PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

On 1/31/2022 at 2:07 PM, GoingGlobal said:

Received my second rejection of the cycle from Emory. Just waiting for other letters. I am feeling like I won’t be having any luck in this cycle. It seems like Tulane may have already had interviews based on this forum.

Emory - Rejection

Miami - Rejection

Harvard - Waiting

SDSU/UCSD - Waiting

Tulane - Waiting

Received Rejection from Harvard today. Not looking too bright for this season unfortunately. 

On 2/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, publichealth22 said:

Anxiously waiting to hear back from a few schools. Anyone here who applied to PhD programs have heard anything about timeline from Columbia, epi track (or others schools)?

Applied: Columbia, JHU, Brown, Harvard, Yale, BU

Interviewed: JHU (last week), Brown (last week)

Rejected: TBD

Accepted: TBD

Waitlisted: TBD

Update from above:

Applied: Columbia, JHU, Brown, Harvard, Yale, BU (all in Epi) 

Interviewed: JHU, Brown

Rejected: Harvard

Accepted: TBD

Waitlisted: TBD

Have a feeling the silence from Columbia will turn into a rejection. I haven’t seen anyone post about Yale or BU interview invites, yet. 

5 hours ago, cjz0318 said:

I just got an interview invitation from UCLA!

Hi! Congratulations! I also applied to UCLA Epi and have heard nothing from them... I know it is a long shot though... Could you please share your track in Epi? Also do you know if they have sent out all invites yet? I am assuming it is a rolling basis but I think they have sent out lots of invites already... Thanks in advance!

Edited by epi2022

4 hours ago, epi2022 said:

Hi! Congratulations! I also applied to UCLA Epi and have heard nothing from them... I know it is a long shot though... Could you please share your track in Epi? Also do you know if they have sent out all invites yet? I am assuming it is a rolling basis but I think they have sent out lots of invites already... Thanks in advance!

I am not sure about the interview invites, but I heard that the faculties will vote on Thursday. 

9 hours ago, GoingGlobal said:

Received Rejection from Harvard today. Not looking too bright for this season unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, InEquity said:

That must be difficult ? I read somewhere that every rejection is a redirection. Maybe something else is in store for you this year.

I really hope it works out for you this year. I love @InEquity's reframing. I want to share my story in case it's helpful. This is my second cycle applying. Last year I applied to a few programs and didn't get in anywhere. I used the year to regroup and re-strategize. So far I've been accepted into three programs, and I'm still in the process of interviewing for a few more. Meanwhile, re: Inequity's point, my partner and I saw this "lost year" as a little unexpected window to start our family. We're expecting our first child in the next few weeks! I really hope it works out for you this year, but if it doesn't, I hope you keep trying! If you end up needing to do this all over again next year and want to talk through application stuff, feel free to reach out. Someone on the forum did this for me last year and it made a huge difference in how I approached my applications this year.

21 hours ago, medception said:

I realized that my top two choices are Minnesota and Hopkins - Minnesota because of ResDAC and their strong health econ / biostats departments, and Hopkins because its in my backyard (would allow me to stay close to my family), and because I did my MPH at Hopkins and enjoyed it.

As for why I withdrew - BU's process is super drawn out for the caliber of the school and didn't seem worth it to continue, and I didn't feel like I vibed with Brown during interview day at all. Add to that I felt like they wasted our time selling us on the school when they were planning to reject 80% of us anyway haha.

HI, I'm actually on the fence with attending an interview weekend for one of the schools that sent me an invite (University of Rochester HSR). They sent me an agenda, and I will be interviewed by three consecutive panels (!). This will be quite a challenge as I am halfway around the world and will likely end up being interviewed past bedtime. I already got an admit from one of my top choices, but I think it would also be useful to see how the campus vibe and funding would be like for this other school when they do accept me.

I think I will still go, just to see, and also to keep my word, but it will be three exhausting nights.

Edited by NervousPotato

1 hour ago, NervousPotato said:

HI, I'm actually on the fence with attending an interview weekend for one of the schools that sent me an invite (University of Rochester HSR). They sent me an agenda, and I will be interviewed by three consecutive panels (!). This will be quite a challenge as I am halfway around the world and will likely end up being interviewed past bedtime. I already got an admit from one of my top choices, but I think it would also be useful to see how the campus vibe and funding would be like for this other school when they do accept me.

