2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

1 hour ago, retrotyping said:

I can try! You mean waitlist movement for them? Or just generally any updates?  

Any waitlist updates for UofSC would be helpful! Thanks a lot for following up! 

I wish you the best of luck for the remainder of the season, though you probably dont need it with acceptances already underway. 

2 hours ago, Roalddahli said:

Is U of SC a good program? I don't hear much about it but I'm on the waitlist as well. I don't know what to feel about it.

From what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be. I certainly like it from everything I’ve gathered through reading, hearing, et cetera. I’d definitely go. 

Are you a fiction applicant? 

Accepted at Florida International University (FIU) in fiction with assistantship and stipend. Very welcoming phone call with Les Staniford. Entering fiction cohort of about 8. Emphasis in the program on output and "reaching your audience." Sounds really good.

15 hours ago, Roalddahli said:

Yeah, I'm a fiction applicant! Did they tell you where you are on the waitlist/how long it is?

Hey there! They told me the waitlist was 12 people long. I emailed the director for my ranking and they provided it, so I would reach out if you’re curious! It does look like poetry spots are starting to open up, and I saw at least 1 fiction spot open up, but I suspect there will be more movement there as some of the draft posters seems to be accepted to multiple programs in addition to South Carolina. 

Edited by retrotyping

21 minutes ago, eatpraylovelove said:

Hi guys. I’m waitlisted at Columbia and Sarah Lawrence. Wonder if I have a chance at all. Does anyone know ppl who eventually got in from waitlist?

I’ve seen a lot of people who are negative/unsure about their Columbia offers. I wouldn’t be surprised at all of they go to their waitlist but I would also not count on funding from them. I know at least 1 person in poetry and 1 person in fiction (both from draft) are turning down their offers at Sarah Lawrence — not sure if they’ve officially declined yet. 

Edited by retrotyping

21 minutes ago, retrotyping said:

Hey there! They told me the waitlist was 12 people long. I emailed the director for my ranking and they provided it, so I would reach out if you’re curious! It does look like poetry spots are starting to open up, and I saw at least 1 fiction spot open up, but I suspect there will be more movement there as some of the draft posters seems to be accepted to multiple programs in addition to South Carolina. 

Thanks for the news! Though I dont know where you rank on the list, best of luck to you! 

2 hours ago, immyc said:

Anyone seen anything on Draft about Cornell? Waitlist Limbo is officially killing me! 

Just want to say that I feel you and understand the anguish! I'm accepted to one school with a funding offer I can't really consider and waitlisted at four. Trying to distract myself as much as possible. Hope you're able to stay sane!

33 minutes ago, fier said:

Just want to say that I feel you and understand the anguish! I'm accepted to one school with a funding offer I can't really consider and waitlisted at four. Trying to distract myself as much as possible. Hope you're able to stay sane!

I really appreciate it! I'm a first time applicant and was a bit naive about how competitive this whole thing really was. I didn't get in anywhere else, so if I don't get off the Cornell waitlist I guess I'll be revising my statement of purpose for next year... my fingers are crossed for you getting in somewhere amazing! 

18 minutes ago, immyc said:

I really appreciate it! I'm a first time applicant and was a bit naive about how competitive this whole thing really was. I didn't get in anywhere else, so if I don't get off the Cornell waitlist I guess I'll be revising my statement of purpose for next year... my fingers are crossed for you getting in somewhere amazing! 

It's an insanely competitive process. I'm a first time applicant, too, and though I knew what the odds were going into it, the past few months have still sustained an impressive level of anxiety. 

What an achievement though, to earn a spot on Cornell's waitlist! And thank you! I'm crossing my fingers for you, too, and regardless of the outcome I hope you can view it as a validation of your writing.

Edited by fier

4 hours ago, immyc said:

I'm in a similar position to yours so I feel you! First time applying, waitlisted at Syracuse and only got into Columbia (which I can't afford) - I know it's tough but we have to stay strong these last two weeks! Best of luck to you :)

Edited by Nicolas M.

Okay uhhhhhh…I just got accepted off the waitlist at Hollins, full funding, whole shebang????? I’m in shock to be honest. Seriously haven’t even processed this at ALL. I got the email as I was on the phone with my big sister — I was telling her that I was pretty much at peace about not going to an MFA this fall / that I wasn’t expecting to switch jobs or really do anything big any time soon. The MOMENT those words left my mouth, I got the acceptance email.

As we say in AA, don’t quit until the miracle happens :) WOW

Woo-hoo!  Congrats!  Talk about kismet...  :D

This question is for anyone on Draft: What has been heard concerning Rutgers-Camden?  I swear it's the most infuriating silence for seemingly being so unnecessary.  Also, any word on anyone dropping from Fairbanks or New Orleans as far as funding goes?

Cheers, y'all!