2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

5 minutes ago, Oryx said:

sadsadsa I got a call from an unknown NYC number and...it was the IT department :( I wish NYU would put out more notifications already.  

I feel ya. Looks like today is another slow day for notifications. Once NYU started making their calls on Tuesday, I was sure they'd all be out by the end of this week, but that seems unlikely now, given that they only did fully funded CNF and Poetry then (though there was one outlier comment on a Draft post saying they'd been notified for fiction).

Hello all! New here; stopped by to see if anyone had heard from the schools I'm still waiting on. I'll provide an update in hopes it will help someone else:

Accepted: UNCW (notified on Tuesday, February 22), waiting on teaching assistantship and funding information and was told I could expect that in the next week(ish).

I emailed the other schools to ask about when decisions will be made. Here's what I learned:

• Emerson - Late March (which, sheesh, means I will probably have to withdraw my app since other schools will want a decision from me before that!)
  • UBalt - Waiting on a reply
  • Pittsburgh - Waiting on a reply, but it looks like I was likely passed over considering others here have noted interview calls last week
  • Brown - Mid-March (but that information is available on their site)

Hope this helps!

27 minutes ago, JunieBaloonie said:

Pittsburgh - Waiting on a reply, but it looks like I was likely passed over considering others here have noted interview calls last week

Same here with these, though I saw that rejects typically hear back by mail so for all we know, rejection letters are in the mail for us ? but try to keep in mind with Pittsburgh that they only take 3 of each genre per year.

Brown, yeah it's on the site and I'm not mad at them right now.

1 hour ago, JunieBaloonie said:

Hello all! New here; stopped by to see if anyone had heard from the schools I'm still waiting on. I'll provide an update in hopes it will help someone else:

Accepted: UNCW (notified on Tuesday, February 22), waiting on teaching assistantship and funding information and was told I could expect that in the next week(ish).

I emailed the other schools to ask about when decisions will be made. Here's what I learned:

• Emerson - Late March (which, sheesh, means I will probably have to withdraw my app since other schools will want a decision from me before that!)
  • UBalt - Waiting on a reply
  • Pittsburgh - Waiting on a reply, but it looks like I was likely passed over considering others here have noted interview calls last week

Hope this helps!

I don't think you have to worry about making a decision by late March! Most grad programs abide by the April 15th deadline

20 minutes ago, questioningquestions said:

I have not heard back! I was just wondering since I haven't hear back from UT Austin at all yet

Last year looks like Michener notified on Fri 2/26 so tomorrow could very well be the day...

Edited by DeepSyntax

Looks like The New Writer's Project sent out their fiction acceptances today. Someone just posted in Draft. There were three acceptances, apparently. I didn't apply there, but I know many here did, so thought I'd post this information!

13 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

Looks like The New Writer's Project sent out their fiction acceptances today. Someone just posted in Draft. There were three acceptances, apparently. I didn't apply there, but I know many here did, so thought I'd post this information!

They'll probably start notifying poetry soon enough then!! I'm pre-grieving the loss I'm about to experience lol my portal is still listing my application as "in review" with no updates...

Has anyone heard from Iowa/IWW for poetry? I know two acceptances were reported, but it's been weirdly quiet here and on Draft (I don't think anyone has posted an acceptance outside of the two on results). 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, MDP said:

Does anyone else ever have the perverse urge to write stupid CVS paperbacks under a penname to make money? Like, those harlequin romance ones that they sell for five bucks in the greeting card aisle

I actually knew a guy who started doing this! I'm not sure any of his work has ended up in a grocery store aisle rack, but he definitely planned to self-publish steamy, soft-core romance novels via Amazon. And he graduated with an MFA degree in fiction from a fully-funded program! So I guess that urge never goes away, no matter how far you get with your writing.

18 hours ago, questioningquestions said:

Did anyone else apply to Michener for either genre and hear back?

I applied to MCW in poetry and no word yet. Last year, the Michener acceptances came out a day before the New Writer's Project (also at UT) and I saw on the results page that someone got a call with acceptance for the New Writer's Project in fiction. 

8 minutes ago, MissMosquito said:

I applied to MCW in poetry and no word yet. Last year, the Michener acceptances came out a day before the New Writer's Project (also at UT) and I saw on the results page that someone got a call with acceptance for the New Writer's Project in fiction. 

I'm shaking in my Brokeback mountain cowboy boots rn ? Hope we hear back soon because I've been refreshing the MyStatus portal dang near every minute after seeing that fiction acceptance!

12 hours ago, questioningquestions said:

They'll probably start notifying poetry soon enough then!! I'm pre-grieving the loss I'm about to experience lol my portal is still listing my application as "in review" with no updates...

Same! I think I'm in "pre-grieving the loss" for this entire process. I'm from Austin, and my fiancé was banking on me getting into UT so we wouldn't have to move. With six rejections so far, it's hard not to assume that I won't be going anywhere next year as far as writing is concerned. Back to scrounging for crumbs with more online creative writing courses and publications with fledgling, no-name lit mags. I'm really in a negative place with all this. I read an entire book on my day off yesterday just so I wouldn't have to think about grad apps. Phenomenal book by the way. Has anyone else on here read Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward? Maybe I should take up a new hobby? I keep seeing rug tufting accounts on IG, and think I want to do that! At least with rug making, once it's done, I don't have to find a home for it like I feel I need to do with my poetry. If no one else wants it, I can just put the rug on my floor! Now my homeless poems, what to do with those? Any ideas? Maybe I could collage them with printouts of all my rejection emails.

17 minutes ago, questioningquestions said:

I'm shaking in my Brokeback mountain cowboy boots rn ? Hope we hear back soon because I've been refreshing the MyStatus portal dang near every minute after seeing that fiction acceptance!

Please make that a line of soft-core, Brokeback romance poetry! I'd pick that up from a CVS rack, scan, purchase and walk out proud without a bag.

I'm assuming you're applying for poetry. Did you apply to both NWP and MCW, or just MCW? 

33 minutes ago, maybenot14 said:

Interview invite at University of Miami (Fl)!!! Very excited, this is my first time applying to programs and this is the only one I applied to/my dream school. Anyone know how the interviews at this school go? If not, does anyone know if interviews are indicative of anything?

Congratulations, that’s awesome!