PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

24 minutes ago, healtheconphd said:

JHU PhD decisions for Health Policy & Management came out earlier this month. If you weren't accepted or put on a waitlist it's probably a rejection at this point.

I forgot to add I applied to HBS. I've only seen a couple decisions from them on here so it's hard to tell.

14 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Many factors to consider. For me, I want to be in an environment where I feel supported financially and with cultural atmosphere, but also I want to be surrounded by folks (hopefully not just one or two but a whole network of scholars) with research that I truly feel passion about.  For public universities & international student, it is not uncommon to have the none guaranteed offer, i would suggest talking to program directors and current students to understand if there are really people who paid out of pocket, or those who wanted to get funded eventually all get funded somehow. The work obligation might be higher in this way, but personally if I am surrounded and mentored by inspiring mentors, I am ok to commit 20hrs/week (even with other faculty as long as we have some alignments) in exchange of my tuition and stipend. It all comes to what you want, your own priorities, and your career plans.

Also, ideally I want to enroll in a program where there are more international students, so I wouldn't have to feel that i have to advocate for myself by myself all the time, but there is def one program I would throw away most of my considerations just to join the community (by community I mean the folks and their research, not the school/program fame). 

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I have been planning to reach out to the current students to get the perspective.

15 hours ago, StartLow_GoSlow said:

I forgot to add I applied to HBS. I've only seen a couple decisions from them on here so it's hard to tell.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. HBS finished interviews 2/4. My interviewer had said we'd be getting an email from the coordinator with the decision a couple of weeks after interviews. It's been about 3 weeks so hopefully they'll release more decisions soon. 

Accepted by UNC Health Policy and Management (Organization and Implementation Science minor). Two years of guaranteed funding. Starting third year student seek their own funding, email says~98% are able to secure funding, 61% on fellowship/dissertation award, 30% RA and 7% TA. 

1 hour ago, kalepotato said:

anyone heard from JHU social and behavioral interventions or Yale's social and behavioral sciences program? 

I had emailed Yale social and behavioural sciences admissions team today. They said, they will be sending out decisions early next week. Have you been interviewed or contacted by any professors or the admissions team yet? 

I have also applied for Yale's Social and Behavioural Sciences PhD program and UNC Health Behaviour. I have not received any communications from any one of them yet. 

1 minute ago, PhD2022_dd said:

I had emailed Yale social and behavioural sciences admissions team today. They said, they will be sending out decisions early next week. Have you been interviewed or contacted by any professors or the admissions team yet? 

I have also applied for Yale's Social and Behavioural Sciences PhD program and UNC Health Behaviour. I have not received any communications from any one of them yet. 

no, i haven't heard a single thing from yale since i submitted my application. did you interview with them? 

1 minute ago, kalepotato said:

no, i haven't heard a single thing from yale since i submitted my application. did you interview with them? 

No! Even I haven't heard anything from them. No interview notification either. I haven't seen anyone in this group posting about the program yet. 

Welp, it's feeling like another frustratingly quiet week for most of us DrPH applicants. Let's hope next week is the big decision week for most programs! Congrats to all who have received acceptances this week! I hope you get to celebrate this weekend!

Edited by DrPH Hopeful 2022

Apparently I spoke too soon. I just got two emails at around 5:30pm today - acceptances to Boston University (with a 50% tuition scholarship) and Georgia State University DrPH programs. Extremely grateful for these as I await the final decisions for my last few DrPH programs: 

accepted: Boston University & Georgia State University (interviewed at both)

waiting: Columbia (interviewed), Johns Hopkins, Indiana University, UIC

rejected (no interviews): Harvard, UNC, Emory PhD in Global Health

I hope you all hear good news soon. This waiting game has been brutal. 

1 hour ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Apparently I spoke too soon. I just got two emails at around 5:30pm today - acceptances to Boston University (with a 50% tuition scholarship) and Georgia State University DrPH programs. Extremely grateful for these as I await the final decisions for my last few DrPH programs: 

accepted: Boston University & Georgia State University (interviewed at both)

waiting: Columbia (interviewed), Johns Hopkins, Indiana University, UIC

rejected (no interviews): Harvard, UNC, Emory PhD in Global Health

I hope you all hear good news soon. This waiting game has been brutal. 

Both are amazing programs. Congratulations!

I received a rejection from Vanderbilt's Health Policy PhD program. Congratulations to those who made it.

Recap thus far, for posterity (all are PhD programs):

2 Acceptances: Duke PHS, GW HP
1 Waitlist: Brandeis SP(H)
8 Rejections: Vanderbilt HP, Brown HSR, Minnesota HSRPA, Boston HSR, WashU PHS, JHU (IH and HSR), UCLA HPM
3 Withdrawn after Interview Invite: Rochester HSR, VCU HSR, Iowa HSR
6 Pending: Harvard HP, Ohio State HP, Cornell PAM, UNC HPM, Drexel HSR, NYU PHPM

This was a costly cycle for me but it's worth it! Wishing everyone the best.

Edited by NervousPotato

I checked my email this morning and was thrilled to see an acceptance to CUNY SPH in Epidemiology (PhD). The program is a great fit for me and was actually the only one I applied to this season, so I'm beyond thrilled it worked out - I know they've been getting much more competitive in recent years so I had my doubts. Best of luck to you all! 

Just got an email from my PI at the University of Florida Epi PhD program to say that I have been accepted ?. The official letter will follow later this week. I definitely gave up on this one because I interviewed over a month ago. Y’all, please don’t give up hope like I did! ?

So far, it’s 2 acceptances (U of Arizona and Florida), 2 rejects (U of Washington and Boston University), and 1 pending (U of Minnesota).