that i'm up for a university-wide fellowship (and the posts about some of the best candidates being nominated for these are totally boasting my academic confidence. lol. in addition, i've been contacted by two random faculty now that have just wanted to see if i have any questions and to encourage me to join next year's cohort. i'm hoping it's because it really is the case that they see me as a pretty strong candidate who can earn a university-wide fellowship) but i'm worried that i won't get that funding and don't know if i can/should be applying for assistantships... Anyone have any advice or knowledge about such a situation, especially at CUNY?

Sooo I got a letter today that I was nominated by my dept for the FLAS (already had been told by a faculty member via phone call) and would be told of my status once "funding was confirmed" in June. Does this mean if they get amount of money they're assuming that I will get the fellowship (ie I've already gotten past the competitive process) or are they just making me aware that I was nominated so I have incentive to go there? This is all really irrelevant since it's my top choice school and nowhere else has offered me anything but loans, I'm just curious and will probably go crazy by June!

I'm really having a hard time waiting on money. I've gotten into 4 schools, but no funding as of yet. I was told one school would let me know funding decisions in late March, but just one day one day seems so long to me now. Just not hearing from anyone about money is getting my spirits down.

So far, I've been accepted to 5/6 programs I've applied to (waiting to hear from one more... should be any day now), but I haven't heard anything about funding. It's driving me crazy. If I don't receive funding, I will probably have to attend my last choice because the others are just way too expensive without any financial assistance. It's not even a bad school, it's just that their program isn't really tailored for what I want to focus on. It's financially feasible, though, because it's in-state. When is it okay to ask if funding decisions have been made, and what's the best way to word such an inquiry? I don't want to be pushy, but it's getting closer and closer to April 15. I'm on edge!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything about funding either and it makes me happy that there are other people still waiting and haven't heard anything even though it is March 24!! (Well, I feel bad for you but I also feel good in a misery loves company kind of way.)

I applied to a MA-PhD program and has been offered a 4 year scholarship. After April 15 I will be notified by the department if I will be receiving a stipend. When should I notify the university of my acceptance? Before April 15 or after? If I notify the university before April 15 will it ruin my change to receive a stipend?

in the acceptance letter it stated " the Admissions Committee has also recommended that you be placed on our select waiting list for a corresponding cash stipend..."

I really want to go there. If I accept the offer now will it hurt my chance of getting the stipend?