I think I will still go, just to see, and also to keep my word, but it will be three exhausting nights.

Hi, do you mind mentioning when you received  the invite from Rochester?

13 hours ago, RMSK said:

Is SBS social behavior? On their website it says admissions start going out in February

Yes SBS is social behavior! That's what I thought, which is why I was a little surprised to see the result posted yesterday. Maybe it was just a one-off type of thing. Holding onto a little hope...

Hey guys! I had a question.

So I interviewed with Rutgers for their PhD program in Social & Behavioral Health Sciences mid-January (like 3.5 weeks ago). They mentioned that results would come late January/early February. I haven't heard anything or seen anyone posting results from the program yet, but I was considering reaching out for a status update.

Would it be best to wait a bit longer or to just go ahead and email? And if I do email, should I reach out to the POIs I met with or just to the admissions office?

2 hours ago, NervousPotato said:

If you already got into your top choice, not sure what the utility is of putting yourself through that haha.

Hi, I am just getting started for pursuing my phD in International Relations. I need some guidance regarding how to chose a university with fully funded scholarships. Also what documents apart from Research Proposal is required? 

Does anyone know if UCLA Epi requires interviews with every accepted student or it's just optional? I have a professor that I really want to work with at UCLA and I spoke to him prior applying, and I also stated it clearly in my SOP why I want to work with him. I haven't heard a word about interviewing and I saw someone saying that UCLA is voting this Thursday, I don't know if I should still get my hopes up or I should expect a rejection.

2 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

I really hope it works out for you this year. I love @InEquity's reframing. I want to share my story in case it's helpful. This is my second cycle applying. Last year I applied to a few programs and didn't get in anywhere. I used the year to regroup and re-strategize. So far I've been accepted into three programs, and I'm still in the process of interviewing for a few more. Meanwhile, re: Inequity's point, my partner and I saw this "lost year" as a little unexpected window to start our family. We're expecting our first child in the next few weeks! I really hope it works out for you this year, but if it doesn't, I hope you keep trying! If you end up needing to do this all over again next year and want to talk through application stuff, feel free to reach out. Someone on the forum did this for me last year and it made a huge difference in how I approached my applications this year.

First time posting here so I am nervous. This is my second time applying as well and so far I have heard nothing. I applied to UW Implementation Science PhD (my dream program) alongside GW global health PhD and UCSF Epi. I felt like I had a better approach this time around and had great chats with faculty at UW so it is disheartening to feel like this cycle might not work out.

It is inspiring to read your post about re-strategizing and re-applying, still debating if I have it me to do this again. Do you think UW's interview invites/acceptances were rolling or sent out all at once? I am wondering if it is even worth it to reach out to them regarding the status of my application.

7 minutes ago, Dipipannu said:

Hi, I am just getting started for pursuing my phD in International Relations. I need some guidance regarding how to chose a university with fully funded scholarships. Also what documents apart from Research Proposal is required? 

I think you may opt to post your inquiry elsewhere in the site as this forum is for public health. There is a forum on political science here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/36-political-science-forum/. Good luck.

20 minutes ago, offersmakeitrain said:

Does anyone know if UCLA Epi requires interviews with every accepted student or it's just optional? I have a professor that I really want to work with at UCLA and I spoke to him prior applying, and I also stated it clearly in my SOP why I want to work with him. I haven't heard a word about interviewing and I saw someone saying that UCLA is voting this Thursday, I don't know if I should still get my hopes up or I should expect a rejection.

What is his initials? I heard one of my PI written on SOP is on Sabbatical which was not on the website, so maybe that’s the reason…? Interviews seemed like it is really up to the professors. For some schools they have less say to the admissions, and some seems like they recommend students to the committee. 

22 minutes ago, ArkDrPH2022 said:

Hi everyone! Just interviewed with Columbia's DrPH yesterday and wanted to note that they said decisions will be made by the end of February, early March. Wishing everyone the best of luck ❤️ 

Congratulations on the interview! Do you know if that holds true for the PhD programs, as well?

38 minutes ago, ArkDrPH2022 said:

Hi everyone! Just interviewed with Columbia's DrPH yesterday and wanted to note that they said decisions will be made by the end of February, early March. Wishing everyone the best of luck ❤️ 

Congrats on the interview! I hope it went well. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and heard the same timeline. Which track did you interview for? Wishing us both luck! Who knows, maybe we'll be in the same cohort (fingers crossed). :)