PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

On 3/11/2022 at 11:55 PM, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

The virtual info session/visit day for UNC HPM admitted student is March 25. My guess is department is waiting for people's decisions before releasing more spots. For example I am still waiting to hear back from my POI to schedule a zoom meeting. Although I have preferred offers in hand, I'd like to get to know more about the program, connect with my POI and discuss my future research plans (even if it's at another program) to see if there are potential collaboration opportunities before I make a well-informed decline decision. Hope this helps! 

Had the visit today. UNC HPM: The TA stipend level is $8500/semester (no summer, summer you are on your own). The RA stipend level is $25k/year on a 12 month basis (but you have to find your own). This is really terrible for international student because this RA/TA would count as 20hrs/week employment maxed by law so no additional income allowed in academic semester. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

57 minutes ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Had the visit today. UNC HPM: The TA stipend level is $8500/semester (no summer, summer you are on your own). The RA stipend level is $25k/year on a 12 month basis (but you have to find your own). This is really terrible for international student because this RA/TA would count as 20hrs/week employment maxed by law so no additional income allowed in academic semester. 

Thanks so much for all this info. Was this solely for HPM? (Did they suggest at all that other departments are similar or were there students/faculty from other departments there or doing their own welcome day?)

22 hours ago, FuturePhDPls said:

Just got rejected from UCLA Community Health Sciences! Congratulations to all that have gotten in -- on to the next! :)

Also rejected from UCLA Community Health Sciences yesterday. Sorry to those of you in our sad lil boat and congrats to those with offers!

4 hours ago, 2022phdhealth said:

Thanks so much for all this info. Was this solely for HPM? (Did they suggest at all that other departments are similar or were there students/faculty from other departments there or doing their own welcome day?)

This is for HPM. This visit is department only and we didn’t ask for other department. But I know an international student from biostats who said her RA after tax pay is about 2k/month so I think the rate is pretty much the same across.

they did say eventually ppl who want funding would typically get funding and summer isn’t that difficult.

will decline this upcoming Monday 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

11 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

This is for HPM. This visit is department only and we didn’t ask for other department. But I know an international student from biostats who said her RA after tax pay is about 2k/month so I think the rate is pretty much the same across.

they did say eventually ppl who want funding would typically get funding and summer isn’t that difficult.

will decline this upcoming Monday 

Thanks for all the information - I appreciate it as I'm a bit in the dark right now. I hope you're thrilled with the offer you will be accepting!

On 3/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, healthphd said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from USC health economics program by far? Radio silence after their deadline in mid-Jan.

I am also waitlisted at Pitt HPM program, if you have other dominant offers, could you please do us on the waitlist a favor to turn your Pitt offer down? As this is the only potentially fully funded opportunity by now.

Thank you.

I was unofficially accepted by the USC health Econ PhD program last Monday. I reached out a couple weeks before for the update and was told that I was first on their waitlist. You may be on a silent waitlist, but not sure.

1 minute ago, Pharmacoeconphd said:

I was unofficially accepted by the USC health Econ PhD program last Monday. I reached out a couple weeks before for the update and was told that I was first on their waitlist. You may be on a silent waitlist, but not sure.

Congratulations on your acceptance! May I know who you reached out to? I wrote to the public admissions email on their website, but there had been always no reply.

2 minutes ago, Pharmacoeconphd said:

I reached out to the director (initials are Dr. SS). Best of luck and keep us posted!

Thank you! I wrote to the same guy but no response. I guess it is an implicit rejection for me. Were you interviewed btw?

2 minutes ago, healthphd said:

Thank you! I wrote to the same guy but no response. I guess it is an implicit rejection for me. Were you interviewed btw?

I was not interviewed. I also reached out to the same person several times with other questions/updates etc and never got a response until he notified me they I was the first on the waitlist and had a “very good chance at getting in”. Then I was notified of my acceptance on 3/14. I was very worried as it was my top choice. So not trying to get your hopes up, but I only got responses when there was some good news haha. Best of luck, pulling for you!

1 minute ago, Pharmacoeconphd said:

I was not interviewed. I also reached out to the same person several times with other questions/updates etc and never got a response until he notified me they I was the first on the waitlist and had a “very good chance at getting in”. Then I was notified of my acceptance on 3/14. I was very worried as it was my top choice. So not trying to get your hopes up, but I only got responses when there was some good news haha. Best of luck, pulling for you!

Cheers, and thank you for all your responses!  Hope we could meet at USC this fall !

My goodness, has anyone else heard from UIC for DrPH, yet? I know someone heard a while back but last I checked, most of us were still waiting. 

I didn't get into JH but mostly wanted to go if I'd received the Bloomberg fellowship, so a big congrats to anyone receiving acceptances on those. That's a big deal! 

Have not heard anything back from UCSD, but I think it's safe to say it's a rejection! I accepted my offer at UCI and turned down my offer to USC. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting or making a decision; this was a really tough cycle, but it's almost over! 

Hello,

Is there anyone who interviewed with GWU DrPH program and has yet to hear any response? I’ve tried emailing the admissions office a few times but still have no response. Just trying to get some insight on things! 

Does anyone know if they are still planning on sending acceptances? I’m still very interested ?.

The Johns Hopkins SBI PhD program is the only program I haven’t heard anything from. For anyone else in the same boat, I got a little info today: They’ve already sent out their initial 4 offers. I’m apparently on some kind of short list but that was never communicated to me. If you haven’t heard anything from this program, it’s possible you’re on some kind of waitlist. I’ve already accepted another offer so it’s a bit of a moot point for me, but wanted to share in case this is relevant for you. Best of luck!

20 hours ago, FuturePhDPls said:

Have not heard anything back from UCSD, but I think it's safe to say it's a rejection! I accepted my offer at UCI and turned down my offer to USC. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting or making a decision; this was a really tough cycle, but it's almost over! 

9 hours ago, GoingGlobal said:

@FuturePhDPls Congrats! I received an email from the Dept Head of the GH concentration for the JDP program at SDSU/UCSD this past week. I think they are sorting out and finalizing funding before sending out offers.

SDSU/UCSD has been super slow (I just received my offer last week in Health Behavior) but I am going to be turning down that offer and moving forward with another school so it's possible they may move to an unofficial waitlist for additional offers. 

On 3/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, 2022phdhealth said:

Also rejected from UCLA Community Health Sciences yesterday. Sorry to those of you in our sad lil boat and congrats to those with offers!

Same here! Just waiting in my SDSU/UCSD rejection now, I think I will go ahead and accept my offer at CUNY. Good luck to everyone!

Finally just heard from the last school I was waiting on. University of Toronto Social & Behavioural Health Sciences program just emailed to say that the reason they hadn't communicated with me was that I was on some kind of waitlist but those spots have been confirmed so it's now a rejection. Nice to know now but I wish they had communicated the waitlist notification earlier! 

Going to be accepting my offer at Hopkins SBS - if anyone else will be joining that cohort feel free to message me! Excited to meet y'all in the fall.