PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

On 3/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, al23224 said:

Has anyone got an official rejection from UNC HPM? 

I have seen some acceptance to this program, and so far, it was radio silence for me, so I assume it's a rejection, though just curious. 

Same here, silence from my side, would greatly appreciate if anyone has info! 

2 hours ago, pblchealth22 said:

Same here, silence from my side, would greatly appreciate if anyone has info! 

The virtual info session/visit day for UNC HPM admitted student is March 25. My guess is department is waiting for people's decisions before releasing more spots. For example I am still waiting to hear back from my POI to schedule a zoom meeting. Although I have preferred offers in hand, I'd like to get to know more about the program, connect with my POI and discuss my future research plans (even if it's at another program) to see if there are potential collaboration opportunities before I make a well-informed decline decision. Hope this helps! 

Here’s my final list:

Accepted: UMass HPM, UW Global Health Implementation Science, UNC MCH, Tulane IHSD, UPitt BCHS, UBC population and public health

Waitlist: BU DrPH, Emory GHD, Dartmouth HPCP

Rejected: Brown HSR, GWU Global Health, JHSPH DrPH, UMN HSRPA, WashU, Yale SBS, (assuming JHSPH SBI but haven’t heard officially. No word from program).

The best funding offer is from UMass. I just received a funding offer from UNC and am strongly considering it. I have applied to a funding opportunity at UW but haven’t heard yet. Unsure about funding at other accepted programs. 

Good luck to all as you weigh your decisions and/or prep for next cycle. This is my second cycle. It can get better! 

PS. I just welcomed my baby girl into the world this week! It’s been a big week!

13 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

Here’s my final list:

Accepted: UMass HPM, UW Global Health Implementation Science, UNC MCH, Tulane IHSD, UPitt BCHS, UBC population and public health

Rejected: Brown HSR, GWU Global Health, JHSPH DrPH, UMN HSRPA, WashU, Yale SBS, (assuming JHSPH SBI but haven’t heard officially. No word from program).

The best funding offer is from UMass. I just received a funding offer from UNC and am strongly considering it. I have applied to a funding opportunity at UW but haven’t heard yet. Unsure about funding at other accepted programs. 

Good luck to all as you weigh your decisions and/or prep for next cycle. This is my second cycle. It can get better! 

PS. I just welcomed my baby girl into the world this week! It’s been a big week!

Hey, congratulations on the arrival of little one. If you don't mind me asking, are you an international student? I was accepted to UNC MCH too. But, no funding offered to me as yet. I am an international student. So, just trying to understand. Thanks

15 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

The virtual info session/visit day for UNC HPM admitted student is March 25. My guess is department is waiting for people's decisions before releasing more spots. For example I am still waiting to hear back from my POI to schedule a zoom meeting. Although I have preferred offers in hand, I'd like to get to know more about the program, connect with my POI and discuss my future research plans (even if it's at another program) to see if there are potential collaboration opportunities before I make a well-informed decline decision. Hope this helps! 

Thanks for the info, this is super helpful! Do you know if they interview everyone they may send acceptances to, or that is not indicative if someone will get in? I didn't have an interview so trying to gauge if this is indicative of a rejection. Thanks! 

13 hours ago, PhDphfinal said:

Hey, congratulations on the arrival of little one. If you don't mind me asking, are you an international student? I was accepted to UNC MCH too. But, no funding offered to me as yet. I am an international student. So, just trying to understand. Thanks

I’m a domestic student. I’d reach out directly to your advisor or the department to ask! I think they’re working on the funding packages now.

Is anyone else just refreshing this page constantly? I have already committed to a program but am waiting to hear from one and I still want to know out of curiosity. The programs that haven't sent decisions yet are killing me! And I haven't seen anyone else here post a decision from Rutgers, where I've committed, so I'm dying to know that too, just to see if anyone has heard anything. 

On 3/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, publichealthPhD said:

Here’s my final list:

Congratulations! Just wanted to ask you, when did you hear from UPitt BCHS? Did they interview you? I have also applied for the same programme but I haven't received any email yet. 

1 hour ago, PhD2022_dd said:

Congratulations! Just wanted to ask you, when did you hear from UPitt BCHS? Did they interview you? I have also applied for the same programme but I haven't received any email yet. 

I interviewed at the end of February and received the acceptance last week. I’m not sure what their process is — could potentially still be interviewing! I interviewed directly with my POI.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:01 PM, pblchealth22 said:

Thanks for the info, this is super helpful! Do you know if they interview everyone they may send acceptances to, or that is not indicative if someone will get in? I didn't have an interview so trying to gauge if this is indicative of a rejection. Thanks! 

My impression is that interview isn't required. But I could be wrong! I had that interview very early in the application cycle for potential fellowship nomination (they nominate in mid Jan so it was a time sensitive interview request). 

For anyone that applied to the DrPH program at Columbia, or for anyone who is reading this- I found out last Friday that the school actually decided to not accept anyone for the DrPH program this year. This is after interviewing and being told  that my application was at the top of the batch, amongst other good things. Maybe I was too naive to think that I really had a good shot because I was really hopeful and started envisioning what I would do once I started. I was completely at lost for a couple of days and in utter shock. Why would they interview applicants and then decide to shut down the program?? Apparently, it was due to the unionization of some departments and funding. Anyways, happy for those who got in this year to their program of choice! I am still pretty upset about it, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it now. I also wonder if this has happened to any other users? for different schools? 

1 hour ago, ArkDrPH2022 said:

For anyone that applied to the DrPH program at Columbia, or for anyone who is reading this- I found out last Friday that the school actually decided to not accept anyone for the DrPH program this year. This is after interviewing and being told  that my application was at the top of the batch, amongst other good things. Maybe I was too naive to think that I really had a good shot because I was really hopeful and started envisioning what I would do once I started. I was completely at lost for a couple of days and in utter shock. Why would they interview applicants and then decide to shut down the program?? Apparently, it was due to the unionization of some departments and funding. Anyways, happy for those who got in this year to their program of choice! I am still pretty upset about it, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it now. I also wonder if this has happened to any other users? for different schools? 

I don't know if it was you, but I have seen someone mention this about the Columbia program. How absolutely horrible. Applying is so much work, so much emotional investment, that it feels like garbage for a program to do that. I also previously saw that they're not offering to refund anyone's application fee. I've never heard of this before, but this is my first doctoral app cycle. I'm sorry this happened to you. I would be so bummed. 

Hi! I was hoping I could get some advice.

I have been accepted to two programs (Program A and Program B ) and am waitlisted at another (Program C). I am planning on declining Program A, as I prefer Program B but am not officially accepting that program until I get more information about my waitlist position at Program C. However, the decision form for Program A wants me to write where I have chosen to go instead. What should I write if I'm not 100% sure?

Sorry if this is confusing!

2 hours ago, phd_2022 said:

Hi! I was hoping I could get some advice.

I have been accepted to two programs (Program A and Program B ) and am waitlisted at another (Program C). I am planning on declining Program A, as I prefer Program B but am not officially accepting that program until I get more information about my waitlist position at Program C. However, the decision form for Program A wants me to write where I have chosen to go instead. What should I write if I'm not 100% sure?

Sorry if this is confusing!

I would just write whatever you want - it's not really their business anyway. :) They just like to know for their sense of who their "competition" is in terms of other programs.

4 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

My POI at Tulane IHSD told me there’s no tuition waver but they can offer an RA-ship at $18/hr. I will be declining the offer. Just an FYI to anyone applying there in the future. Horrible funding situation! 

Wow, that is appalling. In NYC you can make more $$ per hour working at Target. I wonder who they think would take them up on that offer? Independently wealthy applicants or people whose job would pay?

6 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

My POI at Tulane IHSD told me there’s no tuition waver but they can offer an RA-ship at $18/hr. I will be declining the offer. Just an FYI to anyone applying there in the future. Horrible funding situation! 

That is horrible. Thanks for sharing! The funding situation is really disappointing for many public health programs. Hope your UW funding works out as it's a great program (and I'm jealous!).  

To add some funding info - For NYU GPH the 'fellowship' stipend is ~$32K for 9 months, insurance (except dental) and fees covered for 12 months, guaranteed for 5 yrs, with a 20 hours research 'requirement' but in talking with current students it's not strictly enforced and not count as employment (it's not a RAship). International students could take on additional RA/TA for pay if really needed (mentioning this because we are capped at 20hrs/week on campus employment during academic semesters by law).

9 month stipend gives student the flexibility over the summer, everyone's summer looks differently. As an international student, my options would be limited so I had a conversation with my assigned advisors and they guaranteed three years summer 15 week full-time (35 hrs/week) RA at $26/hr, with potential to renew, which I heard is a standard rate for doctoral student. 

Comparing to many other public universities' funding packages, I feel very grateful. 

2 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

That is horrible. Thanks for sharing! The funding situation is really disappointing for many public health programs. Hope your UW funding works out as it's a great program (and I'm jealous!).  

To add some funding info - For NYU GPH the 'fellowship' stipend is ~$32K for 9 months, insurance (except dental) and fees covered for 12 months, guaranteed for 5 yrs, with a 20 hours research 'requirement' but in talking with current students it's not strictly enforced and not count as employment (it's not a RAship). International students could take on additional RA/TA for pay if really needed (mentioning this because we are capped at 20hrs/week on campus employment during academic semesters by law).

9 month stipend gives student the flexibility over the summer, everyone's summer looks differently. As an international student, my options would be limited so I had a conversation with my assigned advisors and they guaranteed three years summer 15 week full-time (35 hrs/week) RA at $26/hr, with potential to renew, which I heard is a standard rate for doctoral student. 

Comparing to many other public universities' funding packages, I feel very grateful. 

Wow, thank you for sharing NYU's funding commitment! This is very helpful to see. I am struggling to make a decision between programs because the funding commitment from some schools is very sad. Like for Hopkins SBS, they offered tuition and health insurance guaranteed for 4 years but no guaranteed stipend amount. They say you can make about $20K working as a RA during the school year (19hrs/week), with a potential to make more over the summer. Many students have also said they often cannot make it to 19hrs/week of work due to the heavy course load in the first year. Not having a guaranteed amount per year makes it very hard to plan your life around and also just feels like they aren't committed to you. I keep thinking "I don't know how they think they can get away with this" but they do, and people still go?