2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

4 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Just the one post on Draft. Nothing else there or here. I live right by campus; maybe I should just walk over there and knock on Bosworth's door.

Apparently there were 5 acceptances in the Prose track and 5 in Poetry. I'm surprised we (we being Draft and this forum) haven't heard anything from any of the other 9 admits.

hi everyone! curious about the university of washington acceptance specifically, but is it common/possible for schools to notify accepted applicants on different days? it seems a bit strange that the applicant was notified via an email that stated a call would be coming soon, especially since no one else has posted an acceptance. thoughts?

4 hours ago, freddyfazbear said:

hi everyone! curious about the university of washington acceptance specifically, but is it common/possible for schools to notify accepted applicants on different days? it seems a bit strange that the applicant was notified via an email that stated a call would be coming soon, especially since no one else has posted an acceptance. thoughts?

-People SOMETIMES notify on different days, but usually it's like late one day and early the next. They send out notifications in batches, so if it's been 24 hours, it's usually safe to assume no notification = you weren't in the "notified" group (acceptance). you MIGHT still be on a waitlist, but the longer it goes without you being notified, the less likely that is. 

It's not strange that no one else posted an acceptance, since schools often only take like 5 people per genre, it's totally normal for only 1 of those people to be in draft/gradcafe. Also email and then call is a bit out of the ordinary, but makes sense, likely they don't have time to call for whatever reason, or they don't have enough specifics to be able to answer questions. 

If you haven't been informed, you can likely assume it's a rejection, but I guess hold out as much hope as you'd like *shrug. 

9 hours ago, koechophe said:

you MIGHT still be on a waitlist, but the longer it goes without you being notified, the less likely that is. 

A lot of schools send out waitlists a few days after acceptances, and given that the acceptance was on Friday, I think it's unlikely waitlist notifications have gone out yet. But that's just me, and maybe I too am clinging to hope. :)

On 2/12/2022 at 11:49 PM, koechophe said:

If you haven't been informed, you can likely assume it's a rejection, but I guess hold out as much hope as you'd like *shrug.

That *shrug* is exactly how I'm feeling this stage in the waiting game. I'm taking koechophe's lead on how to cope with the dull pain of submitting yourself to the anticipated chances that seem to be at best a coin toss. I'm going to furiously write, edit, and submit no matter how uninspired I feel. I've also been researching summer workshops. If I don't get into any grad programs this year, fingers crossed I have a workshop to look forward to come sunshine and longest days.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:00 AM, MDP said:

eware of contests when you're still building up a thick skin for rejection! Contests are usually a great way for a publication to make some money

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I paid the membership fee and submitted without thinking -_- but now I know for the future hah

On 2/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, koechophe said:

That should be enough to get started on if you want some variety, but here's a pretty good post listing off a bunch of magazines too (without tiering them like I do, but most of these are middling.) 

Thanks for the list!!! I'll start doing some research on the ones you mentioned and whatnot

4 hours ago, MDP said:

Yes, workshop offer still standing for anyone interested! I have a lot of spare time and workshopping is one of my favorite things to do, lol.

Anyone who needs this should take up MDP on this offer. They're extremely good at it and they make the whole thing so cool and fun too lol. They could be one of the best at it, I don't care what anyone says. ?

14 hours ago, neche said:

Anyone who needs this should take up MDP on this offer. They're extremely good at it and they make the whole thing so cool and fun too lol. They could be one of the best at it, I don't care what anyone says. ?

Ahhh this is so kind, thank you!! I really do love workshopping, and it's a pleasure to look at such great work :) 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, koechophe said:

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! 

(Here's hoping there won't be rejections again this year lol)

Welp, I didn't check my email yesterday once noon hit for this exact reason, but apparently UO doesn't count Valentine's Day as a real holiday. Was it UO that sent out rejection Valentines last year, or was it another program? Thanks UO, I didn't need to know on the 14th that you wouldn't, "Be Mine."

22 hours ago, koechophe said:

I also have slow days at work often too, so if anyone wants to send me things, feel free to shoot me a DM

Yeah, considering I'm starting to accept straight rejections as a real possibility, maybe I should start workshopping now to prep for my next attempt at applications. Are you applying for poetry or fiction?

1 hour ago, MissMosquito said:

Yeah, considering I'm starting to accept straight rejections as a real possibility, maybe I should start workshopping now to prep for my next attempt at applications. Are you applying for poetry or fiction?

I'm fiction. I know enough about poetry that I "could" be helpful (took some classes in it, write it occasionally) but am not an expert. 

Felicitations to everyone who tried again this year and need not try again!

I'd like to believe one of the 6 schools left has a phone call with my name on it, but it's difficult to clutch that dream and not confuse it for delusion.

However, @MDP was very courteous to look at my portfolio + an additional 'not ready to be seen by professionals' poem and gave valuable time to make detailed and insightful comments (that also weren't afraid to be honest, which is key!).  We pretty much agreed on what my primary deficiency is, haha, but I gathered there was overall enjoyment and satisfaction with the work itself, in progress as it is.  And yes, I definitely often bite more than I can chew, haha.

Some days we really have to harness hope from wherever place we can find it.  I've struggled with finding its hiding place more often lately, hope finding new and despicable places to keep away from me.  Today it was a stray Yeats comment, and tomorrow it will be something else...  But hope is here.

If I am not accepted into any schools, I will not be returning for a third try.  As a devoted acolyte of Sisyphus, I have to focus my boulder-rolling energy to other endeavors (like teaching overseas, finding new words for stale thoughts, eating a grapefruit with dirty toes on a South Pacific beach).

So, as a stranger to other strangers, passing on by the tides, toodles for now, and be sure to tend to yourselves.  It does no good to work with a hollow soul.

m.