2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

I applied to Rutgers for poetry, and if you're referring to the sidebar on the left, I think that's just stating what each step is named.  If it's "Under Review" it'll have a red check mark next to it, and if it's time to unveil the "Decision Made" that will have a red check mark too.  Both of those are currently still locked and the application remains pending with a "check back..." notice right in the upper-center of the main profile page.

If this is not what you're referring to, then disregard.  :)

1 minute ago, oubukibun said:

I applied to Rutgers for poetry, and if you're referring to the sidebar on the left, I think that's just stating what each step is named.  If it's "Under Review" it'll have a red check mark next to it, and if it's time to unveil the "Decision Made" that will have a red check mark too.  Both of those are currently still locked and the application remains pending with a "check back..." notice right in the upper-center of the main profile page.

If this is not what you're referring to, then disregard.  :)

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, freddyfazbear said:

has anyone heard anything from UBC? i know they usually notify around this time but i haven’t seen anything 

I haven't heard anything from them yet, but was expecting to hear back yesterday or today based on previous years' admissions timelines. Guess it's just delayed, because they seem to send out all decisions at the same time.

I've been kinda lurking over the last twenty-four hours as I keep seeing people Tweet about MFA acceptances and I'm so confused thinking I wouldn't hear back from schools until late next month. Sadly, just got rejected from UMich for Poetry this afternoon. (I say afternoon because I teach 6th grade ENL and only check my personal email after work.)

3 hours ago, freddyfazbear said:

has anyone heard anything from UBC? i know they usually notify around this time but i haven’t seen anything 

(new here) I go to ubc and from what I understand, it will be any day now. I was talking to a prof about it recently. :) 

@questioningquestions @palaver

I appreciate the support, but it's best not to respond to this person. They are a known troll who makes a string of new accounts every time their current one gets banned, and they've been coming to this site for ages. Around this time (when they start getting rejections) they get extremely bitter, and it's best not to feed that by replying.

19 minutes ago, poem for her said:

does anyone know how long it generally takes to get accepted into the draft facebook group (or if that process is super selective)? i'm hoping to find the other northwestern fiction admit, but i'm not sure using a quick, throwaway facebook account was the smartest idea ?

I had the same problem in that they wouldnt let my makeshift FB profile be. 

5 hours ago, xenawins said:

Started the morning out with the rejection from Mich. I feel better knowing at least!

...AND THEN I GOT NOTIFIED I'M ON THE WAITLIST AT ASU!! :D I'm so pleased, this makes waitlist #2 and just feels like a huge boost and validation, no matter what ends up happening. I'm going to keep on writing whether I end up in a program this year or not, but gosh, it always feels nice to be noticed!

Wow, amazing news. Congratulations. ? 

9 hours ago, poem for her said:

does anyone know how long it generally takes to get accepted into the draft facebook group (or if that process is super selective)? i'm hoping to find the other northwestern fiction admit, but i'm not sure using a quick, throwaway facebook account was the smartest idea ?

I did the same, they just take forever to accept. Like, weeks. 

There's also a questionnaire you have to fill out that I missed the first time.

19 hours ago, xenawins said:

Started the morning out with the rejection from Mich. I feel better knowing at least!

...AND THEN I GOT NOTIFIED I'M ON THE WAITLIST AT ASU!! :D I'm so pleased, this makes waitlist #2 and just feels like a huge boost and validation, no matter what ends up happening. I'm going to keep on writing whether I end up in a program this year or not, but gosh, it always feels nice to be noticed!

Xena does win! Woot woot! So happy for your second waitlist! Validation indeed! Keep writing, keep working!

I joined the Facebook draft group in November 2021. Initially it was interesting and helpful, but it also made me way more obsessive than I wanted to be. Eventually, I left, and while I was itching to rejoin and to obsessively check people's posts all day, I was truly relieved to be unable to do so. But then one wretched, dumb dumb day in early February, I caved and tried to rejoin, thinking it'd  take a while to be approved anyway, and maybe I'd change my mind in the interim. I was wrong. Unfortunately, I was immediately allowed back in -- apparently once you're accepted to a Facebook group you always have access to it even after you leave? I don't know how it works. Either way, I really freaking hate obsessively checking the group but now that I have access I cannot stop. My point is, you who are having trouble getting in, you are blessed and I envy you. 

3 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

I joined the Facebook draft group in November 2021. Initially it was interesting and helpful, but it also made me way more obsessive than I wanted to be. Eventually, I left, and while I was itching to rejoin and to obsessively check people's posts all day, I was truly relieved to be unable to do so. But then one wretched, dumb dumb day in early February, I caved and tried to rejoin, thinking it'd  take a while to be approved anyway, and maybe I'd change my mind in the interim. I was wrong. Unfortunately, I was immediately allowed back in -- apparently once you're accepted to a Facebook group you always have access to it even after you leave? I don't know how it works. Either way, I really freaking hate obsessively checking the group but now that I have access I cannot stop. My point is, you who are having trouble getting in, you are blessed and I envy you. 

haha…thanks. I probably wont worry with it then. 

3 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

Initially it was interesting and helpful, but it also made me way more obsessive than I wanted to be.

Totally get this. I actually deleted my Facebook altogether recently (wanting to reduce my internet footprint for some reason lately...digital decluttering.) I was in Draft during my first round of apps, and I very quickly grew to hate it. Too competitive, too much dick-measuring. Plus, I didn't like being able to see all the other applicants faces and names. You're extremely good looking AND you're racking up acceptances?! (looking skyward) God, I see what you've done for others... /s

I definitely get why people don't like it, but idk, I enjoy the vibe. There's a lot of congratulations for people, and also a lot of people who go there to gripe and lay off steam, and it seems fairly supportive from what I've seen. 

Mostly just saying this for anyone who's thinking about joining it, not the best for everyone, but I've had a positive experience with it *Shrug. 

19 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

Initially it was interesting and helpful, but it also made me way more obsessive than I wanted to be. 

It really does get your brain working in loops, likely because it's so active. I will say, I was in the Draft two years ago and this year's is much calmer and way better run. The admins this time around are extremely helpful and while there are a few "woe is me" posts, it's mostly just a super helpful place.

That said, it is pretty heart-wrenching to watch all the acceptance/waitlist posts come through for one of your top-choice schools. 

16 hours ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

I had the same problem in that they wouldnt let my makeshift FB profile be. 

I have a regular FB account that I hardly check, and even I gave up waiting for them to grant my request. I figured it was because I made the request so late in the game. ??‍♀️

1 hour ago, adwalker4394 said:

I will say, I was in the Draft two years ago and this year's is much calmer and way better run.

That's good to hear. Last time I was in there was also two years ago. From what I remember, there was a lot of hero-worshipping of certain applicants? Like, cult of personality around certain people in that group/ass-kissing energy which I found extremely offputting and cringe. Not that GradCafe is always a pristine environment but I do prefer this forum by a very large margin. 

9 minutes ago, Cindee said:

@MDP, one of the Draft admins reads the posts here, but doesn't post herself. If you mean you just got it, it was probably no coincidence.

Oh I didn't get into Draft. I was laughing at "I tend to make accounts there either very good looking or very ugly. I once made an account here on gradcafe with a pic of a girl with big breasts. All the guys tried to talk to it." That cracked me up against my better judgement. Thank you

Edited by MDP
typo