PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

18 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

Same. I led the Epi department for 3 Manhattan hospitals through the epicenter of COVID, authored an infection control textbook chapter, multiple publications, significant community volunteer assignments since 2011. I don’t know what else I can be doing to make myself a better applicant?

What track did you apply to?

This community is so supportive and wonderful. Thank you both so much! ??? It helps the sting a little bit lol. 

I only applied to JHU- health security track. I’m convinced this is the only program for me so I put all my eggs in one (tiny) basket.  I’m going to try to talk to someone for some coaching to see how I can better jump back on the saddle next year

33 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

Same. I led the Epi department for 3 Manhattan hospitals through the epicenter of COVID, authored an infection control textbook chapter, multiple publications, significant community volunteer assignments since 2011. I don’t know what else I can be doing to make myself a better applicant?

14 minutes ago, Purpley said:

What track did you apply to?

2 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

This community is so supportive and wonderful. Thank you both so much! ??? It helps the sting a little bit lol. 

I only applied to JHU- health security track. I’m convinced this is the only program for me so I put all my eggs in one (tiny) basket.  I’m going to try to talk to someone for some coaching to see how I can better jump back on the saddle next year

I just saw a post that you applied to the Environment Health/Health Security track. 
JHU is the only program I applied to as well, so I understand how much it stings. 
For what it's worth, I think that you are an excellent candidate and I wonder if you would be a better candidate for a different DrPH track. 

I applied to the HPM Public Health Informatics track and from my interview, it seemed they were looking for someone with your kind of experience doing epi work in a hospital setting. I think it might be worth looking at the other tracks of the HPM concentration. Someone with your experience will be a better fit for the tracks in that concentration. 
You actually have the experience I wish I had when applying this year. So, keep your chin up!!

11 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

Don’t give up if it’s the track you see yourself in. Like I wrote in my post, I was rejected twice. This time around, I pretty much threw in everything that I planned to do, outlining my thesis. Not sure if that was too much but I’d to throw in all my chips in this one because this was the track I wanted get into.

1 hour ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Side note: I also have a little human - he's 3.5 years old, and I am both terrified and excited at the thought of juggling a DrPH program, work and raising him. God speed to the both of us :). Maybe this topic deserves it's own dedicated post, lol.  

Yes! I have a 3 and a 7 y/o. The 3 year old has been home with me because of COVID, and I work full time from home. I'm dying. But, she goes to school in the fall so I figured I could finally apply for my doctorate! We're rockstars ?  

***I'm also sensitive to anyone going through infertility who wants to be in the rockstar club. You are rockstars. It took me 8 rounds of IVF and 4 pregnancies to get my second.

3 hours ago, DrPHPlans said:

I think I'm going to Rutgers. And I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else get decisions from them. Maybe I've missed something? 

So far:

Accepted: Rutgers

Rejected: UNC, Hopkins

Waiting: UIC

UIC is a great program, but Rutgers just speaks to be a bit more so I'm about ready to confirm even without hearing from UIC. I'm glad to have the Hopkins decision out of the way. This does seem like an extra crazy cycle. I've been waiting to apply for my DrPH since I finished my MPH in 2015 (was busy with work and making 2 humans), so I've been keeping an eye on them and they've really gotten a lot tougher to get into, it seems! 

What is the Columbia Global Health & Humanitarian program? Sounds interesting. Rutgers sounds amazing too. 

I also had poor luck this year. I also don't know how to make myself a stronger applicant, maybe just time and a dash of luck...I too have many first author pubs (some in Lancet, JAMA etc..) Am a country rep to the WHO, have ++ years research experience, have a 10-year annual charity thing that I love and am a clinician! I aimed high but didnt even get interviews anywhere!  Ive also been told theres alot that goes on behind the scenes. For example, funding etc... Oh well, another year without any crazy responsibilities I suppose!

Edited by vancouverrunner

1 hour ago, vancouverrunner said:

What is the Columbia Global Health & Humanitarian program? Sounds interesting. Rutgers sounds amazing too. 

I also had poor luck this year. I also don't know how to make myself a stronger applicant, maybe just time and a dash of luck...I too have many first author pubs (some in Lancet, JAMA etc..) Am a country rep to the WHO, have ++ years research experience, have a 10-year annual charity thing that I love and am a clinician! I aimed high but didnt even get interviews anywhere!  Ive also been told theres alot that goes on behind the scenes. For example, funding etc... Oh well, another year without any crazy responsibilities I suppose!

I just want to say you're everything I want to be. I'm going to a PhD program so that one day I could be at a position you're at right now. You don't need a doctoral degree to prove how amazing you are. You're already a superstar!

4 minutes ago, offersmakeitrain said:

I just want to say you're everything I want to be. I'm going to a PhD program so that one day I could be at a position you're at right now. You don't need a doctoral degree to prove how amazing you are. You're already a superstar!

Thats such a sweet thing to say. Honestly. I should caveat all of that by saying I am in my mid-thirties and all of that took time. I started by undergrad at 25 after a tough youth. I want a PhD to lead my own research. I am chronically applying for grants for other people, and ignoring the gaps I experience. I love my life though and am able to wait another year. But thought I would chime in to say even us oldies (with lots of experience!) are having a tough time. In a field where everyone is superstars, the stars need to align with a small dose of luck :)

Edited by vancouverrunner

On 2/25/2022 at 11:54 AM, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Accepted by UNC Health Policy and Management (Organization and Implementation Science minor). Two years of guaranteed funding. Starting third year student seek their own funding, email says~98% are able to secure funding, 61% on fellowship/dissertation award, 30% RA and 7% TA. 

Hi. Congratulations! I got accepted to UNC too. But MCH program. Did they send you funding info along with admission letter/ offer? I just got the acceptance letter. They said that funding was very tight for the program. I am still not sure about making my final decision. I ma an international student. 

10 minutes ago, PhDphfinal said:

Hi. Congratulations! I got accepted to UNC too. But MCH program. Did they send you funding info along with admission letter/ offer? I just got the acceptance letter. They said that funding was very tight for the program. I am still not sure about making my final decision. I ma an international student. 

Hi I am an international student too. I believe for UNC different departments have different funding packages. For HPM, its guaranteed two years then seeking own funding through fellowship/dissertation grant/RA/TA. [I did not get university level fellowship]. I do not know if the stipend level would be the same across all departments. 

In my unofficial offer email they provided an estimated amount of award, but the numbers do not add up. (>$60K for in-state, <$100k for out of state, I think they are referring to 2 yrs total including tuition, insurance, and stipend, but oos tuition alone is ~$35k/year and if you use in-state tuition vs oos tuition to calculate stipend amount you would get different numbers based on the two numbers provided. Maybe they assumed that oos student will establish residency after year 1? But international students can't establish state residency I think? At least not in my state and not in CA). The orientation is end of March so I probably will attend that for more info just out of curiosity. I do plan to do an expense-paid campus visit but to be honest I think my chance of accepting this offer is very low. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

8 minutes ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Hi I am an international student too. I believe for UNC different departments have different funding packages. For HPM, its guaranteed two years then seeking own funding through fellowship/dissertation grant/RA/TA. [I did not get university level fellowship]. I do not know if the stipend level would be the same across all departments. 

In my unofficial offer email they provided an estimated amount of award, but the numbers do not add up. (>$60K for in-state, <$100k for out of state, I think they are referring to 2 yrs total including tuition, insurance, and stipend, but oos tuition alone is ~$35k/year and if you use in-state tuition vs oos tuition to calculate stipend amount you would get different numbers based on the two numbers provided. Maybe they assumed that oos student will establish residency after year 1? But international students can't establish state residency I think? At least not in my state and not in CA). The orientation is end of March so I probably will attend that for more info just out of curiosity. I do plan to do an expense-paid campus visit but to be honest I think my chance of accepting this offer is very low. 

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Right, international students cannot establish in-state status after an year. MCH program doesn't seem to be good at funding too. So, my chances of joining are scarce too. You mentioned about expense paid visit. What does that mean. I am sorry not versed with many such terminologies  

17 minutes ago, PhDphfinal said:

I've been accepted into the MCH program as well. My assigned faculty mentor told me to expect a letter detailing funding information soon. I assume soon means this week? 

1 minute ago, publichealthPhD said:

I've been accepted into the MCH program as well. My assigned faculty mentor told me to expect a letter detailing funding information soon. I assume soon means this week? 

Hi. Congratulations. I got acceptance letter almost a month back and haven't heard about funding yet. So, I am bit sceptical about mine. Are you an international student? 

1 minute ago, PhDphfinal said:

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Right, international students cannot establish in-state status after an year. MCH program doesn't seem to be good at funding too. So, my chances of joining are scarce too. You mentioned about expense paid visit. What does that mean. I am sorry not versed with many such terminologies  

In my unofficial offer letter they mentioned that if I want to visit campus in person this spring, they can provide money to cover travel. I contacted the administration but did not receive a reply about details yet. Some programs would do this and some don't, especially with COVID it varies a lot. 

There is a lot of information not available for international students so glad I can help in anyway that I could!  

1 minute ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

In my unofficial offer letter they mentioned that if I want to visit campus in person this spring, they can provide money to cover travel. I contacted the administration but did not receive a reply about details yet. Some programs would do this and some don't, especially with COVID it varies a lot. 

There is a lot of information not available for international students so glad I can help in anyway that I could!  

Hey. Thanks a lot. Will be writing to the admin of my department.

38 minutes ago, EpiHopeful22 said:

Did anyone who was accepted into the UNC epi program hear about funding yet? I received an offer and a little disappointed about the stipend :/. I am really excited about the program, but seeing the stipend offer was a little sad...

may i ask how much is the $? 

4 hours ago, DrPHPlans said:

Yes! I have a 3 and a 7 y/o. The 3 year old has been home with me because of COVID, and I work full time from home. I'm dying. But, she goes to school in the fall so I figured I could finally apply for my doctorate! We're rockstars ?  

***I'm also sensitive to anyone going through infertility who wants to be in the rockstar club. You are rockstars. It took me 8 rounds of IVF and 4 pregnancies to get my second.

I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and due in July with my first. ? My partner and I had been told by our MD that we wouldn't be able to have children so you can imagine my surprise when that turned out not to be true. I applied before I knew I was pregnant and (with the help of a supportive partner!) am going to do my best to balance grad school and family life in the fall. I'm sure it will be an occasionally bumpy road, but they've both been lifelong dreams, so.. we will see what happens! 

47 minutes ago, EpiHopeful22 said:

Did anyone who was accepted into the UNC epi program hear about funding yet? I received an offer and a little disappointed about the stipend :/. I am really excited about the program, but seeing the stipend offer was a little sad...

I think the funding info will come soon. But I am not sure if it is same for international students.