PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

3 minutes ago, FuturePhDPls said:

hi! Yes, I was invited to tomorrow's event! I think my interviews were more informal so that they could clarify what my research interests are and align them with faculty there. I think my personal statement may have not been specific enough for them to figure out exactly what my interests are. Have you checked your YouSc account to see if any admissions have been made? I think it's a VERY good sign that you were invited to tomorrow's event and I don't think interviews are mandatory. :)

Hi! Thank you so much for your prompt reply!! That is very good to hear! I haven't heard anything about the YouSc account yet- is this something that we should create by ourselves or if they will send us instructions to create it? Also, I informally talked to two of my POIs last November before submitting my apps, and reached out to one through email. So I am not sure if there will be more interviews...? Would really love to see an accept during this EXTREMELY stressful time haha.

35 minutes ago, epi2022 said:

Hi! Thank you so much for your prompt reply!! That is very good to hear! I haven't heard anything about the YouSc account yet- is this something that we should create by ourselves or if they will send us instructions to create it? Also, I informally talked to two of my POIs last November before submitting my apps, and reached out to one through email. So I am not sure if there will be more interviews...? Would really love to see an accept during this EXTREMELY stressful time haha.

I knew someone who got into USC health behavior without interview first week of Jan so interviews aren't required. Not sure about the epi program. 

3 hours ago, epi2022 said:

Hi! I applied to USC and UMass Amherst too! I was offered to admission by UMass on Jan 12 but I guess it was because I submitted in November and ahead of time. Were you invited to the campus visit by USC?

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Umass Epid program. How soon after your interview did you get a decision on admission? Did you get any information about funding?

On 1/12/2022 at 1:09 AM, NervousPotato said:

Just finished an interview with Duke Pop Health. Not very thrilled with how I did and I wouldn't be surprised to be rejected. Very basic questions (but the basic ones are the more difficult ones, aren't they). Twitter threads on PhD interviews were helpful in my preparation, but you can't be prepared enough I guess. One down, a lot of waiting to go.

All the best to everyone. We got this.

Guess they were quite thrilled to have me. I received an offer of admission today.

Stats, FWIW:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.25, Masters GPA: 3.75 (WES assessment, though they looked at my actual transcripts from my country, which is a scale of 1 to 5, 1 highest)
  • 5+ first author publications in local journal, 2 co-author publications in mid-tier international journal
  • 10-year research and practice experience

Funding is guaranteed for the whole 5 years (with a fairly generous first year stipend) but they encourage you to apply for scholarships/grants, which I am happy to do anyway. I will wait for results from the other institutions, but definitely excited with this offer.

Rooting for everyone here! Looking forward to your success stories.

5 hours ago, epi2022 said:

I believe you should have received the login information/directions for your YouSC account after submitting your application! The YouSC portal is where they would post your official offer letter, but I think specifics in terms of funding may come from the department. 

30 minutes ago, NervousPotato said:

Guess they were quite thrilled to have me. I received an offer of admission today.

Stats, FWIW:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.25, Masters GPA: 3.75 (WES assessment, though they looked at my actual transcripts from my country, which is a scale of 1 to 5, 1 highest)
  • 5+ first author publications in local journal, 2 co-author publications in mid-tier international journal

Funding is guaranteed for the whole 5 years (with a fairly generous first year stipend) but they encourage you to apply for scholarships/grants, which I am happy to do anyway. I will wait for results from the other institutions, but definitely excited with this offer.

Congrats! 

By the time I knew about this program it already passed the deadline ;-;. Otherwise I would have applied to it. It looks like a really exciting program. 

41 minutes ago, NervousPotato said:

Stats, FWIW:

Cannot believe I’m saying this but…

I also received an acceptance letter to Duke’s pop health PhD! Same acceptance info as my (cohort!!!) colleague. 

Very very likely going to accept the offer. It just takes one YES!!! 

8 minutes ago, A0315 said:

Cannot believe I’m saying this but…

I also received an acceptance letter to Duke’s pop health PhD! Same acceptance info as my (cohort!!!) colleague. 

Very very likely going to accept the offer. It just takes one YES!!! 

There is a very good chance that I'll accept, I'm just holding out on any possible offers from places a bit closer to family in the Northeast.

But in any case, high five!

Edited by NervousPotato

On 1/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, DrPH Dan said:

Emailed BU, GWU, JHU, Harvard, & Columbia (all DrPH) about whether all interview invites already went out, whether an interview is needed for admission, and timeline for hearing back. Here are the responses thus far:

GWU - Still reviewing apps. Next steps will be given in the next few weeks.

Columbia (SMS) - No interviews are given for doctoral apps. Initial decisions mid-part of February.

Will report back when I get more responses!

I know someone who is involved in the GWU admissions process. They have completed interviews and had to submit their nominations for school-wide fellowships and scholarships by Jan 31. once that decision is made they should be sending out acceptance/rejections.

On 2/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, medception said:

Update: Received official admission to University of Minnesota Health Services Research, Policy and Administration Ph.D a few minutes ago.

Rejections: UPenn Wharton Health Econ Ph.D

Interviews: JHU Health Econ Ph.D, Brown HSR Ph.D, BU HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Acceptances: UMN HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Silence: Harvard, Yale, Michigan

from what I understand with Michigan's process there's a whole extra step applications go through before they get sent to departments to be reviewed so the process takes a little longer than others.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:27 AM, GenoTheCat said:

New member here, though I've been lurking for a bit. Congrats to those of you who got a UMN HSR acceptance. I didn't get anything sadly but still holding out hope. Just to throw it out there, this is where I'm at. Trying to not read too much into no interviews yet. 

Waiting: JHU, UMN, Drexel, Univ of Illinois Chicago (all HSR/health policy)

Accepted: UTHealth Health Econ/HSR

Update: just received an acceptance to UMN HSR! I am so thrilled, will definitely be accepting this offer unless I manage to get an acceptance to JHU.

5 minutes ago, medception said:

Congrats! Which JHU program did you interview for?

Thank you!! I haven't gotten any interviews anywhere, but I applied to JHU's HPM PhD, both the HSR track and Health and Public Policy. I'm not TOO concerned about my lack of interview there, as my research interests are very clear and very compatible with multiple faculty there so they likely didn't need to clarify anything. 

Edited by GenoTheCat

23 minutes ago, Photo Light said:

Has anyone heard from NYU epi? 

I interviewed for NYU’s Epi program through the med school in January (Vilcek program). They said I should hear back with a final decision first or second week of feb, so expecting something soon.

I also applied to NYU’s PhD program, Epi focus, with their public health school and have not heard anything back yet.

8 hours ago, Drphopeful90 said:

Has anyone heard back from Harvard DrPh? Or know if they conduct interviews?

I believe they had 2 rounds of interviews for shortlisted candidates. The last round was completed end of January.

32 minutes ago, epi_queeen said:

I interviewed for NYU’s Epi program through the med school in January (Vilcek program). They said I should hear back with a final decision first or second week of feb, so expecting something soon.

I also applied to NYU’s PhD program, Epi focus, with their public health school and have not heard anything back yet.

Congrats on your Vilcek interview, I hope it went well! And same, I applied to NYU's PhD, epi focus at the public health school and haven't heard anything. Hopefully we hear something soon!