2022 Application Thread

dr. t

1 minute ago, Mile6 said:

I haven’t (I’m an Americanist). Because of the smaller pool of admits, I feel like it’s most likely we didn’t make the cut and the people who did just aren’t on gradcafe. I’m assuming the same is also true for Columbia.

You mean that you did not have an interview or you did have an interview? Did you not hear after the interview? I am sorry I did not understand. Thanks. 

@Mile6, I'm a Berkeley admit, but nope, haven't heard anything. I zoomed with a current student yesterday who said the base stipend now is around 34k. (Wasn't always that much, however...) Anyway, I think the department's just slow in getting the funding package info sent out. I'm also planning on flying out there to visit, hopefully soon, to expedite the decision making process. 

@Kashew_Nuts93, if you're applying in early modern for Notre Dame, I'm happy to talk. I was an early modernist in the History PhD program there for a few years. 

Edited by emeraldsapphire

Okay....so if my portal for Brown didn't update, with all these rejections going on, does this mean it's an admit??? Anyone else have no update at Brown?

Also, my roommate got a waitlist at Duke, but my portal hasn't updated there. Again, anyone know what's going on??? 

(I have class in 30 minutes and am dying inside guys, help.)

8 minutes ago, emeraldsapphire said:

@Mile6, I'm a Berkeley admit, but nope, haven't heard anything. I zoomed with a current student yesterday who said the base stipend now is around 34k. (Wasn't always that much, however...) Anyway, I think the department's just slow in getting the funding package info sent out. I'm also planning on flying out there to visit, hopefully soon, to expedite the decision making process. 

@Kashew_Nuts93, if you're applying in early modern for Notre Dame, I'm happy to talk. I was an early modernist in the History PhD program there for a few years. 

Thanks! Honestly I’m not rushing them, just glad to know I’m not alone. I know UVa made last minute increases to their funding packages (a family friend is a prof in a different dept), so I’m hoping Berkeley might be considering something similar. Inflation/rent increases are way outpacing stipend raises :(

@Mile6 dude, I know. Have been looking at rent prices in the Bay Area and it's crazy. Not to mention that grad housing is already filling up out there (one place started accepting applications today) but one can't put a deposit down on the grad housing without having accepted the offer, which I'm not ready to do yet (hence the visiting soon). Also, fiddleleaf31 (another admit) and I have a PM thread going on that you're invited to (check you GC inbox ?). 

Edited by emeraldsapphire

4 hours ago, nws said:

the second acceptance was me! British/Atlantic subfield.

Apparently the department has voted on candidates but the dean hasn't formally approved them yet, so its totally possible that some POIs are waiting until it's official-official 

Huge congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the info! Really crossing my fingers on Chicago, seemed like a great fit and great connection/enthusiasm from my POI, but just haven't heard anything yet. 

1 minute ago, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Really crossing my fingers on Chicago, seemed like a great fit and great connection/enthusiasm from my POI, but just haven't heard anything yet. 

Same here, hopefully we will hear something soon

57 minutes ago, cafe0294 said:

Has anyone else been interviewed for PhD in History at Yale? Have you heard anything from the POIs and the department yet? 

I received an email from Yale in December, asking to move my application to a different faculty. Last week I received a message that asked to transfer my application to the MA program. Full disclosure, I overloaded myself last semester and this application was not my best work. This was not a "full round of applications" 

Still, I am in my final semester of a different humanities MA program (not at Yale) now and felt a little terrible about the recent request to transfer my application to the MA program, and will probably be super depressed if I am not even offered that. 

Has anyone else experienced any of this? I don't know what to make of it. 

Edited by doce

1 hour ago, MatildaMedievalist said:

Okay....so if my portal for Brown didn't update, with all these rejections going on, does this mean it's an admit??? Anyone else have no update at Brown?

Also, my roommate got a waitlist at Duke, but my portal hasn't updated there. Again, anyone know what's going on??? 

(I have class in 30 minutes and am dying inside guys, help.)

Sounds pretty promising to me!

Hi Everyone! I am new to GradCafe, but applied for history phd programs this year. I received my first decision and was waitlisted at UVA. I  honestly was not sure if I even had a shot, so I am pretty excited, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the odds typically are for getting off of the waitlist at UVA? Or if anyone has advice on if there is anything else that I should do to show interest in the program while I wait for a final decision (I was notified via an update on my application portal). 

Edited by Hello2000

Also got a rejection from Berkeley. Gotta say, getting an interview request in December with a top choice at a top school, and having the interview and being told you're in the final group only to end up with a rejection definitely hurts. Nowhere to go but up though!

Re everyone who's rejected from UCB post interview: It was the #1 ranked history graduate school this year and was very selective. If you got to the interview stage, it means you have a great application, and I bet you'll hear good things soon enough if you have a wide net cast.

Edited by BalkanItinerant

13 hours ago, cafe0294 said:

Has anyone else been interviewed for PhD in History at Yale? Have you heard anything from the POIs and the department yet? 

Had an interview on 12 January. Haven't heard anything since. Sub-field is African History. Hope this helps

On 1/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, saintesprit said:

Hi! I had an interview with Yale really early, in the first week of January (before I knew this forum existed) - it was in the African history subfield, I was interviewed very formally/intensely by three professors...they said I'd hear from them in early February but also that they're only taking 1 person in African history, lol. It seems interviews go by subfield so that might not have bearing on your application! 

Hey - also a first-time user here. Just piping up to say that I also had a Yale interview in January, in the second week, with three professors for African History. They also mentioned that only 1 or 2 people are admitted for this field. Haven't heard anything back so far - have you? Best of luck to you!

Hello. Posting for the first time but this group has been a big source of support for a long time. Wanted to ask if there are any South Asianists and if they have heard anything. Also, if one hasn't been interviewed, does it mean a definite rejection? 

2 minutes ago, teaANDanxiety said:

Hello. Posting for the first time but this group has been a big source of support for a long time. Wanted to ask if there are any South Asianists and if they have heard anything. Also, if one hasn't been interviewed, does it mean a definite rejection? 

Not a South Asianist, but definitely don't think that 'no interview = rejection' - it depends on the place and department that you applied to. Some places won't interview (in my experience Brown), while some do (in my experience Yale